www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Cameron advising May
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:38 pm 
Regular

Oh, goodie. The out-of-touch twat whose complacency prompted the greatest UK constitutional crisis in modern history is acting as adviser.

I wonder what pearls of wisdom he'll impart.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46592394

Post subject: Re: Cameron advising May
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:39 pm 
Regular

The other day I was thinking about resurrecting the "Brexit circus" thread, with a single word comment....

AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:52 pm 
Regular

"For God's sake, Theresa, allow a second referendum. Don't let me be forever remembered as the berk responsible for turning Britain into a third world country."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:02 pm 
Regular

Granted mine's an outsider's perspective but it always seems to me Cameron has the most to answer for . He's the most enigmatic figure out of any of them . Farage wanted, May never wanted but has to conjure up some sort of something ... but what about Cameron ?

Cameron's got a Davos / Aspen / City of London / Paris perspective and he, in calling for the referendum, assumed everyone else in the country, including, say, farmers, for example, many of whom I'm certain don't see the benefit of being told what to do by technocrats from foreign countries, shared that perspective .

It's either that, which makes Cameron completely clueless, or he wanted Brexit . Those are the only two opinions he could possibly have on the situation .

I say that and yet I don't know what his opinion actually is . I'm sure he'd say there are many more opinions to have besides those two extremes but what he did was extreme . Whatever happens, when the smoke clears, it's Cameron's baby .

Whenever I see Cameron interviewed, he's got entertaining anecdotes about other fellow mega-rich global elites and he does have a certain familiar way with words that many of his milieu also have got [jumble words around to produce well-crafted optimistic statements] but not much is actually said .

He either never answers the very basic questions on this or he bedazzles the interviewers to such a degree that they forget to even ask basic questions, like "why"?

Interviewers seem afraid to ask him, "Why did you call for a referendum, what was your motive, do you want Brexit? If you didn't want it why -- from your Davos / Aspen / City of London / Paris perspective --- do you think the entire country even understands it" ?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:23 pm 
Regular

He called the referendum, Alec, to try to settle the internal fighting about Europe within his own party. This fight has ended the careers of the last three Conservative PMs - Cameron, Major and Thatcher.

Basically the UK is being very seriously damaged because the idiot thought he could placate the anti-EU faction in his party by showing them that there was not public support for leaving the EU.

He was strongly in favour of the EU, and fully expected to win the referendum.

There's a very good book called "Unleashing Demons", which is the inside story, written by Cameron's communications director at the time, Craig Oliver. In it, Oliver identifies 4 main reasons why the Remain campaign lost:

- no one had had to sell the EU to the public for 40 years - it wasn't clear what the key messages about the benefits of membership should be

- there was an almost complete lack of engagement by the Labour leader, Corbyn, and those close to him - this continues to this day

- Cameron was unwilling to allow "blue on blue" attacks on Conservative leave campaigners, such as Johnson and Gove - he believed that after he had won the referendum he would still be leading a Conservative government with these people in it

- in the last few weeks before the referendum, the Leave campaign focussed on immigration as their main issue - the Remain campaign had no answer to this, since there is free movement of people within the EU.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:30 pm 
Regular

Cameron is emblematic of the general problem with the Conservatives even now. They are arrogant, complacent after years of power with zero opposition, and have no experience or understanding of the lives, opinions, and problems ordinary people face. I said prior to the leadership election that Theresa May is the best they have. That's still the case. And it's very worrying indeed.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:42 pm 
Regular

Perfect Monster wrote:
- there was an almost complete lack of engagement by the Labour leader, Corbyn, and those close to him - this continues to this day
And as soon as I wrote that, than he announced that he will be tabling a vote of no confidence in May.

Obviously the man's a lurker here in Dreamsville :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:16 pm 
Regular

Perfect Monster wrote:
And as soon as I wrote that, than he announced that he will be tabling a vote of no confidence in May.

Well, that sums him up perfectly. Everything will be over by May.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:14 pm 
Regular

Brexits a bit of a pig in a poke. So Cameron should be well pleased. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:47 pm 
Regular

What is the Labour parties view on Brexit?