www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 2:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: NEW CDs - 'Signals From Realms Of Light' and 'Model Vill
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:14 pm 
Regular

I have authorized a payment to Sound On Sound , Ltd..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:13 am 
Regular

Funny I had imagined the two albums to be reversed in sound. I expected Village to be pop songs but they are cinematic whereas I thought Signals might be the quiet one but it most certainly isn't. They both mixed well with Jonas Bjerre's (Mew) soundtrack to Skyscraper. I am the Universe is indeed gorgeous and soaring. Nice work Bill!
Seakret

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:18 am 
The Citizen

seakret wrote:
Funny I had imagined the two albums to be reversed in sound. I expected Village to be pop songs but they are cinematic whereas I thought Signals might be the quiet one but it most certainly isn't.

Not sure if you read any of my forum announcements/descriptions regarding these albums but I did actually outline their style and concept as a guide to potential listeners. I'm always conscious of fan's varying sensibilities and tastes so generally try to give clues as to what they should expect from new albums, (though sometimes the albums embrace so many different elements on one disc that tying it down to one generic or stylistic trait becomes impossible.) And, don't forget, there are always snippets of some tracks in the store for fans to listen to before buying.

Anyway, I'm very pleased that you enjoyed the neo-classical, orchestral soundtrack nature of 'Model Village,' even though you were expecting it to be an album of pop songs! :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:15 pm 
Regular

It's really La Belle et La Bete revisited isn't it? Even the horse neighs! Maybe it should be retitled "Music for an Imaginary Cocteau Film"?!?!
Like it. Listened to it while getting ready for work today, getting the kids ready for school. Bill have you ever been commissioned to do music for kids programs? It has that nostalgic happy morning quality I remember from my childhood.
Seakret

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:33 pm 
Regular

The first thing that popped into my head when listening to Model Village for the first time was dear old Jack Hargreaves and "Out of Town"..... :)

Andy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:40 pm 
The Citizen

Ah yes...Jack Hargreaves, had forgotten about him...what a wonderful tv presenter he was...and what a great shed! :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:08 am 
Regular

Alas in the us of a we missed out on jack. Which brings me to the universal quality of the music which transported me to a nostalgic feeling of innocence in youth. It's David Lynch without the ugly underbelly. Now to get it recorded by an orchestra! Oh to have Macca's wallet! I'm sure it would be beautiful. So Bill, about the process recording these mini-epics, are you notating any of it or just going direct to tape with ideas that eventually flesh out with overdubs?
Seakret

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:00 am 
Regular

Bundle ordered, after dragging my feet for a while. I'm ashamed to admit, but I've still got quite a few BN cds I haven't listened to properly yet! Still, I love what I do listen to, and the samples are quite fetching for these two current albums.
Looking forward to hearing them. Not sure if I need the boxed sets, still, "hemming and hawing", as they used to say, on those....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:50 pm 
Regular

hypnohighball wrote:
Bundle ordered, after dragging my feet for a while. I'm ashamed to admit, but I've still got quite a few BN cds I haven't listened to properly yet! Still, I love what I do listen to, and the samples are quite fetching for these two current albums.
Looking forward to hearing them. Not sure if I need the boxed sets, still, "hemming and hawing", as they used to say, on those....

No need to feel bad, just the occasional twinge of wondering what you're missing . But it's not like there's a shortage.
:D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:46 am 
Regular

Hi All,

One thing I love about this forum is depth of subjects covered.

How many music forums will have a review of a CD leading to praise for Jack Hargreaves! Out Of Town was a truely British programme and wonderful with it.

Next time I listen to Model Village I'll probably picture Jack with his pipe in that shed or fly fishing by a stream!

How about a Bill Nelson take on the theme tune or even the red indian chant from HOW!.

TaTa :D

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next