www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:33 pm 
Offline
Bar Manager

Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:03 pm
Posts: 640
Sid Lewis wrote:
I do not and have never approved of censorship.

Sticks and stones may break my bones.......

Who is the guilty party the offender or the offended?



Sid Lewis


This is not a question of censoring the subject matter as much as requesting some thought in the way that a point is expressed.

Picking on individuals to hurl abuse at, just because they have a different opinion to somebody else, is not going to be tolerated because it just leads to tedious, inane slanging matches which is NOT what this forum is about.

Regarding the inclusion of URLs, I think everyone would agree that they are a great way of exploring areas of the web that you would perhaps never find without the hint. But long URLs do play havoc with the layout of the board.

The presentation also looks nicer don't you think?
I could include a link like ORPHEUS IN ULTRALAND or instead I could put http://www.billnelson.com/html/park/nelsonica.php
Which do you think looks the nicest?

But don't worry, nobody will get a telling-off for posting long links, but if the mood takes me, I might just convert it to a shorterned version...

Jon.

8)

_________________
Life is strange, always...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:04 pm 
Offline
Regular
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:13 pm
Posts: 816
Location: This Very Moment
John Izzard wrote:
Techichi wrote:
But I am missing something . If that's not the problem , and this is about the length of a link, even if it's a functioning, clickable one, then I really am missing something , and think that's a silly thing to get worked up about , by any stretch . Makes a thread hard to read ?.... come on !. :roll:


Techichi,

A problem occurs when contributors paste in long URLs, which obviously cannot line wrap. This completely throws out the formatting and results in readers having to use the direction keys to continually pan left and right at end of each line (not just the URL). In cases of long postings or threads, this is IMO more hassle than its worth. I have previously given up on some potentially interesting threads for this very reason.

I simply considered this thread to be an appropriate place to make a "polite request"...nothing more than that.

The remedies, as suggested above by Jon and Peter are helpful, especially if heeded.



Well, yeah, if someone puts up a link that doesn't work, they should
tied up and forced to listen to Rhumbas for a day , so (to avoid such a fate?) I check mine before leaving . Cheerios and milk , then !!! :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:18 am 
Offline
Regular
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 9:47 am
Posts: 905
Location: London
I accept what you say Jon and fully understand the motives behind your decision.

However, when these "issues" are decided upon it should be remembered internet forums by definition will provoke an array of emotional responses from all and sundry. Does that mean the forum has to governed according to the "weakest" among us or would it not be better to encourage understanding on both parts?

Some people will always be aggressive/nasty/provocative et al but that should not, in my view, render them voiceless.

A forum is surely, by nature, open for all to have their say no matter how they express themselves?

In my experience, supressing the "undesirable elements" of our society merely encourages it by, if nothing else, notoriety.



Sid Lewis


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:26 pm 
Offline
Regular

Joined: Sun May 08, 2005 1:19 pm
Posts: 68
Location: Suffolk, England
I for one agree with all that Jon has said. Sid there has GOT to be some moderation/censorship if not just to preserve the bounds of decency and good taste then certainly to because this is the OFFICIAL Bill Nelson website forum. What is written and discussed here will be regarded by the casual/accidental visitor as a reflection on the artist themselves.

Bill has graciously provided this site for all our enjoyment at his own expense and I think we owe it to him to behave in a fitting manner, therefore moderation/censorship is essential when the content of threads is or becomes offensive.

One thing that folk do tend to forget when they post to sites such as this is that all who read whats going on here are not all adult. Minors have access here as well, would you want your kids exposed to offensive material.

Well thats my opinion anyway.

Regards

Mick


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:57 pm 
Offline
Regular

Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:55 pm
Posts: 38
In my opinion there should be no censorship whatsoever ... and what is all this about decency and taste, I thought this was a rock n roll site not watch with mother .... and what is tedious about passion and anger and strongly held opinions strongly spoken. This is debate and culture and art, & the death of all those things is some sad bourgeois idea of decency .... My thoughts on this are - Just don't bother ; what harm does a 'tedious' argument do? No harm. What harm does censorship do? lots of harm. What harm did the word FUCK ever do? no harm; what harm did the word TASTE do, Plenty of harm ... Anyway, that is just my passionately held opinion.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:37 pm 
Offline
Regular

Joined: Sun May 08, 2005 1:19 pm
Posts: 68
Location: Suffolk, England
Omphalos wrote:
In my opinion there should be no censorship whatsoever ... and what is all this about decency and taste, I thought this was a rock n roll site not watch with mother .... and what is tedious about passion and anger and strongly held opinions strongly spoken. This is debate and culture and art, & the death of all those things is some sad bourgeois idea of decency .... My thoughts on this are - Just don't bother ; what harm does a 'tedious' argument do? No harm. What harm does censorship do? lots of harm. What harm did the word FUCK ever do? no harm; what harm did the word TASTE do, Plenty of harm ... Anyway, that is just my passionately held opinion.


