www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject: Re: BE BOP DELUXE TOUR DATES
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:46 am 
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:58 pm 
New in Town

sauropod wrote:
BikerDude wrote:
It's an old thread but I've landed here.
I listen to tunes while I work.
One thing led to another and I was Googling "Bee Bop Deluxe Albany NY 1978"
And landed at this thread.
Yes I was there at the Palace theater and I've been a Bee Bop / Bill Nelson fan since.
A friend went to the Bee Bop show a few months earlier and raved about it.
I just remember that it was a great show and the next day I went out and bought 3 albums.
Such a mind blowing blast from the past.

Cheers!!

Was that the Drastic Plastic tour? I was at two Palace Theater shows. One was the LITAA tour, and the other was the Drastic Plastic tour. I was already spun up on BBD due to Sunbirst Finish getting regular play on FM radio. 8)

Cheers. 'Pod.

I believe it was.
If memory serves the next day I bought Drastic Plastic, Live In the Air Age and Axe Victim on vinyl.
Sadly after storing several milk crates full of vinyl albums throughout the 80's and 90's I sold the whole lot.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:08 pm 
Regular

BikerDude wrote:
sauropod wrote:
BikerDude wrote:
It's an old thread but I've landed here.
I listen to tunes while I work.
One thing led to another and I was Googling "Bee Bop Deluxe Albany NY 1978"
And landed at this thread.
Yes I was there at the Palace theater and I've been a Bee Bop / Bill Nelson fan since.
A friend went to the Bee Bop show a few months earlier and raved about it.
I just remember that it was a great show and the next day I went out and bought 3 albums.
Such a mind blowing blast from the past.

Cheers!!

Was that the Drastic Plastic tour? I was at two Palace Theater shows. One was the LITAA tour, and the other was the Drastic Plastic tour. I was already spun up on BBD due to Sunbirst Finish getting regular play on FM radio. 8)

Cheers. 'Pod.

I believe it was.
If memory serves the next day I bought Drastic Plastic, Live In the Air Age and Axe Victim on vinyl.
Sadly after storing several milk crates full of vinyl albums throughout the 80's and 90's I sold the whole lot.

Blasphemy! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:39 pm 
New in Town

KEEF1959 wrote:
Well I do have quite a few other dates between 30 MAR 1973 and 25 May 1974. I was just interested to see if Bill & Co did support Kiki. The dates I have for that period are as follows:

14 Jun 1973? Balls Park College, Hertford Be Bop Deluxe, Chopyn

As I said I'm still chipping away trying to find every BBD gig played! I'll get there!

I think this date had to be in doubt, because I was at the two gigs that Be-bop Deluxe played at the college between 1972 and 1974 when I was a student there. I remember getting very excited when we booked the first one, after the Social Sec, Mike Plummer, received a pre-release copy of Futurama. I must admit that I was surprised to see that it came out in 1975, because I would have sworn it came out before that. I was a member of the Social Committee, so made up some posters, one of which Bill asked if he could have after the gig. He actually asked for the one shown here, but I suddenly decided I didn't want to part with it. I started out by dribbling ink onto the poster with no real idea of the end result, but it seemed to take its own shape after a few minutes. Then to my horror, I realised that I'd forgotten to leave any room for the band name, so tried to draw it on to look as if it had been rubber stamped. The ink ran and I made a terrible mess of it, but after going to all that trouble, decided to use it anyway. The one shown here is the same poster, but I have spent hours on it, removing the offending splodge a bit at a time. As you can see, the date doesn't match at all, but there is more to come.

The second time Be-bop Deluxe played, they were just starting to get a lot of publicity in the music press. Mike was quite friendly with the booking agent (Chris Smith?) and we were offered to host the band a second time, as a warm-up/practice session before their first big London gig. This is where things get a bit strange, because it was the new line-up, featuring Charlie Tumahai, Andy Clark and Simon Fox (I kept one of his drum sticks for years, after finding it on the edge of the stage when we were clearing up). The odd thing is that I feel absolutely certain they were playing tracks from Sunburst Finish, yet I left college in 1975 and that album came out in 1976. I remember sitting patiently, cross-legged on the floor (as was the done thing back then) while a very long intro tape was played prior to the band's arrival. Then they came on stage, to dry ice and white spotlights, then decided something wasn't quite right and they all paraded off again. Then we had to listen to the entire intro tape all over again. I feel fairly certain there was no support band that night, as their equipment could have interfered with the stage set. I'm also fairly sure we couldn't have afforded a support band with Be-bop Deluxe anyway, as we had a budget of about £200. When we did have one, unless it was a special-rate package being offered by the agent, we would use any decent local band who would play for expenses.

We did have the band, Chopyn, at college, but I remember us being given a copy of their album and Midnight Hour single, both of which were released in 1975.

EDIT: I've just looked it up and discovered that Saturday 19th October was 1974, so we must have had quite an early preview of Futurama.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:59 pm 
The Citizen

Peter Sharpe wrote:
I think this date had to be in doubt, because I was at the two gigs that Be-bop Deluxe played at the college between 1972 and 1974 when I was a student there. I remember getting very excited when we booked the first one, after the Social Sec, Mike Plummer, received a pre-release copy of Futurama.

If I remember correctly, 'Axe Victim' was a 1974 release and 'Futurama' was later. Nor do I recall any pre-release copies of the latter album being given to social secs. I'm not even sure the band stepped out of Yorkshire in 1972...that would only be one year after 'Northern Dream' and so the band, if it was in place, would be embryonic. :?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:04 pm 
Regular

If you were given a pre-release of "Futurama" at the first gig, then the band would have been what you refer to at the second gig as "the new line-up".

Your dates may be OK, but I think you have the wrong album - more likely to have been "Axe Victim".

Or your dates are wrong :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:50 pm 
New in Town

Most definitely Futurama, beyond any shadow of a doubt. He was actually told that it hadn't yet come out and he played extracts from it at our Friday college meeting in the main hall, in an attempt to persuade people it was worth going to. I remember buying a copy of Axe Victim after I'd heard Futurama. This is purely a guess, but I have a vague feeling the agent we booked from was called Chris Smith (I'll try to find out). I was actually at the college between September 1972 and around mid-July 1975 (I remember going to see Floyd at Knebworth about a week before I left).
The first gig would have been the one in October 1974 and the second in 1975. It was definitely the new line-up for the second gig.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:11 am 
Regular

Peter Sharpe wrote:
Most definitely Futurama, beyond any shadow of a doubt. ...
The first gig would have been the one in October 1974 and the second in 1975. It was definitely the new line-up for the second gig.
Futurama was recorded in early 1975. With Charlie Tumahai and Simon Fox from "the new line-up".

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11