www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:44 am 
Regular

meangreenie wrote:

To those of you for whom it is the wrong date, the wrong place, the wrong price etc etc please feel free to keep your negative opinions to yourselves and, may I humbly suggest, spend your time and energy more positively finding alternative and imaginative solutions to the problems that you perceive. In short, put up or shut up! :evil:

A bit harsh there meanie, I think everyone here knows full well what a labour of love it is on the Nelsonica team's part and we all appreciate their efforts.
Obviously you are in a position financially to attend and I'm sure you'll have a great time, but please don't belittle the dilemma that some face, financially and logistically to attend.... :shock:

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:17 am 
Regular

Got booked in at the more reasonably priced Novotel. This will be 9 Nelsonica's in a row for me.
I'm fairly sure only Bill and Eddie have been to more...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:49 am 
The Citizen

Regarding reasonably priced accomodation: I'll personally call in at some bed and breakfast places that I know of locally and check out their rooms and pick up business cards or brochures. I'll then pass the contact details of the best ones onto Martin and ask him if he'd be kind enough to post them on the Nelsonica micro-site for your perusal.

Hopefully, there should be accomodation suitable for all budgets. If you are intending to only stay over for one night, (ie: the Friday evening,) you'll really only need a b+b anyway. You'll be at the Nelsonica concert Friday night, (and possibly in the bar with the team and myself afterwards, :wink: ) and then at the presentations the following afternoon until early evening. We've attempted to time things so that it's possible for people to travel back home on the Saturday night after the convention closes, if that is their wish.

Of course, those of you making a full weekend of it may want to stay over Saturday night too and enjoy the festivities in York on Sunday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:57 am 
Regular

Booked in at the much more reasonable Travelodge just around the corner - Micklegate (within staggering distance :wink: ) £155 for the two nights

http://www.travelodge.co.uk/search_and_ ... &from=list

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:11 pm 

Bill Nelson wrote:
Regarding reasonably priced accomodation: I'll personally call in at some bed and breakfast places that I know of locally and check out their rooms and pick up business cards or brochures. I'll then pass the contact details of the best ones onto Martin and ask him if he'd be kind enough to post them on the Nelsonica micro-site for your perusal.

Hopefully, there should be accomodation suitable for all budgets. If you are intending to only stay over for one night, (ie: the Friday evening,) you'll really only need a b+b anyway. You'll be at the Nelsonica concert Friday night, (and possibly in the bar with the team and myself afterwards, :wink: ) and then at the presentations the following afternoon until early evening. We've attempted to time things so that it's possible for people to travel back home on the Saturday night after the convention closes, if that is their wish.

Of course, those of you making a full weekend of it may want to stay over Saturday night too and enjoy the festivities in York on Sunday.

There are already some links on the Nelsonica site for alternative accomodation, (they don't have the Bill Nelson seal of approval though !)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:32 pm 
Regular

Hi All

Andy George wrote: "please don't belittle the dilemma that some face, financially and logistically to attend"

Andy, it was not my intention to "belittle" anyone and I apologise unreservedly to anyone who felt that way having read my earlier post.

We all have choices about how, where and when we spend our time and money and if, for whatever reason, people can't or won't allocate their time and money to this particular event is their personal choice. I just don't think it is very helpful for some posters to criticise the team that are clearly working very hard to put N10 together for somehow failing to take account of everyone's individual circumstances and preferences.

I'll grab my coat and go now (might need it in late November!!).

Kind regards - meangreenie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:53 pm 
Regular

As one who did indeed comment that the date would add difficulty to making the trip and would cause some not to try, I apologize if this in ANY way seemed like criticism of Bill and the team. I was merely pointing out a fact. I understand and accept all of the reasons Bill and others have provided for the choice. I will be there, though it will mean leaving my family on a major holiday and flying on the worst weekend to fly of the year. Again, I WILL be there. Smiling, thrilled and distributing hugs!

As for remarks that those who find it harder to come to the event because of the date are just a bunch of whiners, I suggest we hold the event in San Francisco for the next ten years, on the day after Christmas.

:wink: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:36 pm 
Regular

First in line for a hug Peter :lol: !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:50 pm 
Regular

Bill Nelson wrote:
AND give every one of the lady Nelsonians a nice aromatherapy massage... :wink:

Forget the hug Peter, I'll have one of these instead!! :wink: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:52 pm 
Regular

Location: Florida (sitting by the window, in a house at the end of time)
In no way do I wish to complain about where or when the event is held, and I greatly appreciate Bill and crew for making this year's event even more special than previous conventions. However, I hope that no one minimizes the cost and effort on the part of those of us who must come from far away. My wife and I are making every effort to attend this Nelsonica, as we have never been able to attend the past conventions, due to distance and money. Last night, we spent some time checking the prices of accommodations in the area, and because of the time of year, everything we looked at was extremely pricey. We originally thought airfare would be a larger portion of the cost, but that pales by comparison to the rates of the rooms. We would also stay more that one or two nights, as it wouldn't make since to travel such a distance to rush in and out again. We've only been to the UK once, in 1988, and we didn't get to see York, so I'm sure you understand. Plus, I have been a Bill Nelson fan for over thirty years, and have never seen him play live, so this means a great deal. Another cost for us would be to buy some warm clothes, it doesn't get very cold here in Florida. :D

Again, I am not complaining about anything, just trying to put it in perspective for some of you who may not realize the time, cost and effort it takes for some of us.

That being said, I hope to meet many of you at this great event, and as I said, we are making every effort to attend. Afterall, my son can attend college later, he'll understand. :wink:

Oh, and thanks to Bill and others who are posting information to accommodations. It's very helpful.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next