www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: BE BOP DELUXE TOUR DATES
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:37 pm 
Regular

KEEF1959 wrote:
Hi Guys

Great stuff on the early diary entries for BBD gigs.

Looking at the dates I have already from the Music In Dreamland book and other sources, I think the missing gigs from 1972 could be:

The Cat’s Whiskers, Burnley
The Dearne Hotel, Bolton-on-Dearne
Clarence’s Roxy Club, Halifax

Three of the five 1973 missing gigs are:

13 Jan 1973 Wakefield Technical & Art College
03 Feb 1973 Duke of Cumberland, North Ferriby

15 Feb 1973 The Magnet Hotel, Airdale

Sheet 3 shows 2 of those dates

Missing/ obscured gig diary entries
TWO/THREE Dates From NOV 22>DEC 31 72 one being the Duke on dec 22 Courtesy of the m.i.d book!
FIVE Dates From FEB 4>MARCH 8 73

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:56 pm 
Regular

Puzzleoyster wrote:
Billy Wakefield wrote:
wowser PO! sheet 5! Dearne Hotel Bolton on Dearne I WAS THERE!
aged 14 (just) march '73 fackin 'ell!

Clickety Clack
That makes you a class of 59 ( i too am of that vintage) and how did you do it, were you tall and hirstute for your tiny age or did you blag with the clan!
Very Interesting... please impart your obvious clarity of the evenings proceedings :lol: :lol: :lol:

lol PO! Unfortunately I saw the gig from outside through the windows me and my pal had tried to get in but were politely told to eff off!
I remember nothing of the songs played other than I was completely blown away
and that this band struck a chord (sic) in me that has resonated ever since.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:59 pm 
Regular

Hi Bill

Still working on the BBD USA Tour dates. Been contacted by people who swore they saw youse guys with Van Halen as support, as well as you supporting Manfred Mann's Earthband and Peter Frampton.

Before I waste time & effort trying to track any dates down, do you have any memories of playing with these acts.

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:44 pm 
Regular

Amazing to find this thread in the ether! The 10.13.77 show in Waterbury CT at the Palace was to be my first concert. I had just turned 13 and BBD was my favorite band. The warm up act was atrocious, but my brother & I assured ourselves we would soon be swimming in the sounds of 'Sister Seagull!' After a 90-minute wait and lots of beer guzzling by rowdy older nearby concertgoers, an MC appeared to tell us that the concert was NOT in fact going to happen!

This was--to say the least--an unpopular announcement! We all got our money back, but BBD never came back to Connecticut. It was as if Sophia Loren had agreed to meet me for lunch and then failed to turn up!!

Flash forward to October 2004. I've just turned 40, and my wife surprises me with airline tickets to London and front row seats at the Bloomsbury show of the BBD and Beyond tour. Actually hung out afterward to meet Bill & chat for 10 minutes or so!!!

You see, kids, there ARE happy endings, and not just in Hollywood!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:34 am 
Regular

rob nelson wrote:
Amazing to find this thread in the ether! The 10.13.77 show in Waterbury CT at the Palace was to be my first concert. I had just turned 13 and BBD was my favorite band. The warm up act was atrocious, but my brother & I assured ourselves we would soon be swimming in the sounds of 'Sister Seagull!' After a 90-minute wait and lots of beer guzzling by rowdy older nearby concertgoers, an MC appeared to tell us that the concert was NOT in fact going to happen!

This was--to say the least--an unpopular announcement! We all got our money back, but BBD never came back to Connecticut. It was as if Sophia Loren had agreed to meet me for lunch and then failed to turn up!!

Flash forward to October 2004. I've just turned 40, and my wife surprises me with airline tickets to London and front row seats at the Bloomsbury show of the BBD and Beyond tour. Actually hung out afterward to meet Bill & chat for 10 minutes or so!!!

You see, kids, there ARE happy endings, and not just in Hollywood!!

Now THAT'S a nice story!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:33 am 
New in Town

KEEF1959 wrote:
I've still not found any of the dates Be Bop played with Heart, Sam Hagar and Pat Travers, but I know they're out there somewhere.

Hi everyone -- my first post here. I registered just so I could say:

I was backstage for a show featuring Heart and Be Bop Deluxe sometime between 1973 and 1976 (probably 1974) in Chicago. I was in college at the time, so it was most likely between September and June. I always keep my ticket stubs, but I was invited on a business visit and got to watch both bands from the side. I particularly remember Be Bop -- working very hard and shorter than I expected. Not the same as being in the audience at all. I'll eventually find the date and venue and post back.

Looking forward to reading other threads here!

Fred

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:21 am 
Regular

Location: Dreamsville Bureau of Realistic Attributions and Technosurvivalism
fldveloce wrote:
KEEF1959 wrote:
I've still not found any of the dates Be Bop played with Heart, Sam Hagar and Pat Travers, but I know they're out there somewhere.

I was backstage for a show featuring Heart and Be Bop Deluxe sometime between 1973 and 1976 (probably 1974) in Chicago. I was in college at the time, so it was most likely between September and June. I always keep my ticket stubs, but I was invited on a business visit and got to watch both bands from the side. I particularly remember Be Bop -- working very hard and shorter than I expected. Not the same as being in the audience at all. I'll eventually find the date and venue and post back.

Fred

Howdy! Welcome to the 'ville! :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:28 pm 
Regular

fldveloce wrote:
KEEF1959 wrote:

Fred

Fred
I'm quite sure that Be Bop's first US tour didn't take place until 1976, I imagine it was during the UK summer so your recollection of June could be correct.

Bev

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:20 pm 
Regular

Hi Fred

BBD did not tour the USA until 1976. I've got them down as playing the Riviera Theatre in Chicago on the 21st April 1976 supporting Thin Lizzy. I have a review of that show, so it definitely happened.

However, I have a date of a tentative date 03 Dec 1976 for BBD to play in Chicago, Illinois. I have no info on venue or who was on the bill. I guess this could be the show with Heart? I'd be interested if you can find your txt stub!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:38 pm 
Regular

Hi Guys

As you know I'm trying to unearth BBD tour dates. I've come across something that is puzzling me a little. According to the "BBD at the BBC" set, the bands performance on the OGWT was broadcast on the 16th November 1976. What I want to know is when it recorded? Now BBD were in the USA in October, November and December 1976. According to the "Music In Dreamland" book, there was a two week break at the end of October during which Andy Clarke & Bill returned to the UK, while Simon Fox & Charlie stayed in the US. The band returned to live work on 10 Nov 1976 at the Civic Auditorium in Albuquerque.

So my question is when did they record the OGWT show? I have no record of any US dates on 15th and 16th November. Surely the didn't fly back to record the OGWT show!

Any memories of this Bill?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next