www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Help with Bills back catalogue
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:29 pm 
Regular

alec wrote:
Yes and we all flippin' forgot about the amazing and essential Modern Moods For Mighty Atoms, a CD that is still available for a crazy low price at the SOS Store with such soul-restoring yet mind-blowing tracks, like Speedboats From Another World, The Dream Of The Unified Field, Real Worlds And Dream Worlds, Another Slice Of Wonder Cake . [

I almost added that to my list too. I had to show some restraint! :D

(I probably should have exercised some regarding Sailor Bill et al :lol: )

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:13 pm 
Regular

Joy Through Amplification sounds very BBD influenced in my view. I can imagine Andy, Charlie and Simon tackling the album. In fact if I close my eyes I can imagine they performing it with BN.

I'm pleased that BN is 'proud' of Golden Melodies of Tomorrow. It is a personal favourite of mine I enjoy listening to since it was released all those years ago. It is, in my view, a very accessible recording and it's cheap from SOS. Enjoy it.

Christian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:02 pm 
Regular

The Sound wrote:
Joy Through Amplification sounds very BBD influenced in my view. I can imagine Andy, Charlie and Simon tackling the album. In fact if I close my eyes I can imagine they performing it with BN.

Yes, very "band" that album but then we think of how Bill showed the band the parts, whether the band is Be-Bop Deluxe or Red Noise, so the band was very much Bill Nelson solo, in a way, too .

Kid Flip And The Golden Spacemen of course has a band in the title and brings about the questions of "What would a band sound like performing this?" Then an answer like, "Oh, Bill's the band, the band is Bill."

The Sound wrote:
I'm pleased that BN is 'proud' of Golden Melodies of Tomorrow. It is a personal favourite of mine I enjoy listening to since it was released all those years ago. It is, in my view, a very accessible recording and it's cheap from SOS. Enjoy it.

Christian

Agreed .

Going to have to listen to that one today .

It's one of those where one of the tracks brought me to the others . In this case Once I Had A Time Machine was the doorway to the other tracks .

Then that song has this tangent, an equally enjoyable tangent, mind, but a very different mood . It's a mood of cool Jazz, scenery gliding past .

The two-songs-in-one thing I like .

Stereolab did that so very, very well as well, did they not ? Yes, they did .

Another one of Bill's that does that two-songs-in-one is Phantom Sedan (Theme From Tail-Fin City) from After The Satellite Sings, an all-time favourite .

The listener is brought from a wistful dreaming sort of mood to a celebratory get-up-and-dance, a mood that is similar, stylistically, to African Highlife and with only a ringing guitar note as a clear glass hallway between the two rooms .

Does this mean that the wistful and dreamy part was also celebratory and the celebratory "Highlife" part is also wistful and dreamy ?

I'll admit there have been times when I only wanted to hear the first part and there have been times where I've only wanted to hear the second part with both Once I Had A Time Machine and Phantom Sedan and listened accordingly but usually I just enjoy the ride, as is .

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:33 am 
Regular

Ok, let's get a firm grasp of the past, before we bring the lad up to the present and the future.

Be-Bop Deluxe - Futurist Manifesto 1974-1978 I think that this is everything remastered, b-sides, demos, bonus tracks and a remix.

But wait, there's more!

Be-Bop Deluxe - Postcards from the Future... introducing Be Bop Deluxe If only for the inclusion of the Smile single Teenage Archangel / Jets at Dawn

Be-Bop Deluxe - At the BBC 1974-1978

And of course, before Be-Bop, there was Bill the songwriter.

Bill Nelson - Electrotype The Holyground Recordings 1968-1972

I can wholeheartedly recommend the Mercury reissues of:

Quit Dreaming And Get On The Beam

Love That Whirls (Diary of a Thinking Heart)

Chimera

and an Esoteric Recordings reissue:

Getting The Holy Ghost Across

:D 8) :arrow:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:53 am 
Regular

Hi thanks again for all your recommendations think I'll start in a chronological order :?: ( or does it really matter) apart from
'New Northern Dream' ( which I think the vocals are Absolutely Spot On :D I just love the whole album especially Consolation Street)

Being born and bred in Bradford west yorks not far from Wakefield) I just get the a whole concept of the album Its just Brilliant :D )
Any way thanks again all for taking time to help me out

Antman 8)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:28 am 
The Citizen

antman wrote:
'New Northern Dream' ( which I think the vocals are Absolutely Spot On I just love the whole album especially Consolation Street)

Being born and bred in Bradford west yorks not far from Wakefield) I just get the a whole concept of the album Its just Brilliant )

Glad you like 'New Northern Dream', antman! That one was a kind of 'bookend' to my very first solo album 'Northern Dream' from 1971. I took the Northern concept in a more literal fashion than the original.

If you live in Bradford and are of a certain generation you probably had holidays on the East Coast of Yorkshire as a child, or over in Blackpool, in which case you'll probably feel at home with 'The Alchemical Adventures Of Sailor Bill' album. The entire album reflects my love of the coast and my childhood and teenage memories of spending time in places like Bridlington, Scarorough, Skipsea, Withernsea and Blackpool. It's a wide-screen musical painting of the '50s and '60s seaside with it's endless summer days, blue seas, piers, promenades and funfairs. And if you liked the vocals on NND you'll love them on 'Sailor Bill', I count them as amongst the best I've recorded. :wink: The album is available as a digital download, complete with artwork, from my Bandcamp page.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:29 pm 
Regular

Antman - Now is your chance to see Bill live. If you haven't done so yet, by all means, buy a ticket to Plectronica. Chances to see Bill play live, solo and with Orchestra Futura, are as rare as hens teeth. Don't miss out!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:34 pm 
Regular

Merikan1 wrote:
As John Fisher pointed out, a lot of time was spent on the Northern Dreamer Guide. It is a very good place to start. Another way to get started is to buy the Dreamer's Companion releases from Bandcamp. These were personally curated by Bill to give an introduction to his music. Using them as a reference, you may be able to zero in on which albums suit your taste best.

Exactly what I was going to say. Sort of a Reader's Digest Condensed version of Bill Nelson's 21st Century output.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:00 am 
Regular

wadcorp wrote:
Merikan1 wrote:
As John Fisher pointed out, a lot of time was spent on the Northern Dreamer Guide. It is a very good place to start. Another way to get started is to buy the Dreamer's Companion releases from Bandcamp. These were personally curated by Bill to give an introduction to his music. Using them as a reference, you may be able to zero in on which albums suit your taste best.

Exactly what I was going to say. Sort of a Reader's Digest Condensed version of Bill Nelson's 21st Century output.

Great minds...hair or not :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:19 pm 
Regular

Ok dont laugh but I have just heard Banal for the first time
though it is of its time I lived it now listening to the whole album

cheers

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next