www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Sun May 26, 2019 10:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: NEW CD - Songs Of The Blossom Tree Optimists
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:58 am 
Regular

Late night in Yorkshire Bill! It's only 8pm in Panama Friday night, listenting to Summer of God's Piano (Sacrament) if you can recall that at this time. Hard to imagine such a long musical trip. It's an honour indeed to be able to enjoy this and apparently an endless river of music to come. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:25 pm 
Regular

Thought I would pop in after a very long absence to say how utterly fantastic this record is. The eq on my system needed a bit of a fiddle to bring out the warmth through smaller speakers but this is my favourite new Bill record by a league and a mile since the extraordinary cluster of releases in 2003/5. Good to see the death of the jewel case and the 4pp inserts too. As noted elsewhere a total gem.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:05 am 
The Citizen

Thanks, Tom...much appreciated! :)
Unfortunately, the high cost of manufacturing digipacks, (more than twice the cost of a normal jewel case, apparently,) means that, in future, that sort of packaging will have to be restricted to double albums where the retail price can justify the manufacturing costs. So, sadly it's back to the jewel case for now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:50 am 
Regular

"Double album" :D :D :D
The last one (Clocks & Dials) was a corker. Maybe the N12 special can be another 2cd masterwork 8)

BTW for what it's worth I would pay another couple of quid for a digi pack cover.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:21 pm 
Regular

I ordered SOBTO not having read these posts (don't know how I missed them). I'm one of the other fans who hasn't liked all the recent albums but I got an immediate sense of connection with the samples for this album.
Now, as I'm waiting for it to find it's way Stateside, I'm intrigued after reading the series of posts relating to this album.

I welcome well-argued negative comments as it makes me feel less of an outsider when it comes to my own views. I'm OK with keeping my mouth shut if I have nothing to add to the conversation and I'm also OK with the realization that I'm not going to like everything Bill does despite the fact that I felt like one of the only devoted fans through the wilderness of the early 90s.

What I felt when not enjoying albums such as Golden Melodies was a disappointment in myself and a strange sort of feeling of being a traitor. I couldn't understand why I was missing the point of Bill's work that I'd adored for so many years. :(
Despite the lack of connection with some of Bill's work, I view this site on an almost daily basis and maintain a huge respect for an artist of such huge ability, humility and intelligence.

I recently found a used copy of Gleaming Without Lights at my local CD store, and was completely blown away once again by Bill's articulate performance and clever arrangements and that led me to order a couple more CDs from SOS. Let's see if I can get back on the beam.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:28 pm 
Regular

mr manchester wrote:
I recently found a used copy of Gleaming Without Lights at my local CD store, and was completely blown away once again by Bill's articulate performance and clever arrangements and that led me to order a couple more CDs from SOS. Let's see if I can get back on the beam.

Goes to show that Bill pretty much has something for everyone. Have you tried "Signals from Realms of Light"? Another instrumental jewel with some of Bill's finest electric (and synth) guitar to these ears. Don't miss it.
Another thing: I've always found Bill to be about 1 CD ahead of me, by way of my appreciation. In other words, I'll hear a new one and not quite get it until I hear the next one, and then I'm like, oh yeah, THAT was what Bill was going for. So... that is to say, if you don't really care for the last one, get the next one.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:00 pm 
Regular

mr manchester wrote:

Wow! :o That's a rare find, considering how small the quantities are of the newer releases. Especially for someone who lives in the states!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:40 am 
Regular

mthom wrote:
Wow! That's a rare find, considering how small the quantities are of the newer releases. Especially for someone who lives in the states!

that's true, I'm pretty certain Denver is hardly BN Central!
It served as a good reminder not to lose touch with Bill's music

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:47 am 
Regular

mr manchester wrote:
mthom wrote:
Wow! That's a rare find, considering how small the quantities are of the newer releases. Especially for someone who lives in the states!

that's true, I'm pretty certain Denver is hardly BN Central!
It served as a good reminder not to lose touch with Bill's music

I find it hard to find any of my old musical heroes who remain so vital. Bill Nelson is still evolving and enjoying himself while creating new music consistently. Listen to him; he could be 20 years old just discovering his ability to create music. Amazing. I am sure you will catch on to his new music.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:12 am 
Regular

Andre wrote:
I find it hard to find any of my old musical heroes who remain so vital. Bill Nelson is still evolving and enjoying himself while creating new music consistently. Listen to him; he could be 20 years old just discovering his ability to create music. Amazing. I am sure you will catch on to his new music.

Indeed, Andre.

And every neon cynic needs a bit of the blossom tree optimist's point of view and vice-versa. Each needs the other.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next