www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 465 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 47  Next
 Post subject: Re: Comic Book Corner
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 6:37 pm 
Regular

Claremont's stunning X-Men run at Marvel from 1975 to 1991 is arguably responsible for the majority of the key X-men history and co-created many of the major characters (alongside the likes of John Byrne etc). Unfortunately Marvel still operates a system where they retain ownership of the writer’s creations. Several Marvel writers in the past (notably the very wonderful Steve Gerber) have taken legal action against the company but have still failed to get full artistic control over their creations and how they are managed.
Claremont seems to take a rather laid back view on this now and has said in the past that "My relationship with Marvel is that I work for them"
Most of the X-Men movies are directly inspired by the work of Claremont and regardless of the lack of direct "credit" he still remains remarkably positive about the film franchise when interviewed. Claremont has cameo roles in both X-Men:Last Stand (as Lawnmower Man) and "Days Of Future Past" (as a member of the Congressional committee alongside Len Wein)
As you can tell I’m a big Claremont fanboy :oops: 8)

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 1:12 pm 
Regular

Does anyone have Green Arrow - The Longbow Hunters, Written and illustrated by Mike Grell?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Arrow:_The_Longbow_Hunters

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:48 pm 
Regular

Location: Dreamsville Bureau of Realistic Attributions and Technosurvivalism
felixt1 wrote:
Does anyone have Green Arrow - The Longbow Hunters, Written and illustrated by Mike Grell?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Arrow:_The_Longbow_Hunters

Quote:
The series was a major influence on the TV series Arrow.

We get this tv show here but I haven't been watching it. The tv show looks a bit lame.

What happens when you put a being with god-like powers together with a bunch of sociopathic vigilantes?

You get this:

One of my favourites.........

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 11:42 am 
Regular

Returningman wrote:
Claremont's stunning X-Men run at Marvel from 1975 to 1991 is arguably responsible for the majority of the key X-men history and co-created many of the major characters (alongside the likes of John Byrne etc). Unfortunately Marvel still operates a system where they retain ownership of the writer’s creations. Several Marvel writers in the past (notably the very wonderful Steve Gerber) have taken legal action against the company but have still failed to get full artistic control over their creations and how they are managed.
Claremont seems to take a rather laid back view on this now and has said in the past that "My relationship with Marvel is that I work for them"
Most of the X-Men movies are directly inspired by the work of Claremont and regardless of the lack of direct "credit" he still remains remarkably positive about the film franchise when interviewed. Claremont has cameo roles in both X-Men:Last Stand (as Lawnmower Man) and "Days Of Future Past" (as a member of the Congressional committee alongside Len Wein)
As you can tell I’m a big Claremont fanboy :oops: 8)

Claremont and Byrne, brillinat, I am the proud owner of this comic amongst my collection

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 11:46 am 
Regular

MG wrote:

What happens when you put a being with god-like powers together with a bunch of sociopathic vigilantes?

You get this:

It is a very good statement about Superman, why if you have a being with godlike powers is there still war, famine, poverty etc... Simply crime fighting seems to be irrelevant and a waste of time. Bat Man and Superman are in completely different leagues. It is the stiory that should have been written about Superman. It is the best thing to EVER come out of DC and the film was awesome too

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:13 am 
Regular

Welsh Dreamer wrote:
...... and the film was awesome too

Hell yes............ :)

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 7:30 am 
Regular

MG wrote:

You get this:

+1

Have you read any of his other work?
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen & Promethea (art by J H Williams 8) 8) ) are very good.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:10 pm 
Regular

Returningman wrote:
Have you read any of his other work?
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen & Promethea (art by J H Williams 8) 8) ) are very good.

I haven't but the movie version of League wasn't very memorable.

I used to read these a lot as a child:

I remember the humour and satire of these comics to be pretty brutal.............

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:54 pm 
Regular

Also the proud owner of this, think it was about £50 between 25 and 30 years ago when I bought it, seems it's worth anywhere between £500 and £1,500 now :D :D Not that I will ever sell, it means too much to me and I know I would regret it the minute it went

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:06 pm 
Regular

Wow!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 465 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 47  Next