www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 465 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 47  Next
 Post subject: Comic Book Corner
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:37 am 
Regular

Location: Dreamsville Bureau of Realistic Attributions and Technosurvivalism
Do you love comics?

Do you love graphic novels?

Do you love cartoons?

Feel free to indulge your whimsy here.......... and discuss. :)

Post subject: Re: Comic Book Corner
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:39 am 
Regular

Strange Tales #135 (Aug. 1965), the debut of S.H.I.E.L.D. Cover art by Jack Kirby and Frank Giacoia.

Quote:
Publication history

S.H.I.E.L.D.'s introduction in the Strange Tales feature "Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D." occurred during a trend for action series about secret international intelligence agencies with catchy acronyms, such as television's The Man from U.N.C.L.E., which Stan Lee stated in a 2014 interview, was the basis for him to create the organization. Colonel Fury (initially the lead character of Marvel Comics' World War II series Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos) was reimagined as a slightly older character with an eyepatch (which he lacked in his wartime adventures) and appointed head of the organization. Some characters from the Sgt. Fury series reappeared as agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., most notably Timothy "Dum-Dum" Dugan, Fury's bowler hat–wearing aide-de-camp.

Its most persistent enemy is Hydra, a criminal organization founded (after some retcon) by Baron Wolfgang von Strucker.

S.H.I.E.L.D. was presented as an extant, full-blown entity in its first appearance, with Tony Stark in charge of the Special Weaponry section and Fury seeing "some of the most famous joes from every nation" (then "half the leaders of the free world" a page later) at a meeting of the Supreme International Council. Much was revealed over the years to fill in its labyrinthine organizational history. Stan Lee wrote each story, abetted by artist Kirby's co-plotting or full plotting, through Strange Tales #152 (Jan. 1967), except for two issues, one scripted by Kirby himself (#148) and one by Dennis O'Neil (#149). Following an issue scripted by Roy Thomas (#153), and one co-written by Thomas and new series artist Jim Steranko, came the sole-writer debut of soon-to-become industry legend Steranko—who had begun on the feature as a penciller-inker of Kirby layouts in #151 (Dec. 1966), taken over the every-other-issue "Nick Fury" cover art with #153 two months later, and full writing with #155 (April 1967).

Steranko quickly established the feature as one of comics history's most groundbreaking, innovative and acclaimed. The 12-page feature ran through Strange Tales #168 (sharing that "split book" with the occult feature "Doctor Strange" each issue), after which it was spun off onto its own series of the same title, running 15 issues (June 1968–Nov. 1969), followed by three all-reprint issues beginning a year later (Nov. 1970–March 1971). Steranko wrote and drew issues #1–3 and #5, and drew the covers of #1–7.

New S.H.I.E.L.D. stories would not appear for nearly two decades after the first solo title. A six-issue miniseries, Nick Fury vs. S.H.I.E.L.D. (June–Nov. 1988) was followed by Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. (vol. 2). This second series lasted 47 issues (Sept. 1989–May 1993); its pivotal story arc was "the Deltite Affair", in which many S.H.I.E.L.D. agents were replaced with Life Model Decoy androids in a takeover attempt.

A year after that series ended, the one-shot Fury (May 1994) retconned the events of those previous two series, recasting them as a series of staged events designed to distract Fury from the resurrection plans of Hydra head von Strucker. The following year, writer Howard Chaykin and penciler Corky Lehmkuhl produced the four-issue miniseries Fury of S.H.I.E.L.D. (April–July 1995). Various publications have additionally focused on Nick Fury's solo adventures, such as the graphic novels and one-shots Wolverine—Nick Fury: The Scorpio Connection (1989), Wolverine/Nick Fury: Scorpio Rising (Oct. 1994), Fury/Black Widow: Death Duty and Captain America/Nick Fury: Blood Truce (both Feb. 1995), and Captain America/Nick Fury: The Otherworld War (Oct. 2001).

2001 trade-paperback collection, with repurposed cover art from Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. #4 (March 1968) by Jim Steranko.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:37 pm 
Regular

MG wrote:
Do you love comics?

Big comic fan, but I'm not as avid a follower as I used to be.

First comic convention was the Orlando Comicon in 1976. Met Harvey Kurtzman & others there.

I'm a big Nick Fury & SHIELD fan, especially the Steranko issues. I have all of them. Need to see where they are as I haven't been in those boxes in 20 years. Safe in plastic sleeves.

I also have a number of older Fantastic Four comics.

I have a wealth of the old underground comix, including the very first one: Feds & Heads from 1968 (which introduced The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers). A complete run of the Zap Comix from Robert Crumb (including Zap 0). And a bunch of the Richard Corben sci-fi & horror comic series like Fantagor, Grim Wit, Slow Death, Skull, and Fever Dreams.

I've got over 1000 titles, but haven't been collecting in a long while now.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:15 pm 
Regular

The only comics I got into....... :D

:shock: :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:31 pm 
Regular

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:59 pm 
Regular

Steranko's Shield run from Strange Tales was recently collected in one of the oversize "Artists Editions". Expensive edition (£120+) but it's truly amazing to look at the pencil/ink work.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 11:35 pm 
Regular

wadcorp wrote:
MG wrote:
Do you love comics?

Big comic fan, but I'm not as avid a follower as I used to be.
I used to collect these religiously and have all of the first issues:

Colourbox wrote:
The only comics I got into....... :D

:shock: :shock: :shock:
:twisted:

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 3:28 am 
Regular

I can't really make any constructive addition...the only comics I had on a regular basis were The Beano and The Dandy as a young lad..I used to love 'em.. :P

I do remember having full intentions of getting into adult comics, there's a great comic store in Nottingham (at least there was?) and it always fascinated me...I remember Dredd and Batman were the ones I always threatened to try, the Batman comics always looked quite dark and that appealed, but I never seemed to get around to it...If I'm honest, I think video games kind of filled the slot...but!, I may just sample a couple of comics from this store the next time I'm In Notts!..why the hell not!?...sounds good to me.. :wink:

Cheers MG! 8)

As an aside, I think Jonathan Ross is a big comic book aficionado in this country, with an apparently quite amazing, rare and valuable collection...mind you, he has the brass.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:48 am 
Regular

......and this one of course :)

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:28 am 
Regular

Big time comic book fan, although I haven't collected actively since about 1993. Since then I've just picked up the odd thing here and there.

I have a decent sized collection, not in real collector terms, but for an average person - pretty decent. I mostly collected Batman issues, back in the day when there were only 4 Batman monthly titles.

I don't much care for the glossy paper that most comics seem to use now, I much prefer good old pulp 8)

I guess I have a few notable issues, Batman 200 for example featuring the first appearance of Alfred as The Outsider and the 1966 debut of the modern Batgirl 8)

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Batman_Vol_1_200

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Detective_Comics_Vol_1_359

I have various late 1960's comics including some treasured Carmine Infantino, illustrated issues.

I also still have this one......http://www.ebay.ie/itm/BORIS-KARLOFF-MYSTERY-COMICS-16-GOLD-KEY-09-67-BOXING-STORY-HORROR-HUMOR-VF-/310949985476

Not worth as much as I thought :roll: :oops: :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 465 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 47  Next