www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The difficulty of keeping up with private messages.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:29 pm 
Regular

Bill Nelson wrote:
I don't think so...It's just that I'm uncomfortable around fakes and egotists in any walk of life, whether that be music or otherwise. I do understand the insecurities and weakness that sometimes cause people to inflate opinions of themselves in such a way, and I'm not unsympathetic to that, but some other people are just, plain and simple, victims of their own deliberately overblown ego. I'm afraid I have no time for that sort of thing. The only reason I do what I do is because of my love of music, all the rest is superficial, (though it has been sometimes neccesary to play the 'showbiz' card to get certain things across.) But the truth is, I left any adolescent fantasies of celebrity, fame and fortune behind me a long time ago.

Well, it's fortunate for us that you take that view and it certainly seems to work here.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:19 am 
Regular

wadcorp wrote:

You ... are welcome to interact with us all you want.

Yes, by all means , welcome. Make yourself at home and post all you want, Mr. Nelson :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:50 pm 
I have made great friends through this site. As a musician and songwriter, the interactions (and gracious encouragement) I have had with other musicians and fans in Dreamsville have inspired me to write and produce more music than I ever did when I was earning a living through performing. I am grateful to them for it and to Bill for getting the ball rolling with the site, and I"ve PM'd him a couple of times with songs I've done just as a way to say thanks for being such an inspiration not only as a musician but also as an advocate of what creativity should be about: openness, honesty, and fun. Creativity thrives outside of the box.

What Bill has created here is a wonderful and engaging environment. I'll be honest, I have so much fun in the music forum that I sometimes forget the reason we all signed up for citizenship in the first place. I often feel guilty that I'm not doing more "fan" stuff, but I think the best testament I can make personally as to what impact Bill's music and ethos has had on me is to enjoy creating my own music and art. And for that, I shall be ever grateful.

You go ahead and blow up the mythos, Bill. It makes you a much grander person than those who enshrine themselves in contrived ivory towers will ever be.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:01 am 
Regular

sigh.... it's only Electro Joe ... I was all ready to jump on
Older Joe and give him a reaming ! :P :twisted: :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:21 am 
I know! I know!! :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:08 am 
Regular

Location: Dreamsville Bureau of Realistic Attributions and Technosurvivalism
Bill Nelson wrote:
I've often been advised not to interact with my fans so much. Apparently, keeping a good distance from them adds an air of mystery to an artist's image. Well, all I can say to that is, what utter 'tosh.' If an artist feels he has to manufacture some kind of artificial, 'holier than thou' image, you know, the old-school, sacred cow on a pedestal sales-pitch of the pop industry, then, in my opinion, there's something sadly missing in their lives. I detest that show-biz, carefully calculated 'don't touch me, I'm a god' approach. What a load of utter bollocks. It's intended to perpetuate some boring, pop-star myth and not rooted in reality. These people are not serving you music, they're just serving their ego. If an artist is any good, there's no need for that kind of artificial, fake flim-flam. Unfortunately, many fans of those artists still fall for it... :roll:

Actually I think that, in certain contexts, there is a real danger that some people may be disappointed in coming in contact with their "heroes" (sorry; I actually hate the use of that word but for the sake of expediency...).

It's the human condition of people to create their own images of artists they admire and, when the reality of contact of any sort with the real person eventuates, that image may be shattered.

I do understand what you are saying about the falsification by marketing and the creation of images by people who want to make money out of an artist (rather than what the artist really needs, wants or desires) but I think it may be a fine line between artists who wish to have some contact with their audience to enhance their work (be it music or other media), artists who are just the product of their marketing and artists who just don't want to engage personally with their audience at all.

For me I can't see the point of PM'ing Bill Nelson about anything unless it was extremely personal (and that is highly unlikely in any context) or unless I had knowledge that the world was about to end and I knew that the only thing that could save it is BN's music.

With respect; hell hasn't frozen over yet........... ;)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:38 am 
Regular

I appreciate the purity of purpose in what you've written, MG, and find myself agreeing with maybe all of the first 3/4 of it.

And with regards to your last points, all I can say is that I feel a sense of gratitude because of the ways that Bill transcends preconceived notions of so many things.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:56 am 
Regular

alec wrote:
I appreciate the purity of purpose in what you've written, MG, and find myself agreeing with maybe all of the first 3/4 of it.

And with regards to your last points, all I can say is that I feel a sense of gratitude because of the ways that Bill transcends preconceived notions of so many things.

I have enough information from BN without having to PM him about anything and, as he has pointed out in another post, in many cases people want to connect with their "heroes" for their own self-aggrandisement or to feel validated in their fandom.

I AM NOT pointing any fingers to any of my fellow Dreamsville residents only making a general comment.

As Peter Hammill says in his song Energy Vampires:

Quote:
I've got every one of your records, man,
doesn't that mean I own you?"

Oh, sure, I long ago decided to make myself an exponent
of public possession in the private obsession zone.

I actually met PH once, for five minutes, after a gig he did in Sydney, Australia in the '90's............. I wasn't disappointed. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:03 am 
Regular

MG wrote:
I have enough information from BN without having to PM him about anything and, as he has pointed out in another post, in many cases people want to connect with their "heroes" for their own self-aggrandisement or to feel validated in their fandom.

That's true but there's also something else going on in there. I haven't got the means in my head to describe what I'm talking about, though. :oops:

MG wrote:
I AM NOT pointing any fingers to any of my fellow Dreamsville residents only making a general comment.

Cool.

MG wrote:
I actually met PH once, for five minutes, after a gig he did in Sydney, Australia in the '90's............. I wasn't disappointed. ;)

Cool.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:06 am 
Regular

All my above comments are meant with the greatest for BN and the residents of this here 'Ville.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next