www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: BE BOP DELUXE TOUR DATES
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:32 pm 
Regular

felixt1 wrote:
Bill Nelson wrote:

I said to the audience that our only alternative would be to teach the Cult how to play a couple of our songs, but jokingly adding that I hadn't got six months of my time to spare! :shock: :lol:

William Nelson! :shock:

You should be ashamed of yourself :lol: :wink:

What about "Fair Exchange" but with MORE COWBELL !!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:16 pm 
Regular

However, digging out these ancient itineries and itemising every show and their details is something I don't really have the time, (or inclination,) for but it may be something that I can delegate to someone else when I finally get around to writing that particular chapter of my autobiography. :wink: :) [/quote]

I'm sure you won't lack for a few willing Nelsonians ready to wade through your back pages Bill! But just in case pencil me in!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:11 pm 
Regular

Location: Uncle Sam Humanoid in the New York City metro area.
Bill Nelson wrote:
GettingOnTheBeam wrote:
I see Be Bop did a lot of touring with Blue Oyster Cult. I wonder what Bill thought of their music?

Oh, I got myself in trouble with them! I think I've told this story before but here it is again:

On one of the shows we did with them, our equipment hadn't arrived due to our truck coming off the road somewhere on route, so we couldn't play. It was at a big stadium type venue and the promoter said to me that there were lots of Be Bop Deluxe fans in the audience and would I go out on stage and explain the situation to the vast crowd. So I walked to the centre of the huge stage in my street clothes and explained that we couldn't perform due to an accident with our truck. (I actually have a photo' of me doing this.) I was so nervous and to try and make light of the situation I said to the audience that our only alternative would be to teach the Cult how to play a couple of our songs, but jokingly adding that I hadn't got six months of my time to spare! :shock: :lol:

Of course, the Cult's crew heard my comment and ran backstage to tell their masters of this young English upstart's insinuation that Be Bop's music might prove more than a little difficult for them to play. Apparently, they were less than pleased. The result was that for the rest of the tour we were cold-shouldered, given short-shrift at soundchecks, half-power on the pa system, poor monitoring, etc. My wrists were well and truly slapped... :oops:

Of course, nowadays I wouldn't be so ungracious but I was less mature back then and musically quite 'cocky'...I suppose this, combined with the stress/nervousness of the situation, brought out the more wicked side of my sense of humour. Unfortunately BOC didn't seem to have much humour to spare. :lol:

Ha Ha Ha...Great Story! Although you probably didn't think it was so great at the time.

At least one of them went to my high school in Long Island (New York State) and I can tell you that you got off easy if their attitudes were anything like those of other Long Islanders at the time!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:39 pm 
Regular

Neat thread. I must have been asleep for this one.

Those were some weird bills, Bill.

The Dictators and Be Bop Deluxe. :shock:

The Tubes and Be Bop Deluxe. I have always suspected Michael Cotten got his look from Bill Nelson.

Making that modern music 'n stuff... :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:54 am 
The Citizen

wonder toy wrote:
The Tubes and Be Bop Deluxe. I have always suspected Michael Cotten got his look from Bill Nelson.

Very similar to Be Bop Deluxe's suit and tie look from the 'Modern Music' album cover! But it looks like they're a barber shop short of perfection...
"Oy! You with the beard, sir! Yes You! Get yer hair cut you 'orrible little man!" :wink: :lol:
There's always one guy in a band who refuses to get their hair cut, isn't there? I had a similar problem with Andy at first. He took a while to see the point of a strong image. It was the 'I'm a musician, not a catwalk model' argument...but he came round in the end. I can be very persuasive when I need to be. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:32 pm 
Regular

KEEF1959 wrote:

I'm sure you won't lack for a few willing Nelsonians ready to wade through your back pages Bill! But just in case pencil me in!

Hi KEEF1959. I can validate the two Be Bop shows at the Palace Theater, Albany, NY. I was at both of those.

The Palace Theater is a great 3000 seat venue in downtown Albany. I lived in downtown Albany in the late 1970s. They brought many bands to play there. I used to make it a regular practice to call their event phone line to see who was coming and when tickets were on sale.

One of the best shows I saw there was Muddy Waters, Johnny Winter, and James Cotton (and their blues band) play. The crowd was not happy b/c they wanted Johnny to play rock and roll, and this was a blues show. It was a *great* blues show. Had front row seats for that one. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:37 pm 
Regular

Bill Nelson wrote:

Of course, nowadays I wouldn't be so ungracious but I was less mature back then and musically quite 'cocky'...I suppose this, combined with the stress/nervousness of the situation, brought out the more wicked side of my sense of humour. Unfortunately BOC didn't seem to have much humour to spare. :lol:

I'm sorry to hear that, Bill. People do need to keep their sense of humor of things. :?

I was a *huge* BOC fan in the 1970s. I liked a lot of their songwriting as well, but BOC's style is really different than yours. I wasn't into the whole biker thing, but did (and still do) think Buck Dharma had some really decent chops as a guitar player. 'Pod.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:46 pm 
Regular

Bill Nelson wrote:
wonder toy wrote:

Very similar to Be Bop Deluxe's suit and tie look from the 'Modern Music' album cover! But it looks like they're a barber shop short of perfection...
"Oy! You with the beard, sir! Yes You! Get yer hair cut you 'orrible little man!" :wink: :lol:
There's always one guy in a band who refuses to get their hair cut, isn't there? I had a similar problem with Andy at first. He took a while to see the point of a strong image. It was the 'I'm a musician, not a catwalk model' argument...but he came round in the end. I can be very persuasive when I need to be. :lol:

:lol: :lol:

It's always the keyboardist, eh?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:43 pm 
Regular

Radium Girl wrote:
BeBop Deluxe with Y&T and Tom Petty? :|

Yep. We were there. Funny though, I remember Petty being the opener. We saw all of the BBD shows except for the April 1976 show. Can't what we did but I know that we had to be somewhere else and there was no getting out of it. I regret it too because it got a glowing review in the paper.

I think that Petty show wasn't as strange as the Ted Nugent / Rush show. BBD sandwiched between Rush and Ted Nugent wasn't the best arrangement. I think that that was the first time that I wore earplugs to a concert. No, not because of Ted's music. More to do with the volume. He played damn loud.

That was one of the great things about Winterland. Bill Graham always programmed 3 bands. Sometimes you got some surprising combinations :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:11 pm 
Regular

Amen to THAT! Graham loved to create odd combinations of acts, but I discovered some great music that way.

I was also at that show with Nugent, and recall that my friends and I decided to walk around the catwalk that ran around the hall up near the roof. (Nugent was intensely boring, but we'd paid our money and weren't going home early!) I remember placing my hand against the building and feeling it vibrate from the volume of noise.

For the record -- "the record" being the list of dates -- I'll add my confirmation of those SF shows, though I doubt Petty went on before Y&T, Merikan. They (Y&T) were not well-known enough at that point and generally opened shows. I could be wrong, as I honestly don't remember... but just basing this comment on seeing them open for quite a few bands during that period.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next