www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:53 pm 
Mr Magnetism Himself wrote:
ladesco wrote:
beautifully melodic and lofty. upward and forward... these heavenly oral veins waft, warp and wane toward new lights and heights of humanity.

Do you, perchance, mean "vines"? :wink:

nope... :wink:

veins. :wink: i thought vines too trite, maybe?

bloody! :D

although, vines is a nice alternative... hmmm :wink:

it's negotiable... be sure to send my share to a goodly fund :D :lol: :) :oops: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:53 pm 
Regular

I was late on ordering the new BN CD since I suspected the tunes may not be the type of BN music I enjoy... well, I was correct.
I have no problem buying all of Bill's newest releases even if it's not my cup of tea since I know there will be more, and the man has to eat and pay the bills if he is to continue his art. So I put this one one the shelf, pull out an older release to remind me why I buy his tunes... cause it's the soundtrack to my humble life and must have my BN fix daily... or I become a nasty cretin who won't eat his pudding.

Thanks for being so prolific Bill... it keeps me hangin' on knowing something I enjoy is just around the corner.

PS I'd suck the oil off the Gulf waters if I could attend your upcoming show, but in poor health so it will have to wait... knock'em dead sir!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:50 pm 
Regular

Prey wrote:
I was late on ordering the new BN CD since I suspected the tunes may not be the type of BN music I enjoy... well, I was correct.

Hey Prey,

Like other CDs of Bills, you may revisit this one in the future and think "Gosh, this is great!" His tunes (at least those which don't grab you instantly) seem to have a magical way of growing on you over time.

Last edited by Pathdude on Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:00 am 
The Citizen

Yes, that's true...some things take a while before they open up. It's not always a matter of 'keep listening' but sometimes the listener needs time to become 'ripe' for the experience. Then, on the other hand, it may never make sense! :lol:
I do have to say that I think 'Airmail Guitar' is one of my personal favourite guitar-based instrumentals. If that had been made by another guitar player, rather than being my own work, I think I would have been rather jealous... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:08 pm 
Regular

Let me be clear... there is not a bad track on the disc, all the music is well done, but I can't help but feel the tracks have no flow, they seem disjointed from each other, one track leads to another on efforts of the same vein (instrumentals) giving the impression of an ebb & flow, not here.
There are great moments on this disc, no doubt, just never completely realized, cut short before they fully develop.
I'll chalk it up to the intended venue, a documentary, not always the best platform for music that gets transferred to CD without the benefit of the video portion.

I thought if I was going to post my indifference to the CD I owed saying why.

Post subject: Re: PICTURE POST : New Album released 7th April
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:40 am 
The Citizen

Each piece of music was created to reflect the thematic content of the relevant part of the documentary film. For instance, the music that I created for the chapter on musical stamps covers a variety of musical genres within it's short time span, from Rock n' Roll thru jazz, modern composition, etc. The pacing of the piece and points where the stylistic changes occur are dictated by the real-time physical edits of the images in the film. In fact, these diverse images, their style and their pacing became the actual 'score' for each piece. None of the tracks were conceived seperately from this 'score'...they were built for purpose, even down to leaving space for the documentary voice overs...the whole thing was carefully constructed as a harmonious whole.
However, I liked what this did to the music as it forces one to think in non-linear ways about composing and produces musical effects that might not 'normally' occur. Listening to the music without the visuals that it was designed to accompany was, for me, interesting and satisfying as it produced an ecclectic and almost unpredictable listening experience. The result was something that I couldn't have achieved without the film's template.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:13 pm 
Regular

[quote="Prey"]I thought if I was going to post my indifference to the CD I owed saying why.[/quote]

So in other words, you're posting a post about Picture Post. :roll: :) :wink:

Nice explanation, Bill. :)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5