www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: BE BOP DELUXE TOUR DATES
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:57 pm 
Regular

Perhaps an aid for Keef for at least one Be Bop Deluxe concert that may be missing from the list?

It was in my old home town of Keighley at its Victoria Hall, probably early in 1973 as part of a three band bill. I only read it from a library archive of the local newspaper but I believe it was during 1973. I couldn't photocopy the advert as you could only request it from the British library for £5 a copy.

Quote:
we all took a gamble and packed in our day jobs for a life on the road. Perhaps only young men would be so bold!

It was interesting reading Bill's recollection of early touring as it reminds me of my band days going up and down the country in a Transit van (e.g. also experiencing stomach problems being sick on the hard shoulder of the M1 - it was that pie :) ) I wouldn't have the same enthusiasm for doing this now.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:45 pm 
Regular

Thanks Yorkshiretb.

I don't have any record of a gig at Victoria Hall, Keighley in 1973. What was the local newspaper called? I am in London and I regularly visit the British Museum Library, so I'll have a look at any Keighley local newspapers for '73.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:37 pm 
Regular

Hi Keef1959 It is the Keighley News published once weekly.

It had a variant (which is the one I saw it in) called the Bingley Guardian, basically the same content but with more local news concerning Bingley a smaller town near Keighley.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:09 pm 
Regular

Glasgow University 8th November 1975. My mate was Ents Convener of Glasgow Uni and I pestered the hell out off him to book Be Bop Deluxe. Band were paid £220. I still have my ticket stub autographed by all of the band and yes, it was a stellar gig.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:06 pm 
Regular

Thanks Howden End. I did have that one on my list. Would love to have a copy of your ticket stub!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:00 pm 
Regular

KEEF1959 wrote:
Thanks Howden End. I did have that one on my list. Would love to have a copy of your ticket stub!

Have sent you a pm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:01 pm 

Howden End wrote:
Glasgow University 8th November 1975. My mate was Ents Convener of Glasgow Uni and I pestered the hell out off him to book Be Bop Deluxe. Band were paid £220. I still have my ticket stub autographed by all of the band and yes, it was a stellar gig.

Dave, I know it was a long time ago, but can you remember how the gig was arranged/advertised, as I was desperate to see the band playing in Scotland.

Even though I was only 16 at the time, was going to 2/3 gigs a week back then, and this one slipped under the radar.

Only got to see them for the first time at Strathclyde University in January 1976

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:37 pm 
Regular

Geetar Homer wrote:
Keef do you have any dates for Unity Hall Wakefield around the end of '74 or early '75.? This was my first ever gig and i have been unable to pin down an exact date. This would be for the second line up with Charlie and Simon (not sure about Andy Clark ). I do remember Bill wearing a Panama hat. 8)
Cheers

Geetar I was at 2 Unity Hall concerts and wonder if these memories ring any bells for you?
The first one had Gygafo as support band and Bill wore a white/cream jacket over a red shirt.
Second was support by a band called Zirkdextron ? or Dirkzextron cant remember exactly but I remember Charlie was wearing a orange boiler suit and bowler hat.
I think they were still a 3 piece at both gigs.
I know Futurama had just come out so does that pin it down a bit?
Just found some old NME cuttings with Tour dates which may help.
NME dated March 22 1975
Thursday Aberystwyth University
Friday Swansea Patti Pavilion
Saturday Peterborough Technical College

NME date unknown
Thursday Bradford St Georges Hall
Saturday Manchester Free Trade Hall
Sunday Swindon Leisure Centre
Monday Swansea Brangwyn Hall
Tuesday Hull City Hall

Friday Feb 13th Cambridge Corn Exchange [year unknown]
Saturday Feb 21st Southend Kursaal [year unknown]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:38 pm 
Regular

Hi Painterman,
My recollections are rather hazy after 30 years but i do remember that Bill was wearing the Panama hat as described earlier, a white shirt and turquoise flairs. Not sure if it was three or four piece i do seem to remember somebody on the far right of the stage (nearly in the wings) lurking behind some equipment but not sure if it was Andy Clark or a soundman. Don't recall a support band at all. I remember that there were tables and chairs at the sides of the hall which i and my schoolmates sat at but as the crowd started to build up we slid on these chairs to form a line right in front of the stage. :lol: . Not certain about the June date, my recollection is that it was quite cold and getting dark by the time we got in but i may be mistaken about this. The only other thing i remember is people shouting for 'No Trains to Heaven' and 'Wally' :lol: . I had pencilled in a date of 7th November 1975 which i think i got from a bootleg listed somewhere on the web. Futurama came out in
May '75 and Andy Clark appeared on a Radio session on 17th of March '75 according to the 'Music in Dreamland' book.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:39 pm 
Regular

Geetar Homer wrote:
My recollections are rather hazy after 30 years

Actually make that 40 :shock: :oops: :mrgreen:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next