www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:38 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: MUSIC AND BREXIT.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:14 pm 
Regular

I know Bill started this thread, but he did make a valid point about how Brexit was affecting him personally and the music industry in general.

Rather than continuing this thread in a purely political manner, I would suggest that either a mod moves it across to the "The World Outside The Window", or we simply carry on across there.

All in favour, say "Aye!". :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:18 am 
Regular

Lost in all this talk of Brexit is there's going to be a "luxury reissue of Futurama"!!!
Hoping a 5.1 surround is part of this. Sound Track and it's onslaught of Nelsonian guitar solos flying around my living room speakers has been a wish of mine for years. Still my favorite BBD album. Can't wait...

bbq

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:53 pm 
Regular

Interesting thread- aside from the timely populist vs globalist aspect I wonder if it wouldnt be prudent to invest in manufacturing here at home (be that the USA or the UK) for things like CD packaging, vital medications and everything else we've farmed out in the interest of low prices and convenience. This Christmas season I made a point to check the country of origin on all the gifts I bought- China, almost inescapably. Example- I bought a lovely little Spode candy dish with packaging celebrating the companys famous English heritage but when I flipped it over and checked it wasnt made in Stoke-on-Trent it was made in China. The ubiquitous Walmarts and Dollar General stores all over this country are stuffed with cheap Chinese merchandise, most of which will find its way to the landfill sooner than later. The Brexit debacle seems to reveal the UK woefully unprepared to supply itself with important (and trivial) commodities when unforeseen circumstances arise and I'm sure the USA is no better. I'm not waving the flag or going jingoistic here- but personally I'd pay a permium for stuff made in the USA by American workers to their own benefit rather than funding the Chinese military/prison labor/and the enviromental holocaust that country is enduring in order to be globally dominant in manufacturing. Here ends todays rant. Amen.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:47 pm 
Regular

Several years ago there was a music CD manufacturing plant in Blackburn called PDO (Phillips Dupont Optical). The site was later taken over by an American company, EDC (Entertainment Distribution Company). The site was closed in 2009 with the loss of over 200 UK jobs and production was transferred to Germany (Hanover). Decreasing CD sales, increasing downloads and the recession were the cause of this action according to the owners. Of course this happened while we were in the EU and I wonder why Hanover wasn't closed and Blackburn kept open? It's never been the way though - very sad.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:47 pm 
Regular

RMD wrote:
Of course this happened while we were in the EU and I wonder why Hanover wasn't closed and Blackburn kept open?
Probably down to costs, as usual. But the PDO plant in Blackburn was the one responsible for most of the CDs which "bronzed" or "rotted" - remember all the problems? - so maybe they had quality issues too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:20 pm 
Regular

Keeping the Brexit issue aside.

Bill, I'd be concerned if anyone were to push you towards one manufacturer. At the least they should have three quotes for this work and it smells odd that there is only one manufacturer available for this work. Had it been India, there wouldn't have been a problem, the manufacturer happens to be in the EU. I tend to agree with PFD that there must be options out there, if not in the UK (which surprises me) or elsewhere. Only one manufacturer in the world. Highly unlikely

The music, as ever, is beautiful and ready to go and it's a shame that your time needs to be spent on this stuff, but if you have anyone who can spend time looking into this, you might be surprised. Admin / management people can sometimes take the easy way out and not always to your benefit.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:58 pm 
Regular

peterbrookes wrote:
Only one manufacturer in the world. Highly unlikely.
And nowhere did Bill say that this was the case. :roll: He merely said that the work would be done by European pressing plants.

I have no connections with the industry, so I don't know - but would it be unusual for a label to have an on-going contract with a production company or plant, rather than go through the time and expense of putting every product out to tender?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:00 pm 
Regular

I agree with you re consistency and loyalty being very important, but any company should always have contingencies or else things like this could happen. And this seems an obvious key risk.

I’m sure it’s not only Bill’s work at risk here and it would be nieve not to have alternatives at hand. What if the existing company went bust or just stopped trading?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:44 pm 
Regular

Perfect Monster wrote:
RMD wrote:
Of course this happened while we were in the EU and I wonder why Hanover wasn't closed and Blackburn kept open?
Probably down to costs, as usual. But the PDO plant in Blackburn was the one responsible for most of the CDs which "bronzed" or "rotted" - remember all the problems? - so maybe they had quality issues too.

I used to visit them from time to time in connection with their high purity water plant, which operated pretty well. I do remember the quality issues, but what they were I don't know. Blackburn always seemed to be cold and wet :(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:48 pm 
Regular

peterbrookes wrote:
Keeping the Brexit issue aside.

Bill, I'd be concerned if anyone were to push you towards one manufacturer. At the least they should have three quotes for this work and it smells odd that there is only one manufacturer available for this work. Had it been India, there wouldn't have been a problem, the manufacturer happens to be in the EU. I tend to agree with PFD that there must be options out there, if not in the UK (which surprises me) or elsewhere. Only one manufacturer in the world. Highly unlikely

The music, as ever, is beautiful and ready to go and it's a shame that your time needs to be spent on this stuff, but if you have anyone who can spend time looking into this, you might be surprised. Admin / management people can sometimes take the easy way out and not always to your benefit.
peterbrookes wrote:
I agree with you re consistency and loyalty being very important, but any company should always have contingencies or else things like this could happen. And this seems an obvious key risk.

I’m sure it’s not only Bill’s work at risk here and it would be nieve not to have alternatives at hand. What if the existing company went bust or just stopped trading?

Sound advice which I would wholly support - you are obviously a businessman :wink: I may be wrong, but I'm not aware of any UK companies that could produce music CDs now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next