www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: UNDERSTANDING THE IDEA.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:30 am 
Regular

The elevated comment I made is a generalisation regarding attitude. When I was a kid growing up, maybe it was different in your neck of the woods but classical music was somehow portrayed as being a higher, loftier form of music. Certainly in music class, on the BBC etc. From where I was sitting that seemed to be the image that was pushed across . Classical players were real musicians where as pop/rock/jazz players were somehow less. It was a lower form.
If you've ever seen Hans Keller talk about The Pink Floyd in the famous interview he did back in the late sixties, it portrays what I'm talking about. His classic line is something like "perhaps I'm too much of a musician to appreciate them", it's a common attitude in the classical world. My nephew is a classical piano player with a masters from royal college of music in Edinburgh and it's certainly an attitude that I have picked up on just listening to his friends banter back and forth.
Which brings me back to the point I was making or trying to, albeit extremely basic. To me playing someone else's music is playing someone else's music, be that dots on manuscript paper or from listening to a record. Is a bar band playing a cover is any different than an orchestra playing a piece from 200 or 300 years ago when it boils down to it? Just because one form may be far more skilled, more complex, more layered, more intellectual in it's conception does that make it somehow more acceptable? To me it's all the same thing. If you didn't compose the piece then you're playing someone else's music which by default makes it a cover version. We have different ways of looking at this and that's ok I certainly can appreciate what you're saying, I just see it differently.
I enjoy doing original work under the right circumstances, it's extremely satisfying. I also enjoy doing covers too. I'm glad there are people like your good self pushing us along. Hopefully we'll continue to have composers pushing the boundaries in every form of music. It can only enrich us all.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:04 pm 
Regular

What if it was a Pink Floyd cover band that reworked the music… for bluegrass?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:14 pm 
Regular

wadcorp wrote:

The concept of that reminds me of DEVO's version of 'Satisfaction', which Mick gave the thumbs up to, said it was his favourite cover [and which produced a unique beat that a few different drummer friends of mine have found as impenetrable beat-wise [ and arrangement-wise ] as "Talking Drum" by Japan .]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:34 pm 
Regular

wadcorp wrote:
Would be surprised if Hayseed Dixie haven't done a Floyd cover at some point over the years.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:27 pm 
Regular

I know there's a polka one out there, they're friends with Reeves Gabrels wife. She was talking to me about them and how good they were at one of his shows last year.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:59 pm 
Regular

Playing covers can be fine, it can even be great. A lot of people have covered Leonard Cohen songs over the years and a lot of them are far better than his originals. They are re-interpretations of the song not just imitations.

I just don't get the tribute band thing at all...... Really it just shows a total lack of originality, quite sad really.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:04 pm 
Regular

next move wrote:
I know there's a polka one out there, they're friends with Reeves Gabrels wife. She was talking to me about them and how good they were at one of his shows last year.
That rang a bell. I don't know if you are referring to this band - Polka Floyd - but they are well worth watching... and the guitar solo from 3:30 onwards is great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urAUcYJxKjc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:45 am 
Regular

market wrote:
Playing covers can be fine, it can even be great. A lot of people have covered Leonard Cohen songs over the years and a lot of them are far better than his originals. They are re-interpretations of the song not just imitations.

I just don't get the tribute band thing at all...... Really it just shows a total lack of originality, quite sad really.

I guess I'm just a sad individual then !