www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Fan Sourcing Studio Time
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:35 am 
New in Town

In yesterday's 'Happy Adventure's...' journal entry Bill mentions that a number of 'very generous' fans had got together to fund the purchase of a Backlund 'Super-100' guitar for him. I had missed this news at the show. I thought it had been purchased by Ian and all those helping put together the event. In that same spirit, I wonder if others would be interesting in 'fan' sourcing enough for Bill to pay for studio time at Fairfield as was discussed during the interview portion. If 500 of us are ready to buy up all his CDs as soon as they are released, could we get 500 of us to also put in $50 or $100 (whatever it would cost) for the honor and pleasure of hearing Bill record with a full band again? If he is amenable, of course...

Just a thought!

Post subject: Re: Fan Sourcing Studio Time
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:53 am 
New in Town

I don't see an edit button but meant Fairview studios and 50 or 100 pounds...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:07 pm 
Regular

This sounds a little like a pledge I joined back in 2014 for a China Crisis CD. Once the target had been achieved the contributors got their CD. I've also through the same website; (Pledge Music) paid a contribution towards a proposed release by Kevin Godley. Therefore, I'm in if anyone is going to organize it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:03 pm 
Regular

Tiffanys Hull 1974 wrote:
This sounds a little like a pledge I joined back in 2014 for a China Crisis CD. Once the target had been achieved the contributors got their CD.

I did that one as well.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:58 pm 
New in Town

I would be happy to try to coordinate this but with only 2 replies after 350+ views it seems the critical mass is not there. And of course we don't know if Bill would be on board.

My original thinking was that many of Bill's recordings from the '90s were on admittedly inferior equipment compared to what is available in a full studio, or even what Bill is using today. The other aspect for me as a fan is the richer tapestry of tones and timbres that comes from allowing other great musicians to add their influence, especially on drums and bass, but also background vocals and keyboards (and Travis!). The versions of Lady You're A Strange Girl and God Man Slain with the Gentlemen Rockers are great examples. Take those into a studio along with 10-12 of Bill's best songs from the last 20 years and you have the makings for an incredible album, one that I for one would be happy to pay for in advance if that helps the finances work. Of course Bill has made it known that he is always looking forward and isn't looking to re-record older material so this is really just my dream as a fan! Maybe if enough of us were on board Bill would see the merits...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:43 am 
The Citizen

jdonova wrote:
I would be happy to try to coordinate this but with only 2 replies after 350+ views it seems the critical mass is not there. And of course we don't know if Bill would be on board.

My original thinking was that many of Bill's recordings from the '90s were on admittedly inferior equipment compared to what is available in a full studio, or even what Bill is using today. The other aspect for me as a fan is the richer tapestry of tones and timbres that comes from allowing other great musicians to add their influence, especially on drums and bass, but also background vocals and keyboards (and Travis!). The versions of Lady You're A Strange Girl and God Man Slain with the Gentlemen Rockers are great examples. Take those into a studio along with 10-12 of Bill's best songs from the last 20 years and you have the makings for an incredible album, one that I for one would be happy to pay for in advance if that helps the finances work. Of course Bill has made it known that he is always looking forward and isn't looking to re-record older material so this is really just my dream as a fan! Maybe if enough of us were on board Bill would see the merits...

You're probably not going to like my comments on this, but, if I ever should decide to spend money on a 'proper', (note the ironic context of this,) studio recording, I wouldn't be interested in re-recordsing older material in preference to reaching out to the future with a newer, more experimental approach.

You see, I have no interest in revisiting material that was laid down in a form that seemed appropriate and right at the time it was recorded, no matter how many fans might prefer the songs or wish otherwise. It just seems like a total waste of time, time that could be better utilised in creating new and more time-relevant music.

Don't misunderstand, I'm quite happy for fans to dwell on past work from any era they wish, but wishing for a true artist to do likewise is bound to bring disappointment I'm afraid. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:49 am 
New in Town

Understood Bill - Thanks for replying!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:31 pm 
Regular

I can see the attraction from a fan's (I hate that term, it makes me think of the Bay City Rollers :) ) point of view. Similar perhaps to the 'unplugged' reinterpretations that were the rage for a while. I can also see it from a creative artist's point of view. Some artists side more towards being entertainers; others are more like adventurers, off to look for the holy grail, or the next beautiful chord, sentence, or image.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:51 pm 
The Citizen

David Too wrote:
Some artists side more towards being entertainers; others are more like adventurers, off to look for the holy grail, or the next beautiful chord, sentence, or image.

I really don't think of myself as an entertainer, (unless I'm entertaining myself, of course :wink: .)

But if other people find some source of entertainment in the music I make, then I'm very happy. But if they don't, well, that doesn't make me think that I should make more of an effort to entertain them. I guess it's a 'take it or leave it' situation. I am what I am and the music is what it is. No artificiality, no pretence, no calculated stab at 'stardom.' It's impossible for me to approach it otherwise. It's like asking a Daffoldil to be blue instead of yellow. . :wink: :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:37 am 
Regular

jdnova quote
''I wonder if others would be interested in 'fan' sourcing enough for Bill to pay for studio time at Fairview?''

Bill Nelson Quote

if I ever should decide to spend money on a 'proper', (note the ironic context of this,) studio recording, I wouldn't be interested in re-recording older material in preference to reaching out to the future with a newer, more experimental approach.

The question is Bill,

''Would you be interested in spending studio time payed for by your fan base on new experimental projects in fairview studios, with your favourite producer/friend at the helm?''

I am one of of the people who would not appreciate the re enactment/re-recording of older materials as i particularly appreciate them all in their own space and time and quality