www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next

Question ? If Bill were to re-issue one or more of the following albums as a 'lossless' FLAC download for you to burn to CD. Which ones would you want ? The download would also include high quality 300dpi artwork for you to print out.
The Alchemical Adventures Of Sailor Bill 12%  12%  [ 17 ]
Neptune's Galaxy 7%  7%  [ 9 ]
The Romance Of Sustain 33%  33%  [ 45 ]
Orpheus In Ultraland 28%  28%  [ 39 ]
Custom Deluxe 13%  13%  [ 18 ]
Dreamland To Starboard 7%  7%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 138
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:57 pm 
New in Town

Like it or not, download are the future, and that's where it's at my friends! Come kicking and screaming if you have to, but come!

And like it or not, MP3 (or ANY lossy format) IS THE DEVIL! Lossy formats are taking a step BACKWARDS in audio fidelity. I don't care if you encode your MP3's at 320 kbps, you are STILL lowering the fidelity from the original lossless source.

One of the great things about offering digital downloads, is that you only have to create ONE product. Once you have the original fileset, you're done.

I'm actually surprised that Bill records and mixes at the standard CD quality resolution. In the digital audio world the source should be created at the highest resolution possible. I would say at LEAST 24/96. More bits equals more music. Sure, the resulting files are bigger, but the gained audio fidelity is definitely worth it. Editing and any other digital processing yields much better results at this resolution as well.

However, the only downside is the slight noise added when downsampling to CD resolution. This can be mitigated by using the different noise-shaping processes available today.

It is very easy to create an audio DVD disc (completely different from DVD-Audio or DVDA) at home using 24/96 WAV files, so this type of downloadable release could very well work. I would certainly buy them!

I've been hoping Bill would offer LOSSLESS (I can't possibly stress that enough) digital downloads for a long time. It's absolutely wonderful that this may come to fruition!

Thanks VERY much Bill!

PS. "Who Could Ask For Anything More" just keeps on popping up, doesn't it? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:02 pm 
Regular

"includes high quality 300 dpi artwork"
Huh ? Three Hundred dpi? I don't do 300 dpi. 600 dpi is a bare minimum when I scan stuff.
FYI faxes send at 200 dpi...

As for the FLAC fanbois out there you might just as well send the PCM WAV in the first place ... having studied the mathematics I still dont believe it is truely lossless.. it extrapolates , ie makes good guesses...well in my book that is not going to be 100 percent ... that will probably kick off another thread.

Still at least FLAC is the choice and not APE. Whatever higher power you believe in forbid. Awful way of doing things...

This is not denigrating Mr Nelson or his work in the slightest , it is just I have found it incredibly frustrating over the years to obtain or replace some of his work. I just feel the post is flawed or does not ask what we really want.
I will reiterate my thoughts , I would replace all of the above on SHM CD format . not as a download, and not with 300 dpi artwork.

regards

Fitvideo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:03 pm 
New in Town

...I don't mind the idea of a FLAC download in the slightest, though I'd suggest a wider spread of unavailable releases, as well as options to pay by Paypal and Google Checkout.

As far as MP3/AAC options go...well, Bill's made some of his work available in that way before (eMusic still has several releases available) and I'm not sure many people have availed themselves of that option. And as Bill noted earlier in the thread, it's a flawed option because of the lossy nature of MP3 even at 320k.

One other option I'd suggest, for the US at least, is going via CD Baby. This does produce physical media of igh quality, with artwork, and it's On Demand, so no inventory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:04 pm 
Regular

I never realised the subject of downloads could be so amusing :lol: and we wonder why the world is in such a mess :shock: :lol:
steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:16 pm 
Regular

Location: Florida (sitting by the window, in a house at the end of time)
Amok is right. So, if you take Romance Of Sustain minus one vote, you'll have a true impression of the market.

It was still a little early here when I found this thread. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:35 pm 
Regular

I have to ask a dim question : when I bought some blank CDs to make backups of pictures etc they were 700MB , I have noticed that when copying Bill's CDs to my iPOD library many ( if not all) are greater than 700MB. When I tried ( as an experiment) to make a copy of Neptune's Galaxy using a lossless file format I was unable to copy the entire CD as it would not fit on the CD-R.

