www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Thu May 23, 2019 10:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A HAUNTED HOUSE? PULL THE OTHER ONE...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:08 pm 
The Citizen

Just had an email from my daughter Elle. She's found a link to a commercial 'Ghost Hunting' page that is advertising a ghost hunter's evening at Haddlesey House near Selby. The advert talks about a door slamming shut on its own and cold spots in bathrooms, etc. To attend the evening costs £39 per person.

Well, as you probably know, Haddlesey house was my home from the late '70s to the end of the '80s. I completely renovated the property and absolutely loved the place. It was where I located 'The Echo Observatory' studio. It was also where Elle and Elliot spent the first part of their lives and they remember the house with great affection.

To see it being touted as a 'haunted house' now is amusing, and baffling. All the years I lived there I experienced absolutely none of the ghostly manifestations claimed in the advert. Nothing ghostly or strange ever happened. If anything, the house exuded a warm and benevolent atmosphere, so I'm wondering if this spooky evening is simply being cooked up to make some cash from impressionable and gullible people. Anyway, here's the link to the advert:
http://simplyghostnights.co.uk/events/g ... uary-2019/

Post subject: Re: A HAUNTED HOUSE? PULL THE OTHER ONE...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:55 pm 
Regular

Perhaps it's the ghost of good taste.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:05 pm 
The Citizen

A little earlier I went on the company's Facebook page and posted a comment explaining I'd lived at the house for many years and never encountered anything remotely ghostly. I ended the post by saying that if it was now haunted, it might be a spooky protest about the place being exploited for commercial gain. :lol:

I've just now checked the Facebook page again to see if there had been any reaction...only to find that my post had been mysteriously removed! Spooky! (Or maybe it's the company guy who took it down because it exposes the fake nature of the claims and might curb his profits.) :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:20 pm 
Regular

Hasn't the person who lives in it now posted here once or twice, including quite recently?

Perhaps he could give us more information.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:11 pm 
Regular

Perfect Monster wrote:
Hasn't the person who lives in it now posted here once or twice, including quite recently?

Perhaps he could give us more information.

Good point, PM .

Yes, empireurn posted here :

https://tinyurl.com/ybxmornm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:13 pm 
The Citizen

Both my children, (now adults,) who spent their formative years living at Haddlesey House, ate incensed by the ridiculous claims of this company's statement that the place is 'haunted' and that doors mysteriously close and lock of their own accord, and that there are rooms that remain cold even in summer. What a load of nonsense! A total joke! :roll:

It's just been cooked up to attract people who are willing to spend money attending a dubious 'ghost hunting' evening in any old property that might vaguely fit someone's ideas of what a haunted house might look like. It's a calculated exploitation of the gullible.

Take it from me, someone who lived in that house for many years...it's not in the least bit haunted. It was a warm and welcoming property and the falsehoods being foisted on those who yearn for ghostly experiences are an insult to the house itself. But, if I were a ghost, I'd come back to chase those money rakers out! :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:25 am 
Regular

"One of the bathrooms never ever gets warm even in the Summer months". Interesting... if that's one of the criteria then I'm tempted to rent my own place out for ghost hunters... :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:41 pm 
Regular

Bill Nelson wrote:
Both my children, (now adults,) who spent their formative years living at Haddlesey House, ate incensed by the ridiculous claims of this company's statement that the place is 'haunted' and that doors mysteriously close and lock of their own accord, and that there are rooms that remain cold even in summer. What a load of nonsense! A total joke! :roll:

It's just been cooked up to attract people who are willing to spend money attending a dubious 'ghost hunting' evening in any old property that might vaguely fit someone's ideas of what a haunted house might look like. It's a calculated exploitation of the gullible.

Take it from me, someone who lived in that house for many years...it's not in the least bit haunted. It was a warm and welcoming property and the falsehoods being foisted on those who yearn for ghostly experiences are an insult to the house itself. But, if I were a ghost, I'd come back to chase those money rakers out! :wink: :lol:

Well done for putting the record straight Bill. On the subject though, have you had any type of 'supernatural' encounter in any of your other dwellings that you might like to share with your readers? :shock:
Or do you think the subject is just gobbledygook :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:03 am 
The Citizen

bradford mick wrote:
Well done for putting the record straight Bill. On the subject though, have you had any type of 'supernatural' encounter in any of your other dwellings that you might like to share with your readers?
Or do you think the subject is just gobbledygook

Never had any ghostly goings on in any place I've lived, Mick. I personally believe that people are able to manifest all kinds of so-called 'supernatural' events simply through suggestion, imagination or mental imbalance. Our perceptions are heavily coloured by accident and aberration, whether from disability or illness or hypnotic coercion. However, I'm not impartial to the odd bit of magical working or ritual, the conjuration of so called 'spirits' to physical manifestation, but I don't accept the absolute belief that these are anything more than a self-imposed, wishful thinking delusion. The mind is a great trickster and reaches out beyond its physical containment to jerk the curtains of what we think of as reality. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:20 am 
Regular

Bill, dont you beleive in such things ?
I was a sceptic too until I stayed in what looked like the attic of an old house in Bakewell Derbyshire for my 50th birthday.
After returning to our rooms we tried to sleep, but both of us were kept awake all night by footsteps around either side of the bed.
We were rigid with fear.
Theres definately something in it.