www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
 Post subject: Re: BE BOP DELUXE TOUR DATES
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:45 pm 
New in Town

I would have been at the Balls Park College one because I was on the social committee at the time. Me and the social sec, Mike Plummer' were very excited, because we'd always wanted to hear a bonafide axe hero and had been sent an advance copy of Futurama. This is where my memory gets a bit hazy because I'm wondering if they actually played twice. The first was a regular gig on October 14th 1974 and I remember Bill asking me if he could take one of the posters I made from the bar (I wouldn't let him have the best one :P ).

Then there was this mysterious second gig, which featured Charlie Toumahai and Simon Fox. There was a keyboard player, but he stood almost out of sight and I think this might have been Bill's young brother standing in. We were offered the gig at quite short notice, because the band were due to [lay their first showcase gig in London and they needed somewhere for a kind of dress rehearsal. Unfortunately this was taken rather literally, because there we all sat on the floor waiting (customary in those days), while a very long intro tape was being played. The band came on, played a few notes of the first song and then went off again. We then had to sit and wait while the entire intro tape was played again. We weren't very happy about this but felt we couldn't really complain because we had managed a bit of a scoop in getting a band who were just stating to get a lot of rave reviews, so which we wouldn't normally have been able to afford.

I could have sworn they played Ships In The Night and perhaps one or two other tracks from the following year's Sunburst Finish, but if this was definitely not possible I'll have to concede that I'm wrong about that. http://www.petersharpe.co.uk/testpics/BbD_poster.jpg

Sorry, but it won't let me imbed the image for some reason. The sharp-eyed among you may have noticed that it doesn't actually have the band's name on it, but that's because I became to engrossed with my ink dribbling technique that I forgot all about such minor details. I had to write it out on a separate piece of paper which was stuck onto the bottom, but looked pretty awful so was willingly lost afterwards. You'll just have to take my word for it that it definitely was Be Bop Deluxe. :P

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:28 pm 
New in Town

Having just found a copy of the original ad we placed in the music press, I can confirm that the second of the two dates played at Balls Park was with Chopyn on Saturday 14th June 1975.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:36 pm 
New in Town

Hello!

I have two more US dates to add! One I have a tape of but don't have the exact date from October 1976. Be Bop warmed up Heart in Columbus, Ohio at Veterans Memorial Aud. and I was there. My co-worker taped a bit of the crew setting up the gear, a very little of Bill after the show in the parking lot, and the show it self with Mick Close on rythmn. The version of Blazing Apostles is really very interesting. Sadly, I have no ticket stub nor have I had any luck finding the exact date.

The other show, which I have a ticket stub from, was a headline show in Youngstown, Ohio on Oct. 16, 1977. It was an amazing show with a massive set list! We went back stage and visited with everyone. Such a great memory.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13