www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Postman Pat Has Delivered My Sunburst Finish Deluxe Edit
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:40 pm 
Regular

My copy of Sunburst Finish SDE arrived last week sometime. I've only played disc 2 so far - which was for me the main draw in buying it, along with the book.

Remixes of classic albums rarely add much in my experience but that hasn't stopped me buying around 20 very familiar albums which have been remixed to one degree or another.

In the case of Sunburst Finish I like some of the noticeable changes and in some cases I thought they were more of a distraction. My main issue was the sense that some of the segues or cross fades didn't quite have the same impact as they do on the original mix and I'll probably revert back to that for future listens.

But fair play to Cherry Red for giving the album a spring clean and enhancing it with all the bells and whistles.

I certainly hope that the Red Noise stuff and the other Be Bop albums get something akin to this treatment and that more bonus tracks are uncovered that the fans haven't previously heard.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:09 pm 
Regular

AAARRGGGHHH going to have to wait until Christmas as its getting wrapped up for Christmas day. Really Looking forward to the 24 Bit Original version compared to the New. I always felt the Original felt a bit subdued. I put it down to the limitations of Vinyl replay at the time. Wish more artists would release on 24 bit 96 or 192khz and avoid compressing the music.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:51 pm 
Regular

Still waiting. Tick, tock...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:14 pm 
Regular

Merikan1 wrote:
Tiffanys Hull 1974 wrote:
Postman Pat delivered my deluxe edition of Sunburst Finish on Saturday 24-Nov-2018. I FLAC ripped the CDs and converted the DVD Audio to FLAC the next day. Played Disc 2 of the 4 yesterday afternoon. It was the first time I’ve listened to all the tracks off Sunburst Finish in order for ages. The sound was amazing. The Re-master has worked. I was hearing things I’d never noticed, (or couldn’t hear) compared to the original CD/Album.
I hope the same treatment is given to the remaining Be Bop albums. If it is I can’t wait to hear Futurama and Drastic Plastic in the same way. For me these are the best two Be Bop Albums!

Still waiting here in NL. I expect that I will receive sometime in early December. Did they notify you that it was on the way?

My copy of the deluxe version arrived on Saturday while we were in the UK at Plectronica. It is a great package. Looking forward to spending some time listening to the remix.

I second Tiffanys Hull 1974. Hopefully, they will do something similar for the other BBD cds.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:18 am 
New in Town

Well, it's here. And here's my review In a plexiglass nutshell. The packaging is extravigant and it seems that the original artwork was found and used with no falloff in quality. There are a bunch of extras (photos and reproductions of promotional materials), some of which are likely to get lost if the package spends too much time away from a secure nook.

Bill's essay is the only real accounting of the production's story, although Cherry Red's Mark Powell adds a few historical notes. There are some fascinating details here. I wish there were more.

I've worked on a few 16-track productions and I'd say the 2018 remix sound quality is a dramatic improvement over the original if you like to hear instruments and voice sounding close to multitrack playback. The effect is pleasantly startling at times. The drums sound big and lifelike, acoustic guitars have great presence and voices are warm and clear (the colorful booklet includes all the lyrics, but you don't really need to read them). Sometimes the lead guitar loses a bit of its power compared to the John Leckie original, which kept other instruments a bit lower in level. Steven Tayler seems to have mixed the songs to his liking, without feeling obligated to stick too close to the original. It's a bold mix artistically, but it's certainly not overdone. I like the DTS surround version OK, it keeps most of the action up front with the rear speakers used sparingly. The stereo is the real attraction here, so those who purchase the 2-disc set will have plenty to enjoy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:40 pm 
Regular

I’ve just noticed Bill’s response to my posting saying that ‘I was hearing things I’d never noticed, (or couldn’t hear) compared to the original’.
I did a test! I played the FLAC rip of Crystal Gazing off the first CD version then quickly listened to the FLAC rips of the New Stereo Mix and 5.1 Surround Sound Mix. The original sounds muffled if that is the correct description. If I ramp the volume up and annoy the neighbours I get a bit more clarity, (but also distortion at times). To then listen to the New Stereo Mix I can hear ‘more’ as the sound is clearer and doesn’t need so much volume. It is as if the New Stereo Mix has had the volume turned up. I cannot discern any difference between the New Stereo Mix and the 5.1 Surround Mix though. Maybe I haven’t got the right system to get the benefit of that version.
I understand what Bill is saying, maybe I didn’t describe the scenario quite correctly. I think the re-mastering process sparkles things up and lets my aged ears hear better.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:44 pm 
The Citizen

The re-mastering on EMI's previous CD reissues of the album were not good, which accounts for what you're hearing. Play the original version and you'll hear it as it was intended to sound. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:25 pm 
Regular

I wondered if part of the deal with Cherry Red includes the possibility of the back catalogue being issued on vinyl? It's all the rage nowadays I understand. I could then listen to how it was meant to sound. I'll have to get that Rega Turntable I bought 4 years ago and have never used working and listen to what Be Bop / early Bill I have on LP.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:39 am 
New in Town

Bill Nelson wrote:
The re-mastering on EMI's previous CD reissues of the album were not good, which accounts for what you're hearing. Play the original version and you'll hear it as it was intended to sound. :wink:

My LP copy is one of those ugly green-label discs that Capitol issued at a discount in the 1980's. Funny how little thought we gave to records from different countries in past decades! But surely the original master tape wasn't used for all masterings beyond the UK, let alone re-issues years later. Now we use the sonic equivalent of a fine-toothed comb (a fine toothed comb filter?) to dissect the sound we hear.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:09 pm 
The Citizen

As you all probably know by now, I do prefer the album the way John and myself mixed it. It sounds warmer, the guitar sounds richer and the vocal effects work really well, especially the reverse vocal reverb on 'Crying To The Sky.' It just has a magic for me and is exactly how the album was intended to sound.

The new remix sounds somewhat harder, brighter and more 'clinical' to my ears. For me it loses some of its mystery, everything is on one plane instead of being a landscape of sound with some things in shade or semi-shadow, a depth of field photograph where the perspective shifts as the lens is focussed, allowing some things to come to the fore at different points in time. It's more of a 'painterly' mix, which is exactly how we approached it.

I certainly think the new mix is an interesting aside, but I can't listen to it without feeling that it's lost some of its original magic. Clarity isn't always a good thing.

But, the album is over 40 years old and my work has moved on considerably since those day, so Be Bop Deluxe feels like a distant dream to me now. :wink: