www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Auditoria a balanced track by track review?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:03 pm 
Regular

Location: Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire, West of The Rhubarb Triangle
How about it. Let’s hear what you think of this triple album...maybe compare it with other recent releases? such as the brilliant Electric Atlas for instance? How would a music paper look at it. Would it gain any new fans who have missed a little of Bill’s music. Is it an essential collection or one for hard core fans only?

http://www.soundclick.com/archiveavenue

Post subject: Re: Auditoria a balanced track by track review?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:15 pm 
Regular

I think it's absolutely sensational. A rich, varied mix of styles - some pieces catch my ear immediately, and I think "this is just pure genius". On first listen to each of the discs, my favourite album of the three is Mysterium. Plectricity (from Plus Ultra) - wow! I really don't know how a single artist can produce this much music and it still sounds as fresh as a mountain stream - that in itself is a mystery! :)

(I read your earlier comment about not liking voice samples. Don't worry too much about that - this is a very diverse collection, with a lot to please all aficionados of Bill's work).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:39 pm 
The Citizen

With 'Auditoria' I wanted to give a little flavour of several, (though not all,) genres or styles that I've touched on over the last ten years or so. Some of 'Auditoria's' tracks fuse these styles together in a single piece. A hybrid, mutant approach that I like a lot these days...basically where the individual styles and the boundaries between them blur and it becomes impossible to pin a track down to any one specific genre. It's my take on 'music without frontiers.'

My personal favourite of the three discs is 'Mysterium', probably because it's the most 'modern' in it's approach and has a mellow, melancholy atmosphere to some tracks. It's perhaps the deeper of the three discs but the other two provide a varied mix of things, some in a more rock vein, some in terms of pop, but definitely skewed and mashed up in a hopefully interesting fashion..

I know David, (Major Snagg,) had asked why I hadn't made the download of 'Auditoria' available as three separate albums. The answer to that is that the three discs are intended as one epic album and should be heard in the order that they're presented. They're inter-related. They form a complete musical journey from the beginning to the end destination with lots to take in en route. Making them available as three separate albums would break up that journey and the effect would be lost. People also might download only one of the discs and not the other two, missing the big picture...and it's all about the big picture. :wink: :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:07 pm 
Regular

Location: Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire, West of The Rhubarb Triangle
OK, I quite understand that Bill. In time, maybe this collection will be looked upon in the same way that Noise Candy, The Dreamshire Chronicles ,Whimsy and Clocks & Dials are today. All were pretty daunting prospects for the listener upon their release. Thanks for your patient understanding in my (maybe) 'ill advised' comments concerning the new triple album, Auditoria.

http://www.soundclick.com/archiveavenue

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:52 am 
Regular

I'm not a music reviewer but I felt like it had a bit of a Noise Candy vibe on first impression. This is somewhat corroborated by Bill saying it's a representation of his wider body of work.

But it really does feel like more of a fusion than a segmented box of music candy.

It has songs! It has great lyrics. Bill's vocals brought a smile to my face right away and I just thought this guy is still here with us. 70 years old and nobody on this earth is cooler to me!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:54 pm 
The Citizen

MondoJohnny wrote:
I'm not a music reviewer but I felt like it had a bit of a Noise Candy vibe on first impression. This is somewhat corroborated by Bill saying it's a representation of his wider body of work.

But it really does feel like more of a fusion than a segmented box of music candy.

It has songs! It has great lyrics. Bill's vocals brought a smile to my face right away and I just thought this guy is still here with us. 70 years old and nobody on this earth is cooler to me!

Thanks, Mondo, that's much appreciated! :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:23 pm 
Regular

Taking care of wallet content being Chritmas and all, I finally downloaded it. What closed the deal was
some complaints about the found voices and referenes to Noise Candy. These elements convinced me
that this is a must have. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:50 am 
The Citizen

major snagg wrote:
maybe this collection will be looked upon in the same way that Noise Candy, The Dreamshire Chronicles ,Whimsy and Clocks & Dials are today. All were pretty daunting prospects for the listener upon their release.

Well, not every listener found those albums a challenge, perhaps one or two who were out of the loop with my more contemporary output, but those were really easy albums to get into, all fairly straight song-oriented pop-rock albums, at least that's how I perceived them. 'Noise Candy' in particular, was a collection of old unreleased analogue material from the '80s/'90s, more retrospective than my then current music. Maybe the sheer wealth of material took time to sink in.

But, it's impossible to predict how things are perceived by different sensibilities. What seems straight, simple and easy to assimilate music to me may well seem difficult to certain other fans. Never mind though.

Time moves on and with it tastes and sensibilities move on too. You can't please everyone, nor should an artist try to do so, unless he's aiming solely at entertainment and not at true artistry. Not sure where I stand on the line between these polarities, but don't particularly care. It's just, (only,) personal expression via music. Viva le difference! :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:36 pm 
Regular

Funny, but I find Noise Candy to be a most cohesive piece of work, still not had a chance to try Auditoria but I’ve a couple of long journeys this week to York, of all places, and Scarborough. Looking forward to the journey!

Mick

p.s and before I forget, all the best Bill! :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:24 pm 
Regular

Have managed to listen through once and love it. As someone mentioned earlier some tracks hit you first time (tho I can't remember their titles!). Look forward to really making the (triple) album's acquaintance!

N