www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Diddya know?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:34 am 
Regular

Diddya know that three guys who've made music that's often stuck in my head happen to be London Cypriots: Mick Karn (Andonis Michaelides), Cat Stevens (Steven Demetre Georgiou, a.k.a. Yusuf Islam) and George Michael (Georgios Kyriacos Panayiotou)?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:05 am 
Regular

Location: Dreamsville Bureau of Realistic Attributions and Technosurvivalism
alec wrote:
MG wrote:
Grundy

"Solomon Grundy" is an English nursery rhyme. It has a Roud Folk Song Index number of 19299

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solomon_Grundy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:20 pm 
Regular

Location: Dreamsville Bureau of Realistic Attributions and Technosurvivalism
The first person to say "shit" on British TV was John Cleese of the Monty Python comedy troupe, in the late 1960s, according to his own eulogy for Graham Chapman. However, this is not independently verified. The phrase "thick as pigshit" is used in the 1969 BBC play The Big Flame. The word shit also appears in the 1966 British film Cul-de-sac, which might pre-date John Cleese's use.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:15 am 
Regular

New research from the Stanford University School of Medicine says caffeine may counter age-related inflammation:

https://t.co/cqdRrouSX2

Finally something people like may actually be beneficial. Who knew?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:26 am 
Regular

According to Democracy Index, almost half of all the world's countries are considered a democracy of some sort. The number of 'full democracies' in 2015 totalled 20. In 2016, that number has been reduced by one as the United States has been downgraded to a 'flawed' democracy due to the continued erosion of trust in government and elected officials there.

http://www.eiu.com/public/topical_repor ... yIndex2016

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:22 am 
Regular

France, more than any other country, has worked to add more places to be protected by the Worldwide Heritage.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:08 am 
Regular

The first solo artist to sell one million singles in the UK was also the first to sell one million albums in the US?

In 1956, his album Calypso introduced the world to sound of the Caribbean and sold over one million copies in the US and the UK in it's first year of release. The single alone, The Banana Boat Song, sold over one million copies in the UK. In his home country, the album was number one on the Billboard charts for 31 weeks, it spent 51 weeks in the Top Ten, and remained on the US Billboard charts for a total of 99 weeks. The artist's name is Harry Belafonte.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:39 pm 
Regular

Really? I thought bings White xmas and Paul Ankas Diana were before Harry B?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:59 pm 
Regular

A quick search tells me that Paul Anka's "Diana" was recorded and released in 1957.

Bing's "White Christmas" dates back to the early 1940s, although the most famous version is apparently a 1947 re-recording. The problem is that this pre-dates accurate sales recording and record charts in the UK. It is now reckoned to have sold around 50 million worldwide, but I didn't see any UK sales figures.

Maybe Belafonte is the first person to have verified sales of a million in the UK?

I always preferred Stan Freberg's version, anyway :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:30 am 
Regular

I'd say Perfect Monster has given a fair and likely accurate response.
~~~~~
I've re-checked and this is what I've found; the quote: "Calypso is the first LP album to sell over one million copies. Several singles, including Glenn Miller's "Chattanooga Choo-Choo," Bing Crosby's "White Christmas," and Tennessee Ernie Ford's "Sixteen Tons" had surpassed 1 million copies previously."

The link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calypso_(album)
~~~~
Now here's where it seems to get a bit odd. I am not finding Dayo-Dayo 'The Banana Boat Song' as the first single in the UK to sell a million copies of a single the UK. Instead I have found a song released by Belafonte called 'Mary's Boy Child which is the first single for a solo artist to to sell one million singles in the UK (See Perfect Monster's explanation in his comments directly above mine). But it is not from the album Calypso but another album called An Evening With Belafonte, also released in 1956. Although the full version of the song is on said album, the single version was edited from the album track. Also it is classified as a Christmas song. Here's a link describing yet more unusual circumstances surrounding the song itself (worth a read. It's only a paragraph): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary%27s_ ... ld#History
~~~~~
I originally got the information from viewing a documentary on Belafonte released in 2012 called Sing Your Song. In it there is a clip from the US chat show The Tonight Show with Jack Parr. The clip shows Parr handing Belafonte a selection of framed gold records. Whilst handing them out, Parr says what each one was for. When he handed the framed single, he said and this is for the first single by a single artists to sell a million copies in Great Britain (am paraphrasing). So I apologise for assuming the single was Dayo. My mistake. :oops:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next