www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Help needed. CD insert printing from downloads.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:26 pm 
Offline
Regular
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 9:33 pm
Posts: 837
Location: S E London
After many years of threatening to, I've finally got round to burning CD versions of the download only albums, so that my physical collection is complete across the Bill Nelson shelves. (There are many of those!)

All going great except for Six String Super Apparatus. The tray inserts print up far too big, and the booklet pages are way too small, to put in a CD case. Anyone else had this problem?

I noticed that the downloaded files are JPEG for this one whereas all the others were PDF and just needed minor trimming. Have tried to edit the files, copy the pictures and resize them elsewhere but to no avail. Is there a simple solution?

Also, is there a proper CD cover available for Hip Pocket Jukebox? Only get a very small picture from the downloaded files. (Again it's JPEG rather than PDF.)

All suggestions gratefully received.

_________________
I've got a fever and the only perscription is more COWBELL


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help needed. CD insert printing from downloads.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:52 pm 
Offline
Regular
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:02 pm
Posts: 20981
Location: Kansas City: not in Kansas.
I was thinking there was a larger image of Hip Pocket Jukebox, but the one I have is also quite small.

Not suitable for print.

.

_________________
"I'm a man of vision… and I like what I see."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help needed. CD insert printing from downloads.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:58 pm 
Offline
Bar Manager

Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:03 pm
Posts: 638
zebrapolish wrote:
After many years of threatening to, I've finally got round to burning CD versions of the download only albums, so that my physical collection is complete across the Bill Nelson shelves. (There are many of those!)

All going great except for Six String Super Apparatus. The tray inserts print up far too big, and the booklet pages are way too small, to put in a CD case. Anyone else had this problem?

I noticed that the downloaded files are JPEG for this one whereas all the others were PDF and just needed minor trimming. Have tried to edit the files, copy the pictures and resize them elsewhere but to no avail. Is there a simple solution?

Also, is there a proper CD cover available for Hip Pocket Jukebox? Only get a very small picture from the downloaded files. (Again it's JPEG rather than PDF.)

All suggestions gratefully received.


Hmmm...I shall investigate this for you tomorrow and see if there is an issue with the artwork format.

Jon.

_________________
Life is strange, always...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help needed. CD insert printing from downloads.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:20 pm 
Offline
Bar Manager

Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:03 pm
Posts: 638
Mayor of Dreamsville wrote:
zebrapolish wrote:
After many years of threatening to, I've finally got round to burning CD versions of the download only albums, so that my physical collection is complete across the Bill Nelson shelves. (There are many of those!)

All going great except for Six String Super Apparatus. The tray inserts print up far too big, and the booklet pages are way too small, to put in a CD case. Anyone else had this problem?

I noticed that the downloaded files are JPEG for this one whereas all the others were PDF and just needed minor trimming. Have tried to edit the files, copy the pictures and resize them elsewhere but to no avail. Is there a simple solution?

Also, is there a proper CD cover available for Hip Pocket Jukebox? Only get a very small picture from the downloaded files. (Again it's JPEG rather than PDF.)

All suggestions gratefully received.


Hmmm...I shall investigate this for you tomorrow and see if there is an issue with the artwork format.

Jon.


So, just to follow up on the artwork issue...
The artwork for many of the earlier albums were indeed uploaded as JPEG files rather than the PDF format which has been adopted on the later releases.
However, the JPEG artwork should print at the correct size (as will the PDF files) as long as the computer/printer settings are set to print at 'Actual size' or '100%' or however your computer settings are worded.

Regarding the 'Hip Pocket Jukebox' cover - if my memory serves me correctly (I may well be wrong here...) the CDs that were given out at the live show in Leeds had no artwork cover, just simply a printed (and autographed) CD label.
The cover art was added later for the download version, but was very low resolution.
My web-designer friend John Fisher, is currently looking at providing a higher-resolution image that we can use as the download artwork.

Hope that helps.

Jon.

_________________
Life is strange, always...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help needed. CD insert printing from downloads.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:33 pm 
Offline
Regular
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:02 pm
Posts: 20981
Location: Kansas City: not in Kansas.
Mayor of Dreamsville wrote:
Regarding the 'Hip Pocket Jukebox' cover - if my memory serves me correctly (I may well be wrong here...) the CDs that were given out at the live show in Leeds had no artwork cover, just simply a printed (and autographed) CD label.


Correct.

Mayor of Dreamsville wrote:
My web-designer friend John Fisher, is currently looking at providing a higher-resolution image that we can use as the download artwork.


With additional nudity?

.

