Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Help with Bills back catalogue
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:39 am 
Regular

Thats what I was going to say. You should start off with

- Fancy Planets
- Practically Wired (Or how I became guitar boy)
- Fantasmatron

Those will no doubt connect your BBD memories with the Bill Nelson of today.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:03 am 
Regular

I concur with all above but have to emphasize:

Fancy Planets
Joy Through Amplification
Fantasmatron
Dreamshire Chronicles
Golden Melodies Of Tomorrow
The Alchemical Adventures Of Sailor Bill
Fables And Dreamsongs
Captain Future's Pyscotronic Circus
Clocks And Dials
Return To Jazz Of Lights
The Last Of The Neon Cynics

.......Any and all of these should suit your tastes, Antman :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:56 am 
The Citizen

And 'Here Comes Mr Mercury', 'Songs Of The Blossom Tree Optimists' and 'New Northern Dream.' :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:09 pm 
New in Town

Hi looks like Im going to busy what a catalogue of work to go through I got a copy of New Northern Dream (which I loved and made me get back to check out Bills back catalogue I was amazed of his output ) which made me go check out Northern Dream (1971)

thanks for the help all i can say is a big thankyou to you all
antman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:49 pm 
Regular

I would definitely add Satellite Songs to the list. Very BBD-like.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:17 pm 
Regular

Antman,

Welcome to Dreamsville.

You are getting a lot of good recommendations. Many of my own favorites are among them. I am going to be a spoiler then. Be careful. Some of the albums will not be what you expect. Sailor Bill, Model Village, Blossom Tree, Dreamshire, Golden Melodies are fine albums but they are not to everyone's taste. They are definitely not to mine. Of course, they may well be to yours. There is a lot of variety in style in the 100+ solo albums. I suggest you start out with some of the more accessible albums and then see where that takes you.

As John Fisher pointed out, a lot of time was spent on the Northern Dreamer Guide. It is a very good place to start. Another way to get started is to buy the Dreamer's Companion releases from Bandcamp. These were personally curated by Bill to give an introduction to his music. Using them as a reference, you may be able to zero in on which albums suit your taste best.

If your reference/starting point is BBD then I can join the others in recommending Blue Moons and Laughing Guitars, Joy Through Amplification, Captain Future, Fancy Planets. After the Satellite Signs (I prefer it to Atom Shop), Orpheus in Ultraland, Arcadian Salon, Signals From Realms of Light, The Palace of Strange Voltages. I also highly recommend these instrumental albums - Gleaming without Lights, And We fell in to a Dream, Illuminated at Dusk, Fantastic Guitars, Silvertone Fountains. Unfortunately, many of these seem to be oop and not yet on Bandcamp. Oh well, that still leaves you plent y of amazing music to discover. Enjoy the journey.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:14 pm 
Regular

Merikan1 wrote:
If your reference/starting point is BBD then I can join the others in recommending Blue Moons and Laughing Guitars, Joy Through Amplification, Captain Future, Fancy Planets. After the Satellite Sings (I prefer it to Atom Shop), Orpheus in Ultraland, Arcadian Salon, Signals From Realms of Light, The Palace of Strange Voltages. I also highly recommend these instrumental albums - Gleaming Without Lights, And We Fell Into a Dream, Illuminated at Dusk, Fantastic Guitars, Silvertone Fountains. Unfortunately, many of these seem to be oop and not yet on Bandcamp. Oh well, that still leaves you plenty of amazing music to discover. Enjoy the journey.

The Dreamsville team is working on getting all the oop titles reissued. Slowly but surely. (Except Blue Moons, which is Virgin records.) Great selection of guitar-oriented albums, Bruce. As Pathdude says, add Satellite Songs as well.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:21 pm 
The Citizen

Merikan1 wrote:
Be careful. Some of the albums will not be what you expect. Sailor Bill, Model Village, Blossom Tree, Dreamshire, Golden Melodies are fine albums but they are not to everyone's taste. They are definitely not to mine.

Take no notice of Merikan! :lol: 'Blossom Tree Optimists',and 'Sailor Bill' are the nearest albums to the old singer-songwriter style of Be Bop Deluxe, and two of the finest albums I've ever done. If you loved 'Heavenly Homes' and those expansive wide-screen ballad style songs of Be Bop Deluxe, you'll love 'The Alchemical Adventures Of Saior Bill.' (Unless you're an unrependant '70s hard rock kind of guy.) :wink: 'Golden Melodies Of Tomorrow' is another of my very best and proudest albums, an absolute personal favourite of mine. Whilst it may nor quite fit the 'Be Bop nostalgia' test, it nevertheless hits new heights in my back catalogue. A personal gem that I will stand by long after Be Bop Deluxe is forgotten. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:02 am 
Regular

Yes and we all flippin' forgot about the amazing and essential Modern Moods For Mighty Atoms, a CD that is still available for a crazy low price at the SOS Store with such soul-restoring yet mind-blowing tracks, like Speedboats From Another World, The Dream Of The Unified Field, Real Worlds And Dream Worlds, Another Slice Of Wonder Cake .

Speedboats ... Even thinking about it brings forth a bit of the goose-pimple zap up the outside of my arms whilst I type this . Maybe I'd better listen to it . Okay, listening to it now, I forgot how luxurious it is . :shock: 8)

Unified Field ... Hello, Zen-trance Pop .

Another Slice ... Yeh, that is one of my favourite tracks by anyone .

Real Worlds ... Often am imagining Charlie Tumahai singing harmonies on that one .

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:23 pm 
Regular

Bill Nelson wrote:
Merikan1 wrote:
Be careful. Some of the albums will not be what you expect. Sailor Bill, Model Village, Blossom Tree, Dreamshire, Golden Melodies are fine albums but they are not to everyone's taste. They are definitely not to mine.

Take no notice of Merikan! :lol: 'Blossom Tree Optimists',and 'Sailor Bill' are the nearest albums to the old singer-songwriter style of Be Bop Deluxe, and two of the finest albums I've ever done. If you loved 'Heavenly Homes' and those expansive wide-screen ballad style songs of Be Bop Deluxe, you'll love 'The Alchemical Adventures Of Saior Bill.' (Unless you're an unrependant '70s hard rock kind of guy.) :wink: 'Golden Melodies Of Tomorrow' is another of my very best and proudest albums, an absolute personal favourite of mine. Whilst it may nor quite fit the 'Be Bop nostalgia' test, it nevertheless hits new heights in my back catalogue. A personal gem that I will stand by long after Be Bop Deluxe is forgotten. :wink:

Bill, to be fair, I did qualify my statement with 'they are fine albums'. :D I am just not sure that they are the first stops someone should make in getting reacquainted with your music. As for 'unrepentant' ... you bet! :twisted: