www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Postman Pat Has Delivered My Sunburst Finish Deluxe Edition
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:24 am 
Regular

Postman Pat delivered my deluxe edition of Sunburst Finish on Saturday 24-Nov-2018. I FLAC ripped the CDs and converted the DVD Audio to FLAC the next day. Played Disc 2 of the 4 yesterday afternoon. It was the first time I’ve listened to all the tracks off Sunburst Finish in order for ages. The sound was amazing. The Re-master has worked. I was hearing things I’d never noticed, (or couldn’t hear) compared to the original CD/Album.
I hope the same treatment is given to the remaining Be Bop albums. If it is I can’t wait to hear Futurama and Drastic Plastic in the same way. For me these are the best two Be Bop Albums!

Post subject: Re: Postman Pat Has Delivered My Sunburst Finish Deluxe Edit
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:23 pm 
Regular

Tiffanys Hull 1974 wrote:
Postman Pat delivered my deluxe edition of Sunburst Finish on Saturday 24-Nov-2018. I FLAC ripped the CDs and converted the DVD Audio to FLAC the next day. Played Disc 2 of the 4 yesterday afternoon. It was the first time I’ve listened to all the tracks off Sunburst Finish in order for ages. The sound was amazing. The Re-master has worked. I was hearing things I’d never noticed, (or couldn’t hear) compared to the original CD/Album.
I hope the same treatment is given to the remaining Be Bop albums. If it is I can’t wait to hear Futurama and Drastic Plastic in the same way. For me these are the best two Be Bop Albums!

Still waiting here in NL. I expect that I will receive sometime in early December. Did they notify you that it was on the way?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:03 am 
The Citizen

I was hearing things I’d never noticed, (or couldn’t hear) compared to the original

As I've noted elsewhere, my personal preference is for the original mixes which sound exactly the way John Leckie and I intended them to sound, a more rich and mellow effect. Hearing things you've'never heard before may be interesting, or a novelty, but those things were not meant to be heard that way at all. It's a bit like taking a Picasso painting and straightening up the nose and eyes of a portrait to make them appear more 'normal.'. It's an interesting enough approach, I guess, but the definitive mix remains the original.

I tend to prefer totally radical remixes, like the one that was done a few years ago for the track 'Heavenly Homes.' Now that really was something out of the ordinary and brought a different and fresh approach to the song. But you know me, I'm not keen on messing with the past unless it completely re-shapes the music for the future, and that requires something a little more imaginative than a re-balancing of the original. The original, for me, in this context, is untouchable and perfect. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:16 am 
Regular

Apologies for chipping in once more but much depends on which version is being commented on. The new box set contains a 16 bit and 24 bit version of the original version, remastered, and a second 16 and 24 bit version that has been remixed.

The remaster sounds much closer in quailty to the vinyl version than previous cd versions, perhaps because analog to digital processing has improved over the years or for other reasons associated with getting the best source tapes. Whatever the case, this is not a remix but I stand to be corrected if wrong.

The remix is very different and is not how the original, vinyl or otherwise, sounded. For me, I like it and I think the sound quality is an improvement, whatever the views are on tampering with the original balance.

However, the non-remixed remaster is also a noticeable improvement. I always felt the CD of Sunburst Finish lost something compared to the original vinyl version and that's now not the case. I would love to see something like Modern Music getting the same treatment without any remixing to upset Bill being involved.

I'll shut up now :)

John

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:47 am 
Regular

Having followed Bill on this wonderful journey for these so many years.
I'd left behind Be Bop as each new Bill release is always a new page that forever opens in this wonderful book of experiences.
I have purchased the deluxe box set of Sunburst Finish and what a beautiful job on the packaging has been done, I do hope there are plans to do something similar with all the other Be Bop albums.

PS
I forgot what a shit hot album it is too :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:35 am 
Regular

Axe Victim wrote:
I do hope there are plans to do something similar with all the other Be Bop albums.
I'd guess that this could well depend on how the Sunburst Finish reissue sells. I assume that it was the biggest selling of the BBD albums?

Perhaps 2-disc sets - remaster plus BBC recordings - might be appropriate for the others. They are currently doing this for the first four Greenslade albums. (Greenslade are technically the first name band I ever saw, supporting Rory Gallagher in 1973.)

But I would love a Modern Music box set!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:57 pm 
Regular

I would love a Red Noise "box" that would include the singles (or non-usa tracks) and a live show as well as any BBC performances / Grey Whistle Stop video. Nice to have it all in a neat package. Include photos. A wonderful way to honor Ian Nelson. :idea:

:arrow:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:24 pm 
Regular

Quinault wrote:
I would love a Red Noise "box" that would include the singles (or non-usa tracks) and a live show as well as any BBC performances / Grey Whistle Stop video. Nice to have it all in a neat package. Include photos. A wonderful way to honor Ian Nelson. :idea:

:arrow:

What he said.

I imagine it's already in the works.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:06 pm 
Regular

Was in York earlier today working, had a quick look in HMV and found the 2 CD version in the racks. Moved it to the front!
Mick

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:48 am 
New in Town

Bill Nelson wrote:
I was hearing things I’d never noticed, (or couldn’t hear) compared to the original

As I've noted elsewhere, my personal preference is for the original mixes which sound exactly the way John Leckie and I intended them to sound, a more rich and mellow effect.

Bill's thoughts echo what I read from Steve Howe regarding the remixed Yes Fragile album from the early 2000's. I think the original mix of Sunburst is great, but I'm looking forward to the new version. There is often something missing in '70's era recordings. Whether it's some mechanical energy held back to allow the phonographs of the era to play them or a radio-friendliness or just something that is possibly lost in the transfer from 2" to 1/4" tape, I don't know. Often a remix from the multitrack master will bring that life roaring back so it sounds like you're standing in the control room and you're living the album as well as listening!