www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Help needed. CD insert printing from downloads.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:26 pm 
Regular

After many years of threatening to, I've finally got round to burning CD versions of the download only albums, so that my physical collection is complete across the Bill Nelson shelves. (There are many of those!)

All going great except for Six String Super Apparatus. The tray inserts print up far too big, and the booklet pages are way too small, to put in a CD case. Anyone else had this problem?

I noticed that the downloaded files are JPEG for this one whereas all the others were PDF and just needed minor trimming. Have tried to edit the files, copy the pictures and resize them elsewhere but to no avail. Is there a simple solution?

Also, is there a proper CD cover available for Hip Pocket Jukebox? Only get a very small picture from the downloaded files. (Again it's JPEG rather than PDF.)

All suggestions gratefully received.

Post subject: Re: Help needed. CD insert printing from downloads.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:52 pm 
Regular

I was thinking there was a larger image of Hip Pocket Jukebox, but the one I have is also quite small.

Not suitable for print.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:58 pm 
Bar Manager

zebrapolish wrote:
After many years of threatening to, I've finally got round to burning CD versions of the download only albums, so that my physical collection is complete across the Bill Nelson shelves. (There are many of those!)

All going great except for Six String Super Apparatus. The tray inserts print up far too big, and the booklet pages are way too small, to put in a CD case. Anyone else had this problem?

I noticed that the downloaded files are JPEG for this one whereas all the others were PDF and just needed minor trimming. Have tried to edit the files, copy the pictures and resize them elsewhere but to no avail. Is there a simple solution?

Also, is there a proper CD cover available for Hip Pocket Jukebox? Only get a very small picture from the downloaded files. (Again it's JPEG rather than PDF.)

Hmmm...I shall investigate this for you tomorrow and see if there is an issue with the artwork format.

Jon.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:20 pm 
Bar Manager

Mayor of Dreamsville wrote:
zebrapolish wrote:

Hmmm...I shall investigate this for you tomorrow and see if there is an issue with the artwork format.

Jon.

So, just to follow up on the artwork issue...
The artwork for many of the earlier albums were indeed uploaded as JPEG files rather than the PDF format which has been adopted on the later releases.
However, the JPEG artwork should print at the correct size (as will the PDF files) as long as the computer/printer settings are set to print at 'Actual size' or '100%' or however your computer settings are worded.

Regarding the 'Hip Pocket Jukebox' cover - if my memory serves me correctly (I may well be wrong here...) the CDs that were given out at the live show in Leeds had no artwork cover, just simply a printed (and autographed) CD label.
The cover art was added later for the download version, but was very low resolution.
My web-designer friend John Fisher, is currently looking at providing a higher-resolution image that we can use as the download artwork.

Hope that helps.

Jon.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:33 pm 
Regular

Regarding the 'Hip Pocket Jukebox' cover - if my memory serves me correctly (I may well be wrong here...) the CDs that were given out at the live show in Leeds had no artwork cover, just simply a printed (and autographed) CD label.

Correct.

My web-designer friend John Fisher, is currently looking at providing a higher-resolution image that we can use as the download artwork.

With additional nudity?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:03 pm 
Regular

While I haven't used it in a while, years ago I purchased CDRLabel, a shareware program for printing labels.
I used it for plenty of cd's and it worked well.
The website looks old now and I don't know how well it works on newer version of Windows.
May be worth a try though - it wasn't expensive when I bought it. It will automatically size a jpeg to the right printable size. I think there used to be an option to print a number for free before registration.

https://www.cdrlabel.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:59 pm 
Regular

zebrapolish wrote:

Jon.

So, just to follow up on the artwork issue...
The artwork for many of the earlier albums were indeed uploaded as JPEG files rather than the PDF format which has been adopted on the later releases.
However, the JPEG artwork should print at the correct size (as will the PDF files) as long as the computer/printer settings are set to print at 'Actual size' or '100%' or however your computer settings are worded.

The cover art was added later for the download version, but was very low resolution.

Hope that helps.

Jon.

Many thanks for taking the time to investigate Jon. Will give it a go and report back.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:03 pm 
Regular

zebrapolish wrote:

I Would recommend the undercover xp printing software to load jpegs into pre determined cd templates for tray inner and outer two page front and inner...

to print out the software resizes the original to fit the jewel case

check it out here............

https://download.cnet.com/UnderCoverXP/ ... 90541.html

unfortunately i don't know if it works on windows 7&8 ?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:59 pm 
Regular

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Have had a Doh! moment and some fiddling about has got me sorted.

I'm using Windows 10 with all its "we know what you need better than you do" nonsense.

Doh! moment came when I realised the print was in portrait so changed it to landscape, nearly there but still too big.

So I resized as a 5X7 photo and selected fill page. Et volia! Still needs some trimming (more so than the PDFs) but I've made it work. Hurrah!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:22 am 
Regular

Here in the States, I believe that I bought a package from Staples which had the software and cd labels as well as the cd inserts. I would then insert the art into the predetermined template and would be able to "right size" it. All was well and good until my cd burner went kabloowie. Then of course Staples discontinued the products, as there should be a template on MS Word that should suffice. The great part was that the cd labels had an adhesive backing on it, so you just peeled and placed. The finished products looked quite good. They fit the jewel boxes wonderfully, even the double disc ones.

There is also the issue of European sized paper or the US version.

:arrow: