www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: PRE-ORDERS: 'THE PRACTICE OF EVERYDAY LIFE.'
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:18 pm 
Exploding Ned wrote:
Ordered and waiting patiently

hang in there, ned ol' boy, ol' chap... REALLY GREAT THINGS come to those who wait!

i'm up to disc 5 at the office; me thinks "playing jesus to her judas" sort of rattled my re-born christian office mate!

wait till he hears how the octoberman sings of the rape of angels...! :oops:

question for master bill regarding DISC 8, song 8... INDISCRETION:

as i would so love to be discrete in asking... who is JAN nelson as backing vocals?
:shock: :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:28 pm 
Regular

ladesco wrote:
as i would so love to be discrete in asking... who is JAN nelson as backing vocals?
No need to be discrete - most folks here could tell you that she is a former Mrs Nelson.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:58 am 
Mr Magnetism Himself wrote:
ladesco wrote:
No need to be discrete - most folks here could tell you that she is a former Mrs Nelson.

whew! thanks MM... i knew it couldn't possibly have been a typo (as if it could have been Ian) :oops:

afterall, that's some tiny type in the booklet! but i have microscopic eyes, and it's perfect now that it was Jan... :oops: :P

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:12 pm 
Regular

Location: Uncle Sam Humanoid in the New York City metro area.
Hi All

I haven't ordered this box set yet, but I probably will.

It was very interesting to scroll through the titles and see how Bill's music has changed through the years. I can remember how shocked I was when I first heard the first track of Sound On Sound (Don't Touch Me I'M Electric)..and thinking
"What the heck is this?" as it certainly was a departure from Be Bop Deluxe. With time, I knew that Bill owuld be always changing instead of embracing musical inertia. Listening to his changing music over the years has been a treat.

Others should have the chance to discover this treat. so.......

I may be a little out of line here. I recently watched a you tube performance of "Maid In Heaven" with Bill and a backing band. I think it is a very recent performance and it sounded fantastic. Any chance of a "40 years" tour to go along with the box set? I think it would be outstandingly awesome.

G

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:28 pm 
Regular

There was a tour organised for last november but the promoter pulled the plug at the last minute with the original intention of re-scheduling this spring. This unfortunately looks increasingly unlikely to go ahead...... :|

The performance of Maid In Heaven no doubt comes from the 'Legends-Bill Nelson Live At Metropolis Studios' DVD, which was filmed early last year and is still available to purchase.

Well worth getting hold of, this features Bill and 'The Gentlemen Rocketeers' playing music from the Be Bop Deluxe years and beyond. There is also a stunning solo set from Bill 8) 8) 8) 8)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:40 pm 
Regular

Hey Felix

Thanks for the info. I am guessing that tour was going to be limited to England?

Do you know when he last performed in the states?

G

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:02 pm 
The Citizen

GettingOnTheBeam wrote:
Do you know when he last performed in the states?

It was in the 1980s, two tours with two different bands: 'The Practical Dreamers' and 'Mountains Of The Heart.' (though I can't recall the actual dates.) I also did a promotional tour in the early/mid '90s, performing solo in record stores and on radio. This was when Caroline Records in America released my 'Practically Wired' album there.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:37 pm 
Regular

Bill I hope you can make it back to the states one day.

When I lived in Boston in the early 80s you were due to give a show (maybe '83) which my friends and I were going to attend, and it got cancelled at the last minute. Don't know if you recall that or not.

G

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:46 pm 
The Citizen

GettingOnTheBeam wrote:
When I lived in Boston in the early 80s you were due to give a show (maybe '83) which my friends and I were going to attend, and it got cancelled at the last minute. Don't know if you recall that or not.

Can't say that I do...though sometimes gigs were cancelled by management because of contractural concerns or promoter problems. The band would not be made aware of details, we'd just follow orders. It was very much like being in the army at times, ours' not to question why, etc, etc.
Nowadays, if I go out to tour, it's more like running away to join the circus. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:59 pm 
Regular

Captain Future's Pyschotronic Circus, of course. (Boy, I hope I spelled that right..... :wink: )

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next