www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Old Hunslet and my Father's shop.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:25 pm 
The Citizen

Yes, that's the Dawes logo if I'm not mistaken, Alec! :D

The Gresham Flyer trike I had was actually all red, (maybe a slightly deeper shade than the trike in the photo',) but with gold script lettering used for the maker's name and pin-stripe trim. But, as far as I can recall, it was otherwise virtually identical with the yellow and red one in the photo'. I certainly remember those smart domed chrome 'hub caps on the rear wheels. It also had the same telescopic chrome handle for adults to be able to keep a hold of how far the trike was allowed to ride in front of them. The caption in the photo says that this particular trike is a mid 1950s one but mine was probably earlier. The caption says that there was a Flyer exhibited in 1952. I really enjoyed that trike when I was just a little kid.
Thanks, alec! :wink:
PS: here's an old Pathe news clip of Prince Phillip at a 1952 cycle show/exhibition. A Gresham Flyer is briefly featured at around the 1 min 3 second mark.
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/duke- ... cycle-show

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:30 pm 
Regular

Bill Nelson wrote:
Yes, that's the Dawes logo if I'm not mistaken, Alec! :D

I would certainly feel like a V.I.P. with such a logo out in front like that. 8)

Bill Nelson wrote:
PS: here's an old Pathe news clip of Prince Phillip at a 1952 cycle show/exhibition. A Gresham Flyer is briefly featured at around the 1 min 3 second mark.
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/duke- ... cycle-show

Thanks for this, Bill.

What cool footage!!

What a lot of cool bikes. :shock: Everything looks futuristic, sleek and forward.

Will have to watch again. :)

The Gresham Flyer in this Pathe clip certainly looks like a solid and shining machine indeed. :shock:

I liked my trike but I don't think it approached quite that level of coolness. :shock:

Mine was purple and glittery and gave me a sense of sparkle when triking round.

Prince Philip looks like a 17-year-old, too. :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:29 pm 
Regular

It was one of those places I remember with fond memories Bill!! Others Included Watson Cairns whose sold most things on Two and Four Wheels at the bottom of Briggate and the Toy Store on the corner of Duncan Street and Call Lane.My Brother got a bike at the same time I did. Being Smaller his was half sized and had a basket. That was a Dawes but I can't remember what it was called or even what colour it was.

I seem to remember a Toy Store on the corner of Waterloo Road and Joseph Street as well further down from your Dads shop. Places like that were magnets for the small boy I was at the time. For Many Years I got the Bus down Waterloo Road when heading to "town". It was always busy and when you did get off to shop there the shops were those old world magical places where the next corner held a surprise or they were just crammed with bizarre objects.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:48 pm 
Regular

A bit of poking about on Ancestry.com reveals that the phone number for Broughton's was Leeds 75021 in 1956. Might 'ring a bell' Bill?... I really should get out more.. :wink:

'English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus fed, Miss Havershambling opsimath and eremite, feudal still, reactionary Dreamsville.'

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2