Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Image sizes within posts.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:49 pm 
Bar Manager

I've noticed that some people include very large images in their Forum
posts.
These often break the page layout and make it difficult to scroll.
To keep the site readable, please would you pre-size your images so
they are no wider than 500 pixels.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

Jon.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:44 am 
Regular

And there's me thinking it was all about technique :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:39 pm 
Regular

THANK YOU, THANK YOU Phil 'Wadcorp'!! 8)

I have a large print of 'The Lady of Shalott' in my lounge, I remembered it was on the artmagick website - voila!!!!!!!!!!!!! Original or what, ahem?!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:06 am 
Regular

Location: Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire, West of The Rhubarb Triangle
Excuse me for being a bit 'thick', but how do I add a picture or image along with my text in this forum ?. I know some people have been putting massive images on, which has screwed up the page set-up, so I approve of what you've requested. But I'd only want to put a small photo on. I'd appreciate someone's help, (in simple language please).

Things may come and go, but the 'art school' dance goes on forever . . .

http://www.soundclick.com/archiveavenue

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:13 am 
Regular

There's a thread over in the "World" forum that went through a few options for hosting your image and how to get them to show in your posts, if you can look through the three pages and weed out the chaff you should get the gist of it!
http://www.billnelsonmusic.com/forum/vi ... hp?t=12052

Post subject: Re: Image sizes within posts.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:35 am 
Regular

Have tried to access the link above a few times re how to post an image on the forum, but persistently times out. I had my Eggle Berlin Pro signed by Bill at Nelsonica and would like to make a posting post about that guitar complete with photo of signed guitar, but have not got a scuby about how to (a) downsize photo to make it acceptabel for posting on her nr (b) have a clue about how to include a photo within a posting.
Any help very gratefully received
Thanks in Advance
Dave

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:45 pm 
Regular

Howden End wrote:
Have tried to access the link above a few times re how to post an image on the forum, but persistently times out. I had my Eggle Berlin Pro signed by Bill at Nelsonica and would like to make a posting post about that guitar complete with photo of signed guitar, but have not got a scuby about how to (a) downsize photo to make it acceptabel for posting on her nr (b) have a clue about how to include a photo within a posting.
Any help very gratefully received
Thanks in Advance
Dave
Dave, you resize the photo by using whatever photo or graphics editing software is available to you - eg Photoshop, Gimp or whatever was bundled with your machine.

Next you upload it to a publicly available server - your own website if you have one, or something like Flickr.

Then you get the URL of the photo that you have uploaded, and include it in the message you send here, surrounded by the image tags.

There's a picture below which I know you'll just love :lol: :twisted:

Hit the quote button and you'll see the "source code" version of this message, including the URL of the picture surrounded by the image tags.

Last edited by Mr Magnetism Himself on Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:41 pm 
Regular

General instructions for posting a picture. The fully illustrated version.

But first, some basic rules.

01 Make sure that the picture you want to post is 500 pixels or less in width. This is the maximum width allowed on Dreamsville.

Why? Because when pictures are too wide they distort the entire page causing the need to scroll sideways to see the entire pic. And with that, so goes the text as well. Everything becomes wider. When this happens, Dreamsville administrators will either re-size the picture or remove it altogether. So, vertical scrolling good. Horizontal scrolling, bad.

02 Pictures directly from you camera are NOT recommended. Most of today's cameras are capable of producing some very large photos indeed. The MegaPixel rating on a camera means the amount of minute detail per pixel which a picture file can accommodate. So the larger the MP rating, the bigger photos it can produce. But pictures posted on the web do not need or warrant all that additional information.

Why? Because large photos make for large file sizes. And large sizes means more used up space on the SOS servers which can lead to extremely slow loading times. And this, over time, effects the entire site's capacity to deal with fast page-loading times. Be nice, keep your picture files small.
~~~~

More preparation.

You will need to chose a web site which 'hosts' picture or graphics files. This is important because it will give your picture a home. Some sites will keep your pictures for as long as you are registered, others 'lose' them over time to make room on their existing servers. It is not recommended that you link to a picture from it's original source such as a blog or whatnot.

Why? Because if they change their page, the link becomes useless and your picture will never appear again. Also because this is known as 'hot linking' an is almost always a big no-no as it usually violates copyright and other laws of the ownership of the picture. It's easier just to steal the picture if you are able to download it. But remember, you didn't hear that last bit here.

Personally, I always use http://www.tinypic.com as it is fast and is perfect for one-off postings. And you do not have to register. And that is very important to me. If you use any other service then you are on your own from here on.

Why? Because I said so.
~~~~~

Posting your pictures.

Go to http://www.tinypic.com. This screen will appear.

Click on 'Choose File'.

This will open a screen (below) which will allow you to find a picture
on your computer.
~~~~~

Once you've navigated to the picture you want to post, highlight it, choose it and
(refer to the first picture) click on 'UPLOAD NOW!'
(I've no idea why they seem so excited).

Up pops a 'CAPTCHA' screen (below).
~~~~~

It will show you some LSD inspired lettering which it wants you to
enter in the space below
. It may seem stupid, but you have to do it
or it will ignore you otherwise.

If you cannot read it (don't laugh, it can sometimes look ridiculous),
click on the top of the three red buttons (the circular arrows) and it
will provide you with another silly option, hopefully easier to read.

Why? Because it wants to make sure you are not a bot. Seriously.
~~~~~

Final step. If everything went well, you should see similar to above. If not, try the
process again by clicking on 'UPLOAD MORE'.

On the left, you will see four boxes with codes in them, highlighted in cream.
Choose the second option, 'IMG Code for Forums And Message Boards'.

Copy this information. This is the link to your picture which you will then
need to paste into your posting on Dreamsville. Make sure ALL of the code
is copied. Otherwise your picture will not appear. And once you close the
tiny pic page containing your code, it will be lost forever.

Hope this helps. And good luck

Last edited by astrophobia on Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:03 pm 
Regular

astrophobia wrote:
02. There are generally only 2 file types currently allowed for posting on the internet without other language codes accompanying them. Picture files ending in .jpg, .jpeg (not case sensitive) or .gif are allowed. Anything else will not work so don't even bother.
That's not quite correct. The ICT crest that I posted above is a png. I'm sure most modern browsers will support that nowadays. And tifs as well.

Though, as you say, you can't go wrong with jpgs and gifs.

Dave, make sure your photo is a jpg.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:26 pm 
Regular

Not quite correct? How about completely wrong, then? I had said generally for two reasons, one, because I fear that many are still running IE5 or somesuch (old habits, indifference) and two, it used to be part of the requirements of various hosts. But honestly, I hadn't even noticed that most file types are now accepted as I always stick to dot jpegs and dot gifs because they generally make smaller files. So no problem, I've removed that part of the post. Let me know if there are any other bits that aren't correct or well advised. Don't want to make things worse for those who are already frustrated by the whole experience.

Mr Magnetism Himself wrote:
Hit the quote button and you'll see the "source code" version of this message, including the URL of the picture surrounded by the image tags.
I remember the first time I tried explaining how to post pictures here to someone. I began by writing out all the HTML code but soon realised that after submitting the code, it naturally 'became' the code once formatted, making that gesture somewhat futile. So the next time I attempted to explain, I decided the best thing to do was to include step-by-step pictures, which I think may be the most helpful to anyone with limited computer skills. But it has never occurred to me to tell anyone to simply look at the source code. :shock: FFS!

I have no idea where I posted it originally and wasn't bothered to search for it. But when I was finally ready to submit, I saw that you had already posted the answer. But after spending twenty minutes compiling this monstrosity, I said to myself, just post it anyway. :wink: