www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Question ? If Bill were to re-issue one or more of the following albums as a 'lossless' FLAC download for you to burn to CD. Which ones would you want ? The download would also include high quality 300dpi artwork for you to print out.
The Alchemical Adventures Of Sailor Bill 12%  12%  [ 17 ]
Neptune's Galaxy 7%  7%  [ 9 ]
The Romance Of Sustain 33%  33%  [ 45 ]
Orpheus In Ultraland 28%  28%  [ 39 ]
Custom Deluxe 13%  13%  [ 18 ]
Dreamland To Starboard 7%  7%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 138
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:15 pm 
Regular

There are dozens of free FLAC file converters available to download. If Bill does decide to make these albums available, maybe Sound on Sound could put a link to a reputable file converter on the same page for anyone who is new to the process. I'm sure fellow Nelsonians will be more than happy to give help and advice to anyone having problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:34 am 
Regular

Fellini wrote:
There are dozens of free FLAC file converters available to download. If Bill does decide to make these albums available, maybe Sound on Sound could put a link to a reputable file converter on the same page for anyone who is new to the process. I'm sure fellow Nelsonians will be more than happy to give help and advice to anyone having problems.

I agree with Felini that FLAC is easy to get to grips with. I am by no means a computer whiz-kid but a fellow Neil Young fan sent me some music files that were in FLAC and gave me a few simple instructions on how to extract the files and it was painless.

I accept that there are people out there who will be put off buying music as FLAC files as they will convince themselves that they'll struggle with it.
So maybe to encourage the luddites into this world SOS/Bill could think of ways to allow potential customers to get to grips with it without the initial financial outlay required for a full album. For instance if a single track - a rarity in its own right - could be made avaialable for the standard fee that might be enough of an incentive to get people to try FLAC and see that its not difficult to do before then going on to buy a full album.

Just an idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:01 am 
New in Town

With all respect I don't think this is a debate that centers on fear of coming to terms with FLAC vs CD. I feel it's more a debate between those wanting a physical item for their money vs a digital file.

FLAC is very easy to come to terms with and it can be restored to full fidelity, unlike an mp3. It is however, not a CD with professionally printed artwork.

I take on board all of the justifying arguments that both Bill and SOS have put forward - economic viability is the pivotal issue, I understand that.

I do take slight issue with Bill stating that these albums were all there for a few years for those that wanted them. Certainly Orpheus and Arcadian were not. SOS will confirm this, they were on the site for days at best before they were sold out, being limited Nelsonica CDs. It seems that there was a re-think regarding Nelsonica discs after this and larger quantities were produced for recent conventions. Too bad for those that missed out on the earlier ones though... I genuinely envy those that can attend the conventions.

I won't be buying FLAC or any digital format for any album when a CD is available. I've bought FLAC and mp3 in the past but only when that was the only format available.

True, I've probably got no hope of getting Acradian Salon or Orpheus in Ultraland unless they are actually re-issued, so I'll have to live with that. If they are re-issued as FLAC it will drive eBay prices for the out of print CD up even further as it dashes any hope of a CD re-issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:02 am 
The Citizen

The Nelsonica albums were never originally intended for general release but were an exclusive promotional item to encourage ticket sales for Nelsonica and as a 'thank you' gift for those who supported the event by attending. They were also a collection of odds and ends, often material that I didn't consider to be my best, or 'B' list, or 'surplus to requirements,' and so on, as most people know.

Any copies left over from Nelsonica were offered for sale on the Dreamsville site the following week and were, naturally enough, quickly snapped up.

It wasn't the Nelsonica albums I was referring to when I wrote about albums being in stock for a few years. I was referring to 'main' releases which often take a long time to sell out.Yet quite a few people have said that they want re-pressings of some of these.

