www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: PLECTRONICA--ATTENDEE'S COMMENTS
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:11 pm 
Regular

Surprised no-one else has posted anything yet, but it's possible, like me, they're all still in a bit of a daze....

Let's get the easy bit out of the way first--Bill was bloody brilliant. I know you're always hypercritical of your own performances Mr N, but from where I sat you were faultless. Too much good stuff to pick out individual tracks, but your collaborations with Dave Sturt and Theo Travis always leave me jaw agape in astonishment at the sheer musicality you manage to produce in each other. There is surely no greater pleasure in life than watching three ridiculously talented musicians combine so well....unless you are one of those three musicians, of course?

Minor quibble time--I couldn't hear Harold's contributions very well from where I was sat(about half way up)--but I'm willing to believe that's a problem with my hearing rather than the live sound mix! I know that seeing Harold perform with Bill again was a memory that all of us will treasure for many years to come.

The q&a afterwards had the potential to be a bit predictable--how many times can Bill be asked the same sort of questions about his career without it becoming repetitive?--but in the capable hands of our expert quizmaster Ian, and Bill's own natural friendliness and fabulous raconteur skills, it was as fresh and entertaining as you could hope for.

Other fun points were seeing the look for delight and surprise on Bill's face when "da boys" told him he's getting a new guitar (I could imaging Emiko saying to herself "not another one..."), the spontaneous round of applause for Bill's mum when she left the venue and the lovely smile she gave us all, and the pleasure everyone felt when it was announced how much the guitar raffle had raised for Ged and the Sarah's Hope foundation.

And the biggest fun point of all was hearing the man himself saying he might just have to do it all again next year....the whole world saw you say that Bill, you're committed now!!!

Eternal thanks to Ian, Jon, and all the Nelsonica guys for organising it all and persuading our reluctant hero that age is just a number, and talent--pure, unadulterated and glorious--will out despite the vicissitudes of time!!

See you next year Mr. N!

Post subject: Re: PLECTRONICA--ATTENDEE'S COMMENTS
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:40 pm 
Regular

As I've posted here elsewhere, Bill put on a very special show. He was in top form last night.

It was also great meeting friends again, both old and new.

Yes, Ian did a spiffy job interviewing Bill. By the way, the man responsible for gathering those birthday messages from Bill's artist friends is our very own forum member extraordinaire - alec. Thanks alec - a wonderful tribute to our Bill.

John

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:43 pm 

The interview was always going to be a bit difficult because we wanted to cover Bill's 70 years and didn't have masses of time. I think just about any aspect of Bill's career could cover an entire interview. He is very thoughtful, intelligent, and a great raconteur,
giving fabulously informative and interesting answers, and nothing was going to live up to that incredible live performance...especially with me involved! I'm glad you appreciated our efforts though.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:47 pm 
Regular

The Mad Scouser wrote:
... the pleasure everyone felt when it was announced how much the guitar raffle had raised for Ged and the Sarah's Hope foundation.
Go on then - how much?

And did anyone we know get the guitar?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:51 am 
Regular

Having been very fortunate to have seen Bill live on numerous occasions over the years. I thought Saturday's Plectronica Event was really special.
Bill looked relaxed and his playing was beautiful.
So great meeting up before and after seeing old friends and making new.
An old friend on here Merikan was the lucky sod who won the raffle and the lovey guitar and I think the raffle raised over 2 grand. A fantastic effort.
Thanks to the gang who put all the effort in which makes the day go so smoothly.

I look forward to doing it all again next year :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:34 am 
Regular

After missing last years shindig, I was really looking forward to this one and boy, it exceeded my expectations. :)

Bill’s health issues didn’t seem to hamper his ability to put on a terrific performance, attacking each number with gusto and leaving us all mesmerised with his unique style and class as he showcased his guitars with each number. :) Starting with the classic Gloria Mundae, he went on to play a mixture of old and new instrumentals that grabbed and held us all throughout...especially loved the new track ‘The furnace...’, ( can’t remember the full title ) and the Theo Travis/Dave Stuart collaboration as always was a pleasure to see and hear, though Harold Budd’s contribution was rather muted and low in the mix and was difficult for us in the audience to appreciate...

The Q and A section was expertly handled by Ian Haydock, who is brilliant at these Nelsonica events, along with the rest of the team and Bill comprehensively covered a lot of his history...a lot we all knew, but some new revelations that I haven’t heard before...
Yes, I wanted to win that guitar but glad that my buddy Bruce (Merikan1) got his hands on it...mind your beard doesn’t get tangled up in the strings buddy! :D
As someone has said already, it was a great moment when Bill’s lovely mum came out and received a very loud round of applause! :)
Bill’s reaction was priceless when he was handed a cardboard cut out of the Buckland Super...”Am I really going to get a real one.” he asked, genuinely surprised! :D

As always, meeting up with old friends again was magical and I can only thank them all for their wonderful company...as well as some new friends I met who took the time to say hello...Thanks!
To me, the Nelsonian Family that I have met over the years are just the most warm, generous and genuine people you could meet..a special mention to all Americans that made the trip over..Peter Coulombe, Stephen Weis, Eric Daum, Dave (Sauropod), John Fisher and those I’ve missed...

So cheers Bill for making all this possible, I wish you a very happy birthday, enjoy your new guitar when it arrives in January and look forward to doing it all again next year!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:55 am 
Regular

Thank you all for your insight. I thought too, giving Bill's health issue, he was on top of his game and did tunes that were extremely difficult to preform starting with tune #1. I appreciate you guys giving your thoughts of the show.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:06 pm 
Regular

Another fabulous event and a big thanks to everyone involved in setting it up and helping Bill make it a success.

I was genuinely shocked that Harold Budd was the special guest and I am even more convinced that "Orchestra Futura" should create and release an album or maybe a live album could be brought into the public domain if recordings were taken from the mixing desk on Saturday and a previous Nelsonica (was it the Harrogate Nelsonica they played at?).

I was really gripped by the Q&A - I thought Ian did a superb job of posing the questions and did well to focus on some key landmarks within Bill's career. The story about Bill's Dad buying him his first "proper" guitar plus the move from focusing on guitars to synths and back again and the GTHGA recordings were of particular interest.

Most touching were the comments read out from fellow artists. Great to hear the heartfelt comments from all, especially those from Iain Denby, John Foxx and Cabaret Voltaire.

Tremendous to see old friends again and so many who had travelled from across the pond. The amount of American (and possibly Canadian) accents I heard in the crowd was very impressive. Notable hellos to John Fisher and also Ed from Arizona whom I met as I was sat next to him for part 2!!

Looking forward to an event in 2019 hopefully, If the same venue, can the facilities management team turn down the radiators a few notches. It was stifling hot at the back upstairs!! :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:23 pm 
New in Town

Massive thanks to everyone involved in putting on this event - your efforts are really appreciated. It was a fantastic evening.

Does anyone know the name of the pianist during the intermission? It was announced but I couldn't hear it over the applause.

cheers

Alasdair.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:51 pm 
Regular

A truely splendid evening in a great setting.

Bill played with passion and verve throughout. What more could you want? Except for about 3 more hours! :wink: 8)