https://www.britbox.com

Post subject: Re: BritBox ?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:51 pm 
Regular

Many of these shows are in Netflix ?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:30 pm 
Regular

Netflix and NOW TV (Sky's streaming equivalent of Netflix) do seem to have many of the popular (and/or) hyped British TV series between them.

Living in the UK, I now rarely watch British terrestrial TV, which includes not just BBC, ITV, Channels 4 & 5, but the countless Freeview offshoots. I only really watch much of it when I visit my mum over Christmas & New Year. It seems to consist of endless repeats of Dad's Army and Morecambe & Wise, etc. And since I'm not into soaps or Reality TV shows, and they've pretty much stopped showing new films (Sky seems to have monopolised that market, together with the football) - or even old classic films (except during daytime, when I don't watch TV), there's nothing much for me there. I basically rely on DVDs or the occasional month's subscription to Netflix or NOW TV for my TV entertainment (although Channel 4's streaming service has a good catalogue - but I'm not sure if that's available in the US).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:02 pm 
Regular

I like those slow-paced British crime dramas .

Have been catching up on British crime dramas on Netflix that I've been missing out on, especially Happy Valley, Shetland, Hinterland but i keep seeing BritBox advertised for $6.00 or something per month and then I saw when I looked at the britbox.com and noticed Agatha Christie's Poirot, Question Time, Midsomer Murders, Keeping Up Appearances,, Inspector Morse and then I noticed something involving that guy we love so much over here, Idris Alba, in something or other and I liked Arthur well enough so I thought maybe I should give BritBox a try .

Liked that one with Gillian Anderson, The Fall . Didn't think I would because Gillian Anderson starred it . Never understood or enjoyed watching her X-Files but maybe I should now . When did she become an English person ?

Thought I'd like these Nordic Noirs more than I do . The last one I saw seemed conceived by teenagers, this one called Marcella . Really wanted to like that one .

Not really a teenager anymore, I guess .

I know there are some very good Nordic Noirs, like that one that takes place in Seattle but I can't remember the name of it .

Then I watched this one called Perfume: The Story of a Murderer . It's from Germany and it reminded me of Wings of Desire . In other words: Everything-but-the-kitchen-sink and call it poetry .

Avoided Sherlock for so long because I'd just assumed it'd be stew-pid . Just recently binge watched it on Netflix. Thumbs up .

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:31 pm 
Regular

Britbox is generally meeeh ....occasional shows of interest but generally its brit soaps . BBC america is the same but requires a TV subscription....I have found youtube to be pretty good for brit content and the cost of the RED version is worth it to lose the ADs ...Netflix is the new google of streaming tv... in other words you get what your fed if you dont know "good" nutrition .... :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:39 am 
Regular

Been avoiding Red for some reason and maybe it’s because it seems the opposite of what I like about YouTube but, then again, all those mind-numbing ads already killed YouTube some time back .... so it sounds like Red’s the way to go .

BBC America : Right now it’s got Karate Kid on . What’s that got to do with anything one can’t find anywhere else ? BBC News is good but i’d rather just get something not slanted towards what someone or some algorithm’s determined an American needs to consume . I want FLAVOUR, you marshmallows . :roll:

Good points about Netflix . I’ll admit though that the Black Mirror is starting to suck me in . Shhhhhhhhhthhhhhhhhhwwwwap . Everything like that seems like it’s to varying degrees by and for unimaginably bratty kids trying to tweak their parents’ noses . Black Mirror is clever and does alter perceptions so it deserves a hat tip .

A little TCM, a little BBC News, a little Netflix and some PBS and I’m done .

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:59 pm 
Regular

I've been off subscription TV for a few years now. I watch almost everything exclusively on KODI although having said that I do pay about 20 euro's every 6 months for Real Debrid which ensures I get premium streams. It's saved me so much money over the years.