www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: MUSIC AND BREXIT.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:04 pm 
The Citizen

Just exchanged some emails with Esoteric chief Mark Powell. The next luxury reissue will be Be Bop Deluxe's 'Futurama' album and I'm to write some sleeve notes for it. But there's a bit of pressure to get them to him as soon as possible due to an unexpected downside of Brexit.

Seems there are no factories in the UK who can handle the pressing of CDs and the boxes required for the luxury box sets, especially in the quantities needed, so these are always sourced from European pressing plants. But because of Brexit, record companies are trying to get ahead of the game by getting as much manufactured as possible before we leave the EU. (When, like everything else we buy from Europe, will become more expensive and encounter customs delays and tariffs.) This rush to beat the Brexit deadline has created a backlog of orders and the process of pressing and printing is taking much longer as a result.

There are many downsides to splitting from the EU, but perhaps this is one some people hadn't thought about. Musicians are negatively affected in several other ways too.

On a more personal level, I see that certain medications from Europe will become more expensive and, again, encounter hold ups at the border. As someone who relies on regular insulin injections, eye injections, statins and blood pressure tablets, this is an additional worry. Pharmacies are trying to stockpile medicines ahead of Brexit and this, (like the CD problem mentioned above,) is affecting normal service.

Meanwhile, Farage and Boris and the other neanderthals push for a complete no-deal break with the EU, citing that everything will be hunky-dory if we fall back on WTO rules. But experts are saying that this is total nonsense as very few countries operate on WTO rules. Most countries have deals with their close neighbours which are more profitable than WTO rules.

So, this country slides into chaos and many people will find themselves out of work, or worse off due to Brexit's negative effect. There will be no sunny wonderland at the end of all this, just a grey, isolated tiny island facing a lot of problems. :(

Post subject: Re: MUSIC AND BREXIT.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:07 pm 
Regular

I couldn't agree more, I do not see any upside to this what so ever. When countries are in free trade there is harmony and way less chance of any conflict.
From a musicians POV the ability to be able to work freely in Europe has to be a good thing, this will only hinder things with red tape.This whole thing is a train wreck !

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:14 pm 
Regular

As an Irishman I have skin in the game where brexit is concerned. I have been a labour supporter and voter my entire adult life. In this particular situation I have reserved sympathies for Theresa May. After a referendum which was presented by the leave side as what amounted to a single issue, immigration. The remain side were almost backward in presenting the true reasons for staying in the EU. I followed the campaigns as closely as I could and at no time did either side pause to consider what the outcome would actually be if the leave side was successful. Unfortunately as we are all too aware that has come to pass and the political and economic mess that neither side saw coming is well and truly upon us. I say "us" because this situation affects every man woman and child in Britain and Ireland. I understand that Britain is entitled to look after itself and try to get the best deal it possibly could. How that could have been achieved is the question when not one politician I heard seemed to have the foggiest idea of the mess Britain was heading into. My sympathies for Mrs. May are borne of the fact that she was given an almost impossible task to achieve and say what ever you will about her deal, it was the only one on the table. None of her rivals offered anything remotely workable and yet they have the temerity to criticize Mrs. May who at the very least made a decent attempt to take Britain out of the EU with the semblance of a workable deal. I would describe it as been given an elephant to push up a hill.....and just when it looks like she might actually achieve her task they only go and give her a second elephant to ensure it isn't achievable.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:46 pm 
Regular

I disagree and have no sympathy for May what so ever, Labor have been completely and utterly ball-less in the matter when it comes to standing up against it.
She knows full well that this is an extremely bad idea and continues to push it forward, she should speak the truth instead trying to force this through. It's brainless.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:55 pm 
Regular

next move wrote:
I disagree and have no sympathy for May what so ever, Labor have been completely and utterly ball-less in the matter when it comes to standing up against it.
May and Corbyn are currently playing chicken, waiting to see who blinks first.

Unfortunately, May holds the trump card, in that it's her deal or no deal. So she is only going to tweak her deal a little, anticipating that most MPs will do anything to avoid a no-deal Brexit.

Now would be the time to replace her, but Rees-Mogg and the other kids came prematurely when they challenged her last year, and can't do it again for a while.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:13 pm 
Regular

The Maybot deserves no sympathy whatsoever, tin eared, brassnecked, deluded control freak of the worst kind. She can't negotiate to save her life. Belinda no mates, out of her depth and vindictive towards anyone who stands up to her. So she's gonna have another vote on her dead dodo of a deal but the voters can't have another vote on Brexit. :roll:
She bragged how strong she was and how she could get a good deal but ended up with a dogs dinner having had to give way at every stage to make any progress whatsoever and this is the easy part, the trade deal will be a lot harder. So no tears for Mrs May, whatever happens her and her hedgefund husband will be quids in, along with the vulture capitalists of the ERG. It's other people who will be paying the price of her incompetence.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:09 pm 
Regular

sympathy for a prime minister who has spent billions of tax payers money to bribe the "living in the past" DUP to cling to power. Who has seen the gap between rich and poor increase greater than ever..Seen homelessness poverty suicide and despair increase...I cant imagine how a labour supporter can have anything other than contempt for her and her evil party..

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:48 pm 
Regular

Yep and all because the blue passport brigade don't want those nasty foreigners living in the country, it's pathetic. The gene pool could use a little mixing up if you ask me.
The ugliness of small minded nationalism not to be confused by the quest for independence, I really with the SNP would change their name. I have never liked the word national in there.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:41 am 
Regular

All good and valid points of view. I am most definitely not a tory sympathizer. My point was that in a situation where she was damned either way she had at the very least negotiated a deal, all of the detractors had nothing to offer but lots to shout about.....and shout they did.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:25 am 
Regular

Arco Volta wrote:
All good and valid points of view. I am most definitely not a tory sympathizer. My point was that in a situation where she was damned either way she had at the very least negotiated a deal, all of the detractors had nothing to offer but lots to shout about.....and shout they did.

She took a bad hand and played it abysmally. Of course it's the only deal, she's the only one who's been allowed to negotiate. When other parties called for cross party talks she gave them the skunk eye, until now, when she's in the shit and we know it's only to cover her own arse and shift some of the blame. Pathetic :roll: