www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: PREACHING TO THE UNCONVERTED...
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:43 pm 
The Citizen

I'm still astonished by how many old followers of Be Bop Deluxe I encounter on Facebook who profess to being great fans of my music and yet seem to have not discovered anything I've done beyond the '70s era. They don't appear to know of Dreamsville or anything beyond the fact that they found Red Noise not to their liking. And maybe that's when they switched off. All fair enough, I suppose...but what a wealth of music they've missed.

Of course, I try to gently steer them in the direction of my later work but, somehow, I get the impression that they're reluctant to investigate any further. You'd think that at least curiosity might prevail. :lol:

One post was from someone who yearned for me to put a band together to play a few old Be Bop Deluxe numbers. I pointed out that this had been done in 2004 with the 'Be Bop Deluxe And Beyond' tour and subsequently at several Nelsonica events, but that it was now too late and if he'd missed it...well, as they say, tough titty. Many of these fans really only bought one of the band's albums or attended one concert and their memories are more to do with their impetuous youth than any deep involvement with the musical direction the band took. It's frustrating but I shouldn't really fret about it too much. Some people are on the beam, others will never find what it illuminates. But thank goodness that you dedicated folk are tuned in and appreciative. Thanks for your support! :wink: :D

Post subject: Re: PREACHING TO THE UNCONVERTED...
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:16 am 
Regular

That's really something else, Bill.

I remember in the late '80s/early '90s, I was roped into a musical project with someone partly over our enthusiasm for your recorded material.

One time we got slightly augmented on something other and, out-of-the-blue, he said, "What's up with those people who didn't continue on listening to Bill after Be Bop Deluxe?"

I started laughing and said, "Fuck those people."

He started laughing and then I said, "Yeah ... well ... to be fair, maybe Red Noise alienated those peeps, right" ?

He then, after about a 20-second pause, said, "Fuck those people ... what about Drastic Plastic" ? !

We started laughing again .

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:16 am 
Regular

Does this make me a convertible? :?

:arrow:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:33 am 
Regular

I must be part of the next generation of fans. I was becoming aware of music when Drastic Plastic came out, although my first Be Bop Deluxe memory is the song Japan... other than that Be Bop Deluxe passed me by until recent years. But it was the Red Noise album that did it for me, and it's the earliest bit of Bill's music that I play with any regularity. If you got lucky (my view) and heard music like Red Noise, and in my case Japan, Sparks and Magazine, at the right time you end up still open to new Bill Nelson, Arcade Fire and Public Service Broadcasting 40 odd years later. The music of your formative years really is formative I suppose.

So it's not you Bill, it's them. There are groups all over Facebook full of people who want it to be the 1970s again. Personally I could live without the 3 day week and my mum choosing horrible jumpers for me, but each to their own. I doubt there is any point in trying to convert the dyed in the wool Be Bop Deluxe fans, but at least they will buy a reissue - as long as Bill makes money from it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:44 pm 
Regular

Born in 1961, I was lucky to have an older brother with a paying job that brought home an album with a cool looking skull on it. Just becoming a teenager, I gravitated to it. The music grabbed me right away. It wasn't just your basic 4/4 timing rock tunes and it was different, yet very melodic. I was fortunate to have DJ, Scott Muni at WNEW in New York City. He would play whole album sides during his shift and often play BBD. He enjoyed playing Modern Music side two. And would boast about BBD.

Through my college years, early 1980's, I developed a musical liking to Bill's artistic approach to his sounds, beats and his unique song writing. It gave me an ear and insight to create my own original music.

Playing BBD songs today still gives me a breath of fresh air. The songs seem as if they could be written in this present day. Maybe that's what some folks are still craving for? Bill to continue to relive the past? Over and over again?

I'm a Jersey Boy, but I don't need Springsteen to continue playing Born To Run. I rather enjoy an artist growing, searching, reaching and developing new again.

I can understand that not all people can process, unlayer and appreciate Bill's music. I'm sure as hell, many of us here do obtain a pleasure in Bill's music. It sure isn't easy to create and record by any means, I tried it, it's very complicated. Yet Bill makes it seem it's a beeze. Still I listen to every note and say, how did he do that !?!?!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:39 pm 
Regular

I work in the opposite direction. The first I heard of BN was 'Flaming Desire' and The Love that Whirls LP. I picked up all the BN stuff I could find, which included the Permanent Flame singles box. That was when I learnt there used to be a group called Be Bop Deluxe. I tentatively explored BBD but was put off by the 70s-ishness of them (anathema to a boy of my generation). I didn't like the way they looked, and I found 'Ships in the Night' and 'Maid in Heaven' a tad cringeworthy. In later years, I dipped my toe into the world of BBD a bit further, but, no. For me, BBD is of its time, whereas BN has mostly been timeless as a solo artist.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:24 pm 
Regular

Bill I very much tread on eggshels here ....but ive seen Sunburst Deluxe threee times ..at v loud volume .and i loved it ..and have met likeminded ppl ..we love you from the start and ongoing loves ..but as thy say ..ppl want to hear the hits ...and want to remember making love in a capri to Lovers are mortal ..over and out

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:18 pm 
Regular

Bill Nelson wrote:
Many of these fans really only bought one of the band's albums or attended one concert and their memories are more to do with their impetuous youth than any deep involvement with the musical direction the band took.

Well, that's pretty much nail on the head...Looking back and isolating the career and musical output of Be Bop Deluxe, the simple phrase I would use to encapsulate the whole Bill Nelson/Be Bop experience was 'a sense of wonder, anticipation and excitement!.'

After the debut album, the line-up change and change of direction of the second album, well, you could sense something special was in motion. For me, the penny dropped with the release of 'Sunburst Finish', where I was then able to say, ok, I can now see the possible desires and intentions Bill Nelson has for this band, as much as was possible, at least...A band that kept on challenging the musical norm of the time, both with content, and stylistically and actually having the balls and daring to do so in the first place, rather than conform to the safety net of the vanilla approach employed by the vast number of bands of the time..the excitment and anticipation was well and truly ignited after the release of 'Sunburst', for me and my friends, just what were we going to get next?!..and that was the essence of it really, craving something new and exciting, something different, but not knowing where we were going to be taken..and of course, Bill and band delivered the shiny brand new goods again with 'Modern Music' and again with 'Drastic Plastic'..and what a fabulous ride it was, but I for one think it was also a great place to disembark the Be Bop ship and leave it safely in dry-dock and keep the ethos going in new projects, formulations and musical ventures..after all, there's only so much a band can do, cross a certain line and the risk of becoming stale and formulaic begins to rear it's head...I think a solo artist has much more flexibility and freedom to explore different musical avenues, boundaries, approaches and experimentation, rather than being trapped within the confines of a rigid band and management structure and the expectations of fellow band members, and certain fans.....Be Bop Deluxe were great at what they did and certainly an innovative band of the time..and they finished their journey on a high...but, as they say, that was then and this is now :wink:

As for 'tribute bands', all I can say is, don't, just don't... :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:42 am 
The Citizen

Brassneck wrote:
ive seen Sunburst Deluxe threee times ..at v loud volume .and i loved it

Tourist in Wonderland wrote:
that was then and this is now

As for 'tribute bands', all I can say is, don't, just don't...

Well, you all already know my thoughts on the plagiarism of 'tribute' bands who rip off my songs and make money from copying my work and style without paying for the privilege, I won't go into it further, but I do think it's a shame. To me it's perpetuating a dead past for personal gain and glory. Very sad and unfair and I wish they'd leave it alone. :(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:18 pm 
Regular

Bill, I remember you told us about that time you saw a Sunburst Deluxe gig and then afterwards you spoke to them saying something to effect of, "Since you've been able to duplicate my songs so well, why not write your own material" ?

Was there a reply to that question ?

It's a great question .