www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: MUSIC AND BREXIT.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:44 am 
Regular

Re music CD in the UK.

I’m not sure about box sets, but Fairview produce CDs.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:15 am 
Regular

I looked at some other 2018 CD reissues (not box sets) from Cherry Red / Esoteric, and they were manufactured by https://www.keyproduction.co.uk/ .

I assume that they were manufactured within the UK. I was looking at prices for CD pressing last year, and there were quite a number of UK companies offering such services.

The Sunburst Finish box set merely says "made in the EU".

Bill's CDs don't say who manufactures them.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:50 am 
The Citizen

peterbrookes wrote:
Re music CD in the UK.

I’m not sure about box sets, but Fairview produce CDs.

As far as I know they're CDRs, which are not quite the same thing.I may be wrong though.

I have my albums mastered at Fairview, but then they are sent off to be manufactured by a company called Alpha Duplication, (though I believe that this is changing with the move from SOS to Burning Shed who use a different company for manufacturing. But you are correct in saying that box sets and the more complex CD packages cannot be manufactured in the UK. All the main record companies have to get these made in Europe. Aside from those, European companies can handle large orders from multiple record companies with ease and, I think, at a better price. But with no Brexit deal, expect to see the cost of the added bureaucracy and import tariffs put the price up, which of course, ultimately gets passed on to the consumer.

On a more everyday level, take note of the amount of European goods that we consume on our supermarket shelves, Watch the cost of importing these items rise and, once again, being passed on to the consumer. If, like me, you enjoy a nice bottle of wine with your meal, you'll be paying much more for it soon, as will anyone who likes continental beers. Even the cost of clothes on the UK's high streets will be subject to price increases, particularly EU companies such as ZARA who's majority of staff are Spanish.

Meanwhile, manufacturers are moving their operations from the UK to Europe and jobs are seriously at risk. Medicines are being stockpiled but we will eventually suffer delays and shortages and increased prices due to customs and tariffs. (Over half the medicines we use come from the EU, including Insulin which diabetics such as myself rely on to keep alive.) Farmers will lose their EU subsidies, also the EU workers that they rely on coming here to pick fresh fruit and so on. The NHS, far from being better off as the Brexiteers promised us on their 'Big Red Bus' referendum campaign, will suffer from a shortage of staff from the EU and will have to deal with the aforementioned medication hold ups and increased costs. And there are other negatives which those who voted us out will suffer long before the 'fat cats.'

Of course, the hardliners still trumpet that everything will be wonderful, but it's transparently clear that they're completely in cloud cuckooland, with 'Great British Empire' delusions. But make no mistake, the numbers of leavers who put us over the line in the referendum didn't give a thought to any of this, didn't stop to think things through, their only concern was mainly immigration, 'foreigners' supposedly coming here, taking 'our' jobs and benefits, What rot. Leaving the EU won't stop immigrants arriving from other places, but it will make it difficult to get much needed workers from our EU neighbours. Let's remember that this utterly ridiculous mess has come about because of a right-wing conservative government who underestimated the the xenophobia rampant in this country, a government who called the referendum, then failed everyone, remainers and leavers alike, by making a sow's ear of the negotiations.

Let's have another referendum and settle it once and for all. The Brexiteers are running scared from this though, because they fear that opinion may now have swung the other way, and so they try to call a final vote, 'undemocratic.' But it's undemocratic for a government to push the country into the abyss without giving us a chance to say, (now that we see the situation more realistically,) whether we want to suffer the consequences pf being worse off or not.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:45 pm 
Regular

Bill Nelson wrote:
On a more everyday level, take note of the amount of European goods that we consume
We discovered yesterday that the guy who runs the cheese stall in our local market is thinking of jacking it all in after Brexit. He has been a stallholder for 25 years.

He is Dutch, and was telling us that twice a year he would have to go to the Dutch embassy in London and fill in a dozen forms about his business. Not to mention all the extra checks that he would have to go through whenever he makes a trip to France and the Netherlands to collect cheese, as he does every week or two.

So going home to NL and selling his cheese there is currently very attractive to him.

The stallholder next to him is Belgian, and is thinking of going home too. After 30 years in England. His wife is English, but would take out a Belgian passport if she can.

In addition to the headline-grabbing losses such as Nissan in Sunderland, it will be a myriad "little things" like this that will make the UK a poorer place after Brexit.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:25 pm 
Regular

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... union.html

Sounds pretty dire. A bit late but I wonder why if immigration was indeed the flashpoint and paramount issue for pro-Brexit voters, the EU didnt offer a waiver on that single issue, as the economic implications are so profound. For the greater good. etc. etc...an all or nothing/take it or leave it approach seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:13 pm 
Regular

Yeah, Let's have another referendum, then another when the losers of that one start moaning, then another and another etc! We were quick enough to put down the angry Scottish losing voters in their "leave the UK referendum" but it seems that we think that different rules should apply to us. Both sides had the opportunity to put their case and we voted on it, that should be it. Before we joined the EU or common market, as it was once called, there were plenty of scare mongering as to how it would affect us. Did we not receive medicines and other goods from Europe before? Yes, I don't recall to many queues or shortages other than those caused by our own internal industrial strikes and disputes. We need to have our own justice system were sentencing can't be affected by do-gooders and the human rights act doesn't prevent us from deporting foreign criminals. No doubt there will be some negatives but I am prepared to wait and find out.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:03 pm 
Regular

Stereotypical intolerant Brexiteer.
Big G wrote:
No doubt there will be some negatives but I am prepared to wait and find out.
You mean you haven't seen any yet?? :shock: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:14 pm 
The Citizen

Big G wrote:
Yeah, Let's have another referendum, then another when the losers of that one start moaning, then another and another etc! We were quick enough to put down the angry Scottish losing voters in their "leave the UK referendum" but it seems that we think that different rules should apply to us. Both sides had the opportunity to put their case and we voted on it, that should be it. Before we joined the EU or common market, as it was once called, there were plenty of scare mongering as to how it would affect us. Did we not receive medicines and other goods from Europe before? Yes, I don't recall to many queues or shortages other than those caused by our own internal industrial strikes and disputes. We need to have our own justice system were sentencing can't be affected by do-gooders and the human rights act doesn't prevent us from deporting foreign criminals. No doubt there will be some negatives but I am prepared to wait and find out.

Wake up and smell the coffee...you've backed a turkey. Wait and find out? Too bloody late, I'm afraid... :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:09 pm 
Regular

Your incorrect assumptions that I voted to leave the EU show that your blinkered views leave no room for reasonable debate! I simply believe in the freedom of democracy, didn't we fight wars for this?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:50 pm 
Regular

Big G wrote:
Your incorrect assumptions that I voted to leave the EU show that your blinkered views leave no room for reasonable debate! I simply believe in the freedom of democracy, didn't we fight wars for this?
Maybe you should have a look at what you wrote, then, and try to imagine how others would see it. You were ticking all the "angry old white man" boxes, and that was before you brought up the war! I suppose you'll tell me that you're really a 20 year old black person of fluid gender :lol:

It's a funny type of democracy when a question can only be asked once, and can't be asked again when better information is available. Not much point in having regular elections then - "we voted on it, that should be it".

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next