Would you be able to get the downloaded albums on a "standard" CD-R or can you buy higher density CD-Rs ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:48 pm 
New in Town

>having studied the mathematics I still dont believe it is truely lossless.. it extrapolates , ie makes good guesses...well in my book that is not going to be 100 percent

FLAC is 100% lossless. No information is thrown out (like lossy formats) when encoding to FLAC. When you decode (or play a FLAC file, because that is still decoding) a FLAC file back to WAV, you get an EXACT, bit-for-bit copy of the original WAV file.

>I have noticed that when copying Bill's CDs to my iPOD library many ( if not all) are greater than 700MB. When I tried ( as an experiment) to make a copy of Neptune's Galaxy using a lossless file format I was unable to copy the entire CD as it would not fit on the CD-R.

I have never and will never use an iPOD or iTunes (the K-Tel or Walmart of the digital music world), but I have to say that something must be adding something to your files when you extract the audio from the original CD. There is no way a Redbook standard CD can be larger than 700 MB. Well, they can be very slightly larger, requiring an "overburn," but it is extremely rare that a commecial CD is made in this way, since this is not Redbook standard.

>600 dpi is a bare minimum when I scan stuff.

300 dpi is plenty high enough, especially if you going to print the graphics out CD tray-sized.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:16 pm 
Regular

With regard FLAC, you read the blurb, ate the stew , FLAC CAN be lossless on encoding ( and should well be if you verify it ) and CAN be lossless on extrapolation .. but from experience that is not always the case ... it can get it wrong... I try not to apply any form of audio compression software to music if I can help it (above and beyond what is necessary )...video is anothe matter as he eye can easily be deceived, as with regard to your last paragraphical retort, your satisfaction with 300 dpi , where as I am not and never would consider 300 dpi to be acceptable.
以上.
as to your CD size bit , you can easily buy 80 and 99 minute cds these days though the latter tend not to be printable. Historically they only upped the size to 80 mins to stop piracy when burnable cd's became prevalent in about 1998. Funny that...

regards

Fitvideo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:52 pm 
New in Town

Unlike other lossless encoders FLAC can ONLY compress losslessly. There are varying levels compression quality, giving you larger or smaller files, but the resulting FLAC file is ALWAYS lossless.

In FLAC encoding, each frame contains a 16-bit CRC of the frame data for detecting transmission errors. Not only that, but the integrity of the audio data is further insured because each FLAC file stores an MD5 signature of the original unencoded audio data in the file header, which can be compared against later during decoding or testing.

You can use the -v option to verify that the encoded file is lossless, and the FLAC folks have published a comprehensive test suite that you can also use for verification. Be assured however, that FLAC is indeed 100% lossless.

I have been using FLAC since it was first released, and in those five years, I have NEVER decoded a WAV file from a properly encoded FLAC file that wasn't an exact bit-for-bit copy of the original.

Yes, the 80 minute CD-Rs are the 700 MB discs. I rarely see the old 650 (74 min) discs anymore. You'd have to go a long way to find the 99 minute discs nowdays. Regardless, commercially made silver audio CDs rarely deviate from the Redbook standard, which is 74 minutes. Bill's do, but Bill is special, but even his don't go over 80 minutes.

Last edited by Painoman on Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:56 pm 
Regular

Quote:
Huh ? Three Hundred dpi? I don't do 300 dpi. 600 dpi is a bare minimum when I scan stuff.
FYI faxes send at 200 dpi...

My retinas only see 100dpi. :D

Quote:
the post is flawed or does not ask what we really want.

So why not start another thread that does ask what you really want? As this poll shows Bill does read and think about what is posted here. How many artists interact with their fans like this? Isn't it ultimately up to Bill to decide when and how he releases his work?

A lot of DV posters, who for whatever reason missed out buying these CDs, have asked if they are available as downloads. I read this poll as a response to those requests, its purpose being to select which album will be the first to be made available. I'd certainly welcome some downloads.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next