This difference, between the numbers of main release albums sold and the Nelsonica albums is, to some degree, down to the notion of 'limited editions,' or the exclusivity factor. The moment fans realised that the Nelsonica albums were no longer exclusive to the convention, sales immediately slowed. To all extents and purposes, there is now no difference between the convention albums and a 'normal' release.

This, of course, has robbed convention attenndees of their special gift from myself for their patronage, and this move, it has to be said, was a direct result of pressure from other fans who, for whatever reasons, have not supported Nelsonica but had complained that they couldn't get the Nelsonica albums.
Which is why, this year, we decided to do something different with the packaging of the Nelsonica album so that non-attendees can buy the music but only convention ticket holders can have the special packaging.

I've often wondered if I'd sell more albums, more quickly, if I made them ALL in very small batches! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:13 am 
New in Town

Thanks Bill, I understand all that well and I'm not being critical... But hey, you suffer from having a global and selfish fanbase, we all want equal treatment. :wink:

By the way, Ray Hearn says hi. You may recall I interviewed you in Ebisu in 1995 prior to one of your Laforet performances... or not. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:22 am 
The Citizen

Yes I do remember...Ray promoted some of the concerts I was involved in back then, and I remember being interviwed too. :) Please give Ray my best... And to you too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:27 pm 
Regular

csp wrote:
With all respect I don't think this is a debate that centers on fear of coming to terms with FLAC vs CD. I feel it's more a debate between those wanting a physical item for their money vs a digital file.

I think that particular debate is finished with, at least so far as Bill is concerned. He and SOS have said that the financial case for re-pressing these out of print albums is a non starter.

It therefore seemed to hinge on whether Bill really wanted to take the next step and actually offer FLAC files which led someone on here to quibble over the quality of FLAC and the ability for many others to actually come to terms with it. My post simply tried to say "it's as easy as taking a single out of bag". :wink:

To just correct you on one point. Arcadian Salon was the Nelsonica album that sold out in days and which prompted the change in policy over pressingruns. Orpheus took a few weeks to sell out. I know because I bought it on the tour not at the convention and they were several weeks apart.

I know that doesn't make it any easier for you to come to terms with it, but it was technically available for an appreciably longer time that Arcadian.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:10 pm 
Regular

Mick Winsford wrote:
To just correct you on one point. Arcadian Salon was the Nelsonica album that sold out in days and which prompted the change in policy over pressingruns. Orpheus took a few weeks to sell out. I know because I bought it on the tour not at the convention and they were several weeks apart.

Then you may have been lucky; I remember very distinctly that I ordered "Orpheus" only hours after it appeared on SOS. I even received an order confirmation, and then got a cancellation not too much later. This also happened to many others here. Apparently there were only very tiny amounts of that album leftover after Nelsonica and perhaps that tour you mention. The following year, not wanting to repeat that experience, many people here stayed up all night to make sure that they'd get the Nelsonica album this time. That was probably why "Arcadian" sold out so quickly, too. But at least this time there were no cancellations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:43 pm 
Regular

Mick Winsford wrote:
Orpheus took a few weeks to sell out. I know because I bought it on the tour not at the convention and they were several weeks apart.

I have to agree with tommaso here.

Remember being in Ohio over Thanksgiving when Orpheus In Ultraland came out. Didn't have computer access.

Upon getting home on Monday, I was greeted with a "Sold Out" when I checked on the album. I was floored.

If not for the above-and-beyond graciousness of J.M. – who had two copies as both he & his wife went to Nelsonica – I never would have been able to receive the disc.

There are some wonderful, wonderful people on Dreamsville.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:53 pm 
Regular

Mick Winsford wrote:
It therefore seemed to hinge on whether Bill really wanted to take the next step and actually offer FLAC files which led someone on here to quibble over the quality of FLAC and the ability for many others to actually come to terms with it. My post simply tried to say "it's as easy as taking a single out of bag". :wink:

Me too :) I have found fellow Nelsonians to be a helpful bunch and I'm sure anyone needing help with the process would find it here.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next