www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: NELSONICA 10 - A date & venue...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:25 pm 
Bar Manager

Bill and the Nelsonica team have been very busy planning this year's special 10th anniversary Nelsonica convention.

At this point, I cannot reveal too much, other that to let you know that it will be held over TWO days at the Park Inn, York.

Friday 26th November, starting early evening, will feature a live set including a full band performance.

Saturday 27th November, starting at 1pm, will feature the traditional convention presentations.

Further details will be announced as soon as we can confirm them. Please also keep checking the Nelsonica site for updates.

The dates that we have chosen fall on the weekend of the Saint Nicholas Fayre held annually in York, which attracts thousands of visitors, so please make sure that if you plan on staying overnight in York, book your rooms early.

More info soon...

Jon.

Last edited by Mayor of Dreamsville on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:38 pm 
Regular

A time, a place…

Now if I only had a budget. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:56 pm 
Regular

Room booked.........at a quite extortionate rate :( . Still, some things are worth paying a premium for :shock: 8) :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:34 pm 
Regular

Sue wrote:
Room booked.........at a quite extortionate rate :( .

The prices they quote for that weekend are over 40% more than for a weekend in the middle of August. :shock: :shock:

You'd better make sure that the stuff in the convention goodie-bag is solid gold :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:57 pm 
Regular

:D Room Booked. I have to agree with Sue. Very high prices for the rooms and no deals available :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:15 pm 
Regular

I havent had a chance to check room rates as yet...I am at work....but why pick such a busy holiday weekend? and why the day after Thanksgiving for the American contingent? makes no difference to me but it could really affect some I would think....and of course the end of November is pretty chilly and dark in England....the event is worth dealing with all of the negativities I mention....but it does make me wonder what the planning committee is thinking sometimes :roll:
steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:39 pm 
Regular

Yes, this add magnitudes of difficulty -- and I have already heard from at least one person who has instantly decided that there is no way he is flying that weekend -- but I am going to try!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:16 pm 
Regular

Room booked but not at the park inn :x Got a great deal thou :D Just need some tickets :wink: See you all there

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:39 pm 
Regular

Despite the fact that I could get 2 weeks in Corfu for less money, the room is booked and Mrs George will be coming up again this year... :D :D

Hope most of our American friends can make it over, despite it clashing with your Thanksgiving and hope to see everyone there...It looks like it's going to be a good 'un..8) 8) 8)

The things we do for our Bill, eh? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:02 pm 
The Citizen

The reason we had to fix the event on those two dates was because we had no option but to work around the availabilty of musicians, the availability of venues, the need for sufficient preparation time and band concert rehearsals. There were no alternatives if a special anniversary 2-day Nelsonica with a full band concert was to be put together for you.

Staging Nelsonica in October was impossible because of the unavailabilty of key musicians needed for the band during that month. (Same goes for earlier in November.)

September was also out of the question for similar reasons, plus it would have been too soon in the year to allow us enough time to prepare properly for a big two-day event. You probably appreciate that the preparation and technical pre-production for these conventions takes up a big chunk of the year and puts a great deal of pressure on myself and the team to come up with bigger and better content each time. And this year's 10th anniversary Nelsonica will be more complex and expensive to stage as a result of the separate full concert evening with a band and a second day devoted to other interesting presentations.

Jon, Paul and myself have already spent a great deal of time checking out other venues, none of which, unfortunately, turned out to be either suitable, available or affordable.
After a great deal of consideration, The Park Inn seemed to provide the most practical solution, but, at that time of year, venue availability is always going to be problematic. November through to Xmas and New Year is a premium time for hotels and venues and even at this early point in the year, they get booked up.

The only dates available to us happened to coincide with York's St. Nicholas Fayre. This means that most hotels in York will be busy and not discounting rooms. (The St. Nicholas Fayre is a very popular visitor attraction which will draw people from all over the country and abroad. )

However, the Fayre will be as an added event for those Nelsonica attendees making a weekend of it, especially those of you travelling from abroad, so in many ways it's a bonus, an extra experience for you to enjoy. Especially good for those of you travelling with your families.

We considered the alternatives to these two dates but the only options available to us would be not to stage the event at all, or to hold it in October as a one day affair but without the band concert and without Orchestra Futura too. This wouldn't really have been in the spirit of a 10th anniversary special. And if this year's Nelsonica does end up being the final one, I think it should be something a little more ambitious, don't you?

We're all looking forward to putting on a memorable show for you...a weekend that you'll really enjoy. I hope you'll appreciate the work and care that we're putting into it and come and join in the party! :D

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next