_________________
"I'm a man of vision… and I like what I see."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help needed. CD insert printing from downloads.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:03 pm 
Offline
Regular
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 4:51 am
Posts: 1397
Location: Home On The Range.
While I haven't used it in a while, years ago I purchased CDRLabel, a shareware program for printing labels.
I used it for plenty of cd's and it worked well.
The website looks old now and I don't know how well it works on newer version of Windows.
May be worth a try though - it wasn't expensive when I bought it. It will automatically size a jpeg to the right printable size. I think there used to be an option to print a number for free before registration.

https://www.cdrlabel.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help needed. CD insert printing from downloads.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:59 pm 
Offline
Regular
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 9:33 pm
Posts: 837
Location: S E London
Mayor of Dreamsville wrote:
Mayor of Dreamsville wrote:
zebrapolish wrote:
After many years of threatening to, I've finally got round to burning CD versions of the download only albums, so that my physical collection is complete across the Bill Nelson shelves. (There are many of those!)

All going great except for Six String Super Apparatus. The tray inserts print up far too big, and the booklet pages are way too small, to put in a CD case. Anyone else had this problem?

I noticed that the downloaded files are JPEG for this one whereas all the others were PDF and just needed minor trimming. Have tried to edit the files, copy the pictures and resize them elsewhere but to no avail. Is there a simple solution?

Also, is there a proper CD cover available for Hip Pocket Jukebox? Only get a very small picture from the downloaded files. (Again it's JPEG rather than PDF.)

All suggestions gratefully received.


Hmmm...I shall investigate this for you tomorrow and see if there is an issue with the artwork format.

Jon.


So, just to follow up on the artwork issue...
The artwork for many of the earlier albums were indeed uploaded as JPEG files rather than the PDF format which has been adopted on the later releases.
However, the JPEG artwork should print at the correct size (as will the PDF files) as long as the computer/printer settings are set to print at 'Actual size' or '100%' or however your computer settings are worded.

Regarding the 'Hip Pocket Jukebox' cover - if my memory serves me correctly (I may well be wrong here...) the CDs that were given out at the live show in Leeds had no artwork cover, just simply a printed (and autographed) CD label.
The cover art was added later for the download version, but was very low resolution.
My web-designer friend John Fisher, is currently looking at providing a higher-resolution image that we can use as the download artwork.

Hope that helps.

Jon.


Many thanks for taking the time to investigate Jon. Will give it a go and report back.

_________________
I've got a fever and the only perscription is more COWBELL


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help needed. CD insert printing from downloads.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:03 pm 
Offline
Regular
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 8:55 pm
Posts: 1029
zebrapolish wrote:
After many years of threatening to, I've finally got round to burning CD versions of the download only albums, so that my physical collection is complete across the Bill Nelson shelves. (There are many of those!)

All going great except for Six String Super Apparatus. The tray inserts print up far too big, and the booklet pages are way too small, to put in a CD case. Anyone else had this problem?

I noticed that the downloaded files are JPEG for this one whereas all the others were PDF and just needed minor trimming. Have tried to edit the files, copy the pictures and resize them elsewhere but to no avail. Is there a simple solution?

Also, is there a proper CD cover available for Hip Pocket Jukebox? Only get a very small picture from the downloaded files. (Again it's JPEG rather than PDF.)

All suggestions gratefully received.


I Would recommend the undercover xp printing software to load jpegs into pre determined cd templates for tray inner and outer two page front and inner...

to print out the software resizes the original to fit the jewel case

check it out here............

https://download.cnet.com/UnderCoverXP/ ... 90541.html

unfortunately i don't know if it works on windows 7&8 ?

_________________
''Be Yourself, Everyone Else Is Taken''.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help needed. CD insert printing from downloads.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:59 pm 
Offline
Regular
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 9:33 pm
Posts: 837
Location: S E London
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Have had a Doh! moment and some fiddling about has got me sorted.

I'm using Windows 10 with all its "we know what you need better than you do" nonsense.

Doh! moment came when I realised the print was in portrait so changed it to landscape, nearly there but still too big.

So I resized as a 5X7 photo and selected fill page. Et volia! Still needs some trimming (more so than the PDFs) but I've made it work. Hurrah!!

_________________
I've got a fever and the only perscription is more COWBELL


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help needed. CD insert printing from downloads.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:22 am 
Offline
Regular
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 12:27 am
Posts: 4863
Location: a realm outside of the mundane
Here in the States, I believe that I bought a package from Staples which had the software and cd labels as well as the cd inserts. I would then insert the art into the predetermined template and would be able to "right size" it. All was well and good until my cd burner went kabloowie. Then of course Staples discontinued the products, as there should be a template on MS Word that should suffice. The great part was that the cd labels had an adhesive backing on it, so you just peeled and placed. The finished products looked quite good. They fit the jewel boxes wonderfully, even the double disc ones.

There is also the issue of European sized paper or the US version.

:arrow:

_________________
The form line starts here


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group