Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: We of West Riding (1945)
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:27 pm 
Regular

A few years before Bill arrived on the scene but, nonetheless, a must-watch :

https://youtu.be/WohhLX_YLlE

Post subject: Re: We of West Riding (1945)
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:28 pm 
Regular

It may have been a few (three!) years before Bill arrived on the scene, but I'll bet he says that it looked just like that when he were a lad :)

Reason I say that is because WW2 cost the UK so much, in terms of money, that the country was poor for a long time afterwards. We talk about the last eight years of "austerity" in the UK, but they were nothing like the first ten years after the war. Rationing of things like petrol and food went on for a long time after the war. Meat rationing finally ended some time between my parents being married in 1953 and me coming along three years later.

It took so many years for the UK to recover. That's why the likes of, first, Elvis Presley and, later, the Beatles were so important. They were like bursts of Technicolor coming into a world that had only shades of grey, and they were promises of a better future.

When I first moved to London in the late 70s, the centre and West End of the city still had a number of "temporary" car parks on waste ground at various places. Very handy they were too. It took a while for the penny to drop - for me to realise that these were bomb sites which had still not been redeveloped, over 30 years after the end of the war.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:16 pm 
Regular

Perfect Monster wrote:
It may have been a few (three!) years before Bill arrived on the scene, but I'll bet he says that it looked just like that when he were a lad :)

Reason I say that is because WW2 cost the UK so much, in terms of money, that the country was poor for a long time afterwards. We talk about the last eight years of "austerity" in the UK, but they were nothing like the first ten years after the war. Rationing of things like petrol and food went on for a long time after the war. Meat rationing finally ended some time between my parents being married in 1953 and me coming along three years later.

It took so many years for the UK to recover. That's why the likes of, first, Elvis Presley and, later, the Beatles were so important. They were like bursts of Technicolor coming into a world that had only shades of grey, and they were promises of a better future.

When I first moved to London in the late 70s, the centre and West End of the city still had a number of "temporary" car parks on waste ground at various places. Very handy they were too. It took a while for the penny to drop - for me to realise that these were bomb sites which had still not been redeveloped, over 30 years after the end of the war.

Through my teenage years...from 1970 onwards...I lived in Hessle which was a big village on the outskirts of Hull. In 1972 I started work as an apprentice motor mechanic at a a garage in Hull town centre. At that time every large free car park was a bomb site and they remained so for many years. Indeed I suspect that it's only in the last 25 years that these sites have been upgraded. Hull took a massive pounding during the war. Most heavily bombed city...least reported on..

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:16 pm 
The Citizen

First of all, I want to thank alec for posting the link to that historic and marvellous film, which I hadn't seen previously, despite having a fine collection of nostalgic Yorkshire films.

The period depicted was shortly before I was born but very little had changed during the years of World War 2 and I grew up in the era of British post-war austerity with its ration books and various deprivations. None of that seemed out of the ordinary of course...when you're born into such an environment, you take it as the 'norm' and rarely question whether any of it might be better.

Yes, my beginnings were in one of those old terrace houses, built by mill owner Thomas Marriott to house some of his workers at Westgate End in Wakefield. But their origin went even further back than the scenes depicted in the film, and the facilities they offered were extremely rudimentary: no hot water, no central heating, initially no electricity, certainly no bathroom and only an unhygenic outside toilet in a brick outhouse in the yard. And this was still the case during my infancy and into the '50s..

They were Victorian, working class dwellings, rough accommodations, unchanged from the previous century and out of reach of post-war improvements due to the austerity that Britain endured back then. But, despite that, it was a warm, uncomplaining environment that my parents, grandmother and I inhabited prior to the eventual improvements and rehousing in the 1950s due to the council house explosion.

Although I was born in the old West Riding depicted in the film, I now live in what was once the 'North Riding',and which was considered slightly more affluent at one time. Perhaps it still is...

Nevertheless, my roots remain in that post-war Yorkshire when my grandmother worked in one of those textile mills and my family's quiet, warm hearths burned bright in blackened stoves in a dingy kitchen devoid of the modern conveniences we take so much for granted today. No matter how far I travel into the future, those simple, rude beginnings anchor me to something indefinable but real...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:15 pm 
Regular

I too was born in the trenches of Belle Isle in the West riding of Yorkshire where I grew up in a council house ...it was an idyllic childhood ,I didn't know we were dirt poor and it didn't matter.... as I grew up my desire to move was innate,I just did not fit in and still don't wherever I have traveled . But I am brought back to Yorkshire very strongly when I reflect on my Grandparents who lived in the Belle Isle district the whole of their lives ....My Grandad Fred was in the first world war and fought in France in the trenches (of which he would never speak) . Its lovely that Bill has such strong roots and affinity with Yorkshire .....but ...thankfully I can find myself wherever I am eventually....I remember walking through the back streets of outwood on one of my 5 trips to England in the last 32 years and stopping outside a house somewhere between Church lane and Canal rd and was caught by a conversation that I thought was a foreign language ....it was pure guttural Yorkshire of which I didn't understand a word :) I have no longing for my roots either Yorkshire or English ... is this good ? or bad ? ..neither I suspect .... but its a lovely film of that period .
steve

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:41 pm 
Regular

steve lyles wrote:
I too was born in the trenches of Belle Isle in the West riding of Yorkshire
steve

Trenches ? You were lucky. We used to dream of living in a trench. :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:18 pm 
Regular

Geetar Homer wrote:
steve lyles wrote:
I too was born in the trenches of Belle Isle in the West riding of Yorkshire
steve

Aye lad....http://www.montypython.net/scripts/4york.php

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:23 pm 
Regular

transistor radio wrote:
Nay lad....At Last The 1948 Show - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nL6isGPhzk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:26 pm 
Regular

Geetar Homer wrote:

haha...you read my mind!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:32 pm 
Regular

Perfect Monster wrote:
transistor radio wrote:
Nay lad....At Last The 1948 Show - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nL6isGPhzk

What a classic sketch! From 1967 I believe Thanks PM :D

Last edited by transistor radio on Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.