www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Releases..
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:05 pm 
Regular

Quote:
Nick, this is indeed news to me. I know one of the fella's that engineered their last album and he said that Ms Harry told him that she was seriously fearing that she would not be 'allowed' to make any more albums. I suspect she was basing this on the supposition that once the ladies of rock reach a certain age that their appeal diminish greatly

Try telling that to Tina Turner fans !

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:10 pm 
Regular

Quote:
Jim Lea - Therapy

The Slade Bassist ? !

Apparently so :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:39 pm 
Regular

James Ellis wrote:
Quote:
Jim Lea - Therapy
The Slade Bassist ? !

Apparently so :)
Co-wrote most of their hits. Noddy Holder wrote the melodies, Jim Lea did the lyrics.

Including "Merry Christmas Everybody", which is estimated to generate £500,000 in royalties every year. I hope that they still get their fair share of that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:32 am 
Regular

ne plus ultra wrote:
Nick, this is indeed news to me. I know one of the fella's that engineered their last album and he said that Ms Harry told him that she was seriously fearing that she would not be 'allowed' to make any more albums. I suspect she was basing this on the supposition that once the ladies of rock reach a certain age that their appeal diminish greatly. He did admit her saying as much. Fortunately that is not the case. Labels may feel that way but until fans confirm that (for whatever reason) we need to kill such nonsense and support all of a certain age who wish to carry on doing what they do without fear or prejudice. And it that sounds a bit grand then at least until someone else comes along and does it better. And honestly, if most of the current lot is anything to go by, that may never happen.

Well Julien, I think that's just about nail on the head, if someone still has something valid to say and express, no matter what their age, this should never be stifled, nor indeed suppressed..no need to expand, we all know the score..and your post shows that fear and uncertainty does indeed haunt those who once occupied lofty heights in the business..however, no one is immune or out of reach from the corporate meat cleaver, no matter what success and financial rewards their 'glory days' may have brought...it's nice to see the older guard releasing new material, with their wealth of knowledge and experience an intrinsic part of the whole process and result, something that can't be replaced, but this doesn't come with guarantees either :wink: ...kirk's still recording, releasing and touring, as you know, and he's now hit 60...good on 'em I say!...I'll be buying Blondies new one, hope it's a good un.. 8) :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:09 am 
Regular

Perfect Monster wrote:
Co-wrote most of their hits. Noddy Holder wrote the melodies, Jim Lea did the lyrics. Including "Merry Christmas Everybody", which is estimated to generate £500,000 in royalties every year.

There are various different amounts bandied about re. Slade royalties and what 'Merry Christmas Everybody' nets them each year...I think more accurately Noddy gets anywhere up to £1,000,000 and Jimmy gets up to £500,000.

Perfect Monster wrote:
I hope that they still get their fair share of that.

Well, Noddy Holder and Jimmy Lea get around about that, while Dave Hill and Don Powell get around very little to zilch, nada, nothing...so fair shares probably don't come into the equation..little wonder there is a deep seated animosity that runs between these former great friends and band members now..how sad.. :(

BTW, Holder and Lea co-wrote 'Merry Christmas Everybody', they both wrote the melodies and Noddy wrote the lyrics.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:21 am 
Regular

I suppose if we're being pedantic, it's "Merry Xmas Everybody" .. :wink: :lol:

I've still got the original 7inch single I bought in Dec. 1973.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:13 pm 
Regular

Quote:
There are various different amounts bandied about re. Slade royalties and what 'Merry Christmas Everybody' nets them each year...I think more accurately Noddy gets anywhere up to £1,000,000 and Jimmy gets up to £500,000.

Not a bad pension pot ! & too think my teachers at school laughed away at Slade, "they're rubbish & will never last", whose laughing now :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:40 am 
Regular

I keep forgetting to post this:

WIRE - Silver/Lead
New 10-track LP (Out on 31 March)

Short Elevated Period: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfiurED57iw
Currently the only track I could find.

*Personally think it to be better than Nocturnal Koreans*.

From Pink Flag:

"DESCRIPTION
    WIRE - SILVER/ LEAD

The new Wire album Silver/Lead is being released in 3 physical formats, CD, Vinyl and Special Edition - a hard backed 80 page case bound book, with text by Graham Duff, extended credits, lyrics and lots of colour photos as well as the CD. This format will be only produced in limited quantities but unlike The Change Becomes Us Special Edition with which it shares a format, it will be also available in selected independent record shops.

Here's the Press Release.

Silver/Lead is the 15th studio album from musical pioneers Wire. It arrives on the 40th anniversary of their debut performance. Yet it's about as far from nostalgia as you could get. This is the sound of a uniquely addictive 21st century psychedelic post-punk.

Colin Newman and Matt Simms' guitar work is alternately jagged and luminous, while bassist Graham Lewis's ear-catching lyrics are vivid yet oblique. Meanwhile, drummer Robert Grey provides a virtual masterclass in percussive minimalism. But it's how the various instruments mesh together that really counts. And Newman's production creates a sonic space in which even the smallest gesture is accorded some recognition.

Highlights include the optimistic dazzle of 'Diamonds In Cups', with its almost T. Rex-style buzz and chug, and the moody swing of 'This Time'. Elsewhere on the musical spectrum, there's the menacing widescreen grandeur of 'Playing Harp for the Fishes' and breakneck-paced guitar pop of 'Short Elevated Period'.

Wire are one of the world's most ground-breaking bands, their influence acknowledged by bands as diverse as Blur, Sonic Youth, R.E.M. and Savages. But they have never been interested in exploiting past glories. For Wire, there is only ever one possible direction: forwards. So it's perhaps not surprising that over recent years, they've played strings of sold-out shows, achieved career-best record sales, and been cited as a strong influence by yet another generation of bands.

Wire's last three albums garnered nothing but rave reviews. From 2013's strangely beautiful Change Becomes Us ("It's fantastic." - Pitchfork) to the crackling motorik of 2015's Wire ("It's all really well turned, potent and crisp." - The Guardian), and last year's punchy mini-album Nocturnal Koreans ("It's a cracker and sounds defiantly modern." - The Quietus). Consequently, although it may be being released on the band's 40th anniversary, Silver/Lead is an album which has nothing to do with the past and everything to do with the future.

TRACKLISTING - CD ALBUM (PF24SE)

- Playing Harp For The Fishes
    - Short Elevated Period
    - Diamonds In Cups
    - Forever & A Day
    - An Alibi
    - Sonic Lens
    - This Time
    - Brio
    - Sleep On The Wing
    - Silver / Lead"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:36 pm 
Regular

Queen to release 5CD 40th anniversary version set of News Of The World album. The LP is the same as the original but is touted as the 'pure analogue release'. The CDs are as follows:

CD1: Original album mastered by Bob Ludwig in 2011.
CD2: Raw Sessions - Demo and alternate takes.
CD3: Bonus tracks - Various live, single edits, instrumental, BBC recorded versions.
CD4: I've already forgotten. :oops:
DVD: Queen: The American Dream.

PS Does anybody still buy Queen albums nowadays?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:51 pm 
Regular

U2 - You're The Best Thing About Me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=RDPb ... Fjcd_d2PhY

Lead track from their new album. Question is, is he being honest with his wife or is he getting all Jesus-y again? More of a 70s radio feel than normal. Meh.

PS Does anybody still buy U2 records anymore?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next