www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 'MODERN MUSIC SUITE' AND THAT SPOKEN WORD INTO...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:42 pm 
The Citizen

Just had a question to me me on Facebook about the intro dialogue on Be Bop Deluxe's 'Modern Music Suite.' Many of you here will already know what my motivations were back then, but here's my reply to the FB enquirer, just for your interest... :wink:

"I chose to use those lines, which we assembled on pieces of tape spliced together to make the continuous stream of dialogue that opens up the 'Modern Music' suite. I'd always loved Hancock, having listend to BBC radio's 'Hancock's Half Hour' programme every Sunday when I was a child in the 1950s. When John Leckie and I put the opening sequence of that track together, we had to use physical tape recordings and traditional editing tape techniques as there was no such thing as digital samplers available in the '70s. Now of course it's much easier with digital technology, but back in the day, it took real skill and ingenuity to create what you hear at the start of the 'Modern Music Suite.'"

Post subject: Re: 'MODERN MUSIC SUITE' AND THAT SPOKEN WORD INTO...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:23 am 
Regular

I remember when you received your Doctorate of Arts Degree from Winchester University last year, you wrote in the 20 October journal entry that, on the train journey back up:

The hours ticked by, relieved temporarily by my iPod which played back '40s swing music and Tony Hancock radio sketches for me.

Nice way to pass the time as the world flickers by ....

Perfect Monster pointed out something I'd wondered about before, namely the [Hancock] line "Stone me, what a life!"

I can remember thinking before, when trying to decipher what hidden messages might be in there that I might possibly have heard that controversial word but, no, surely it wasn't and was rather, in fact, something else that simply sounded like "stone" or rhymed with it ... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:56 pm 
Regular

…...and after decades I realised that the last voice before the guitar intro was that of Sid James....heard the sound clip in context on a Radio 4 Extra episode of Hancock a good few years back now!

" and there always has been and there's nothing we can do about it " …...can't remember the episode, but the quote was connected to the 'status quo' in some context or another....

….the one that I never fully have clarity on after all this time is the 'three Olympic gold medals' soundbite - I reckon it's lifted from some commentary on that year's Montreal Olympics.....who was the named winner - can never quite get the name, and why that as an inclusion? Bit of contemporary and contextual fun/reference has always been my take on it.....'Dolly Vera' it sounds like....and I swear The Major mentions the same sportsperson to Basil in an episode of Fawlty Towers.....

.....any takers for a bit of clarification? :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:19 pm 
Regular

It was Lasse Viren. He was a famous long distance runner from Finland. He won gold in the 5k and 10k at Munich in 1972 and the same again at Montreal in 1976. The sample commentary must have been lifted from the fourth of those races hence he had 3 golds already.

Any reference to "Dolly Vera" would be Basil D'Oliveira who was a cricket player of Indian descent but could qualify to play for England who the South African apartheid government would not allow to tour with the England party because of his race. This eventually led to the South African exclusion from international sport

I hope that helps. Not everyday we have a sports quiz on billnelson.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:21 pm 
Regular

…..great info Peter - thanks!!

Lasse Viren - Modern Music

Dolly Vera - Fawlty Towers - when The Major is talking to Basil about cricket....

.....that's sorted that out after 40 odd years.... :wink:

.....now, who was sports personality of the year in '72..... :wink: :wink: :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:19 pm 
Regular

Mark Spitz? :?

:arrow:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:36 pm 
The Citizen

See? Even 40 0dd years ago, I was encoding little clues and paper trails for you to follow. Neat, eh? :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:43 am 
Regular

But who is the 'Lasse Viren' commentator? I've always thought it sounded like Alan Parry. Can anyone confirm?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:58 pm 
Regular

Ed wrote:
But who is the 'Lasse Viren' commentator? I've always thought it sounded like Alan Parry. Can anyone confirm?

David Coleman - he of the Coleman Balls ...

('Shome mishtake, shurely ? Ed)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:28 pm 
Regular

Bill Nelson wrote:
See? Even 40 0dd years ago, I was encoding little clues and paper trails for you to follow. Neat, eh? :D

Very neat! God bless you Bill.