I wondered when the rock'n' roll arguement was going to rear its hideous head. Here we go with the "Art for arts sake" tosh again!
You ask what harm does a tedious arguement do? answer, plenty to a decent site when those arguements degenerate into quagmire of abuse.
The use of foul language? So whats the problem with constructive critism and decent debate without resorting to the use foul language, it just shows poor grasp of vocabulary.

I would suggest you read more of the threads on this forum where you you will find plenty of witty thought provoking topics from folk who do not need to resort to the kind of langauge in question. Indeed as Jon has said very little moderation has been required so far anyway. Read some of Bills diary entries where he describes his life and feelings without resorting to base language.

I dont know where you ever got the notion that taste and decency are harmfull, it always seems to me those who cant say what they want or dont get their own way always spit out their dummy's and lash out in this way.

You are perfectly entitled to your passionately held views and opinions all thats being asked is that you apply a common sense when writing about them. The owners and managers of this site are reserving the right to remove offensive or inflamatory posts and I for one support them in this effort.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:17 am 
Offline
Regular

Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:55 pm
Posts: 38
Yes but what harm do they do ... these arguments ... be specific please ... you used the word 'tosh' against my viewpoint ... what is so articulate about that? With all due respect, your argument comes across to me as so much huff and puff with no substance ... in my opinion, you completely fail to articulate what actual harm is done when postings become long, tedious or even abusive .... as for the 'rock n roll' statement, I stand by it ... a music forum of this nature needs to have a wide cultural tolerence to function well ... Personally I love the abuse and foul language as much as any other aspect of these message boards ... language along with music and art are conduits through which the hot subterranean magma of human conciousness reaches the surface .... if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:04 am 
Offline
Bar Manager

Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:03 pm
Posts: 640
Omphalos wrote:
Yes but what harm do they do ... these arguments ... be specific please ... you used the word 'tosh' against my viewpoint ... what is so articulate about that? With all due respect, your argument comes across to me as so much huff and puff with no substance ... in my opinion, you completely fail to articulate what actual harm is done when postings become long, tedious or even abusive .... as for the 'rock n roll' statement, I stand by it ... a music forum of this nature needs to have a wide cultural tolerence to function well ... Personally I love the abuse and foul language as much as any other aspect of these message boards ... language along with music and art are conduits through which the hot subterranean magma of human conciousness reaches the surface .... if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen


If you read my original post on this thread, you will see that I stated that posts would be deleted if they were offensive or abusive to other members on this forum. The point is not negotiable, whether you like it or not, that is how it is going to be.

We do not moderate foul language, but I don't think anybody does themselves any favours in the intelligence stakes, when they can't string a sentence together without resorting to playground language.
This 'rock n roll' forum you describe is owned by Bill Nelson not Ozzy Osbourne. The vast majority of members on this forum are able to give intelligent debate without resorting to foul language. If you want to encourage people to join in your topics of discussion, then put your point across articulately and you might just get a better response.

"If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen"...if you want to provoke a response by aggressive language, try another forum.

Jon.

8)

_________________
Life is strange, always...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:40 pm 
Offline
Regular

Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:55 pm
Posts: 38
I HAVE put my points over articulately ... I HAVEN'T ever resorted to abuse of anyone on here ... Anyway I have made my point and I still don't believe in moderation ... but of COURSE it is non negotiable you have the last decision ( who moderates your postings?) ... I thought this was just a debate .... as for intellegence and swear words .... it's just a non starter as an argument so I won't go there.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:28 pm 
Offline
Bar Manager

Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:03 pm
Posts: 640
Omphalos wrote:
I HAVE put my points over articulately ... I HAVEN'T ever resorted to abuse of anyone on here ... Anyway I have made my point and I still don't believe in moderation ... but of COURSE it is non negotiable you have the last decision ( who moderates your postings?) ... I thought this was just a debate .... as for intellegence and swear words .... it's just a non starter as an argument so I won't go there.


You certainly have put your opinions across articulately, this is exactly what we're trying to promote on this discussion board.
I was merely explaining my take on abusive language that you inferred you were so keen to use, it's great to see that you don't ACTUALLY have to resort to that type of posting and goes to prove that a good debate can exist without foul language.
As for who moderates me, well there are other moderators who can just as easily scrub my postings from this board.

Jon.

8)

_________________
Life is strange, always...


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group