www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bandcamp Download Format
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:20 am 
Regular

JohnR, I believe that the recent Altar Pieces release was re-mastered by John Spence, others I think not as they are more recent digital recordings, so don't merit a makeover,

As far as I am aware the FLAC format allows you to listen to 24/96 playback on your home PC, subject to you having a soundcard that can allow this,

Other folks on here will know more.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:12 am 
Regular

James Ellis wrote:
JohnR, I believe that the recent Altar Pieces release was re-mastered by John Spence, others I think not as they are more recent digital recordings, so don't merit a makeover,

As far as I am aware the FLAC format allows you to listen to 24/96 playback on your home PC, subject to you having a soundcard that can allow this,

Other folks on here will know more.

Thanks James - flac will support 24bit but it still needs to have 24 bit audio to encode in the first place. It will faithfully encode tracks from a 16 bit 44.1kz CD so that you can create a perfect CD copy from Bandcamp downloads but without 24 bit audio to encode, that is as good as it gets. Plus if an album was recorded and mixed in 16 bit audio in the first place, there's no real point in encoding it in 24 bit format.

Remastering - there's usually a fair bit of difference for recordings in analog format as modern day audio chipsets improve the analog to digital conversion process quality. However, even with a fully digital recording chain , there can be format changes in it that can be improved on with newer gear, or even removed from the chain altogether. My ears are not too convinced about the latter!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:35 pm 
Regular

I never cared about lossless until I heard the difference. MP3 Cd-R's sound kinda muddy in my car. Now that i-tunes lets you rip directly to ALAC, that is what I tend to do and the ALAC CD's sound SO MUCH BETTER. All the fullness and nuance is back and it just makes a huge difference, which is especially important with Bill's albums. I like to carry CD-R's in my car so that nothing happens to my actual albums, and the i-Pod rig is there but it just doesn't sound as good as CD's.

I think I read somewhere that FLAC is a hair better than ALAC but I can't tell the difference, and with ALAC, you can work entirely in i-tunes and don't have to download a bunch of wonky, malware-ridden shareware.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:32 pm 
New in Town

Having discovered music as a teen in the mid 90's compression has always been a part of my listening process. It doesn't seem to bother me as much as others. That being said I'm in the rare minority that enjoys the 2007/2008 Genesis remix/remasters. They may look like garbage as sound wave files but they sound fine to me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:40 am 
Regular

ebagjones, the Genesis remixed/remasters are grand. [I will assume you are referring to the standard book-style covered releases (one CD, one DVD) - as opposed to the many 'Lamb' tracks that were called remasters, but actually contained many re-recorded performances.] But the standard 2007/08 remasters are entirely unique in that each individual track was digitised separately, as opposed to the usual digitising of the two track, final mix master. Plus with the filmed interviews and additional tracks, what's not to like? :shock: :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:30 pm 
Regular

I just noticed a CD called Plaything for sale as a download in the store.

Isn't that a super rare one that everyone loves? I guess I missed the announcement for it here.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:49 pm 
Regular

MondoJohnny wrote:

Isn't that a super rare one that everyone loves? I guess I missed the announcement for it here.

Defo everyone loves who has.

A must-get :!: 8)

I'll want your opinion on the track 'Lost Planet Sunset' and ... well, all of it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:33 pm 
Regular

alec wrote:
MondoJohnny wrote:

Defo everyone loves who has.

A must-get :!: 8)

I'll want your opinion on the track 'Lost Planet Sunset' and ... well, all of it.

I'll give you my opinion. 'Lost Planet Sunset' is one of my all time faves. Definitely the highlight of the album for me 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:08 pm 
Regular

MondoJohnny wrote:

"Come to me in my dreams & then by day I shall be well again."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:44 am 
Regular

I recently purchased "The Sparkle Machine" via Bandcamp and I have to say, I think it's a wonderful choice. I loved the quality of the files I was able to download, and I really appreciated getting the album art!

For me, Bill Nelson albums have always been a treat for the eyes as well as the ears. It's very nice to get to enjoy the artwork, because most DL sites (Amazon, iTunes) only give the front cover.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next