www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 'PLECTRONICA: A POSSIBLE SOLUTION?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:13 pm 
The Citizen

I've been giving some thought to how to take the edge off the disappointment of those fans who were too late to buy tickets to the 'Plectronica' event in December.

We're now going to look into the possibility of providing a live, 'pay-per-view' stream of the event' as it actually happens, in real time.

The last two Clothworker's Hall events could also have had a live stream but I've always rejected the idea because there's no way to guarantee the quality of the performance or sound. I preferred to look at it afterwards and then make a decision about whether to put it out as a separate video;DVD.

The effect of sitting in the venue with other fans and hearing the sound in the room (and being excited and in the moment,) is quite different from viewing it on a computer screen. Streaming it does, unfortunately, allow it to be seen several times and therefore scrutinised in a different way to the one-off experience of actually being there in the flesh. And that scrutiny can show up any flaws in a negative way that might be glossed over 'in person' as it were.

Actually, the concert that produced the 'Tripping The Light Fantastic' album was video recorded and passed my quality control criteria pretty well. The only reason it hasn't yet made it to DVD is because there hasn't been time to edit it and put the whole thing together, but we're still hoping to do it at some point in the future. On the other hand, I wasn't as happy with last year's performance so have not slated that one for a release, (though there are a handful of tracks that didn't worry me too much.)

But, having said all that, I think I'm prepared to take the risk of streaming this year's performance live, warts and all, to offer some kind of solution to fans who were too late to grab a ticket. I may be doing myself no favours here because if I screw up for any reason, it will be impossible to patch things up later, but, I think this may be the only way to offer an alternative to those fans who missed the boat.

No guarantees at this stage. We have to look at the technical and other aspects of trying to do this but if it can be worked out, I'll give it my blessing. :wink:

Post subject: Re: 'PLECTRONICA: A POSSIBLE SOLUTION?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:21 pm 
Regular

Interesting idea and hope you can get it to work. Over here it will be 9pm to 0330am. Can connect the laptop to the TV and have a front row seat 8)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:54 pm 
Regular

Well count me in!
Understand you want the performance to be perfect but you must know that we don't expect perfection. If there's a few mistakes I can't imagine any of us fans giving a monkey's. But we also have an inkling about what you're like when it comes to protecting your art.
Hope it comes off. I was poised to buy a ticket but was one of the Johnny come too latelies. Really appreciate you taking the trouble to even consider us.
Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:05 pm 
Regular

Bill Nelson wrote:
I've been giving some thought to how to take the edge off the disappointment of those fans who were too late to buy tickets to the 'Plectronica' event in December.

We're now going to look into the possibility of providing a live, 'pay-per-view' stream of the event' as it actually happens, in real time. ...

... But, having said all that, I think I'm prepared to take the risk of streaming this year's performance live, warts and all, to offer some kind of solution to fans who were too late to grab a ticket.

We have to look at the technical and other aspects of trying to do this but if it can be worked out, I'll give it my blessing. :wink:

A very kind, thoughtful, and caring response by the artist that cares about his fans as much as he cares about his work.

Thanks Bill. See you in Dec. 8) 8) :)

'Pod

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:27 pm 
Regular

Bill Nelson wrote:
We're now going to look into the possibility of providing a live, 'pay-per-view' stream of the event' as it actually happens, in real time.
Great idea! I guess the key equation is cost of doing this - ((number of viewers) * (price of admission)) .

The "number of viewers" must be impossible to guess. Is there a way of getting people to pay beforehand? If not enough people sign up, then it doesn't go ahead, and everyone is refunded.

Am I describing crowdfunding here?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:55 pm 
Regular

Well I would be up for this 'warts and all'.

I've not been to a gig of yours (which is quite a few over the last 40 years) that I haven't come away from totally satisfied and was definitely planning to make this one. If only I'd been quicker off the mark.

It's a wonderful offer, if it comes off, for all those unable to get there in person and I would definitely be prepared to fork out in advance if it gives you a better handle on the affordability.

The alternative is that someone leaves all the hall's doors and windows open and we all stand in the gardens outside. :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:24 pm 
Regular

I'd love to view this performance or better still if it were to make it on DVD that would be great. I'd certainly be first in line to purchase it. Here's hoping I get to see you Mr Nelson.

Christian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:06 am 
Regular

I would love a chance to see this in a pay per view format!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:29 pm 
Regular

I'm with 'The Sound' on this one. A DVD release would be ideal for me for a couple of reasons. Firstly I'm a technical numpty and have never 'streamed' anything, so I'd probably get it wrong and end up missing it. Secondly I'll be working during the event and so couldn't see it in real time and finally I would love to have something physical to keep and watch at my leasure in HD with Hi Fi sound. Also, as others have commented, I really don't care if it isn't 'perfect', in fact I prefer things a little more raw, I think it adds authenticity. I've seen Bill play live on numerous occasions and whilst the level of his performances may not always meet his own incredibly high standards, it's never been a problem for me...Go on Bill...treat us.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:12 am 
Regular

Let it stream, stream stream. From when the doors open til the lights go out !!!! What intriguing fun that would be !!! Great idea, it would be a blast !!!!