www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The difficulty of keeping up with private messages.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:27 pm 
Regular

MG wrote:

I actually met PH once, for five minutes, after a gig he did in Sydney, Australia in the '90's............. I wasn't disappointed. ;)

Nice quote from the man MG.
Completely agree with your sentiments.
As I'm sure I've mentioned before BN & PH are both originals and their artistic honesty and integrity is clear to see/hear both in their respective musical output and their chosen interaction with their fans via Dreamsville and Sofasound (shameless plug :wink:)
That is more than enough for this fan 8)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:11 pm 
Regular

I must say I was really suprised when I read that Bill had so many PM's. If Bill requests that he prefers PM's about dodgy ebay items etc... then that seems justifiable but apart from that all the info you need about Bill and his music is on Dreamsville isnt it ? Obviously not !

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:18 am 
Regular

Location: Dreamsville Bureau of Realistic Attributions and Technosurvivalism
martin jordan wrote:
I must say I was really suprised when I read that Bill had so many PM's. If Bill requests that he prefers PM's about dodgy ebay items etc... then that seems justifiable but apart from that all the info you need about Bill and his music is on Dreamsville isnt it ? Obviously not !

I think information about dodgy eBay stuff needs to be posted publicly. That way we all know what to avoid..............

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:30 pm 
Regular

I wouldn't dream of sending Bill a PM, I know he has a heavy work schedule and there are thousands of fans but only one Bill Nelson.

I feel privileged to be a member of a community where he interacts so much, both in his posts here and in his diary entries.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:11 pm 
Regular

I was just reading the above exchange with Martin and MG and can see both points, but...

Specifically in terms of eBay listings, bootlegs, and especially downloads, since they obviously upset Bill to varying degrees, why do some of us still insist on posting the links here on Dreamsville? It seems contradictory at best considering. Surely the need to post these items cannot outweigh the risk of upsetting Bill? All illegal activities should definitely be reported, in my opinion the more discreetly the better. Not only are those sellers attempting to make outrageous sums upsetting to all, but then everyone seems to expect Bill to comment on each incident, repeating his stance again and again, but to what end? So in a way, it's a double whammy for Bill. He may diplomatically say otherwise but his language leaves little doubt that he would rather not have to deal with such matters.

Having said that, I agree with MG that sometimes we should be alerted in regards to scams. This much would be expected to protect our fellow denizens of Dreamsville. But in the end people will privately buy what they want anyway, with or without anyone's approval. So I see no point whatsoever reproducing eBay listings, bootlegs, or any free downloads here in Bill's own cyberhome.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:09 pm 
Regular

Exactly Fellini - just what I was trying to convey but you did it far better ! :oops: :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:49 am 
Regular

Location: Dreamsville Bureau of Realistic Attributions and Technosurvivalism
Fellini wrote:
I wouldn't dream of sending Bill a PM, I know he has a heavy work schedule and there are thousands of fans but only one Bill Nelson.

I feel privileged to be a member of a community where he interacts so much, both in his posts here and in his diary entries.

+1!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:49 pm 
Regular

I'm not one to put people on pedestals, though I have been accused in the past of toadying up to Bill, . Whatever gushing compliments about the music I post are completely honest and true expressions of my reactions to the music , and whatever I say is meant to support Bill in his musical efforts , and if anyone wants to read anything else into that , they do so in the realm of speculation and their own imaginations. I've actually gone out of my way to be slightly disagreeable at times , at the risk of seeming rude , as a way of not allowing myself to place Bill up there too high in the pantheon :P .

This is the only fan board I've gone to where the artist interacts with the fans, so I have no real idea how these things normally go, and I don't really care . Looking at this historically , withing the context of the old PF site from around 2000 and through till now, we've gone from no direct online contact to what we have now, which is a very functional , and apparently healthy dynamic of interaction, and that says a lot about both Bill and his fans .

The internet is like long distance phone calls though, so there are always aspects of people's makeups and tendencies that don't come through, so we're all only ever getting partial pictures of reality of each other , but as far as such things can go online, this is a pretty good situation , with a lot of level interaction going on ; Bill comes off as a fairly normal dude, and almost all of us seem as normal as we need to be. Bill's put a lot into talking about what's behind the music , and answers a lot of questions , and that's all a bonus that we don't come close to getting from a lot of artists . There's a level of comfort, respect, and familiarity going both ways , and there's even more of that between Bill and the fortunate ones who go to the Nelsonicas .

As far as pms go, having seen the progression I just spoke of, I've felt comfortable enough to have sent them a few times in the past , and been graciously responded to ; it was all just a natural evolution of the man behind the curtains pulling them back and stepping out . It's pretty cool, when I think about it like that, because for a while the music had such a deep effect that it was hard not to seem like a school girl with a crush, trying to articulate the music's impact . Bill
'just being Bill' and also me evolving as a person , has led to a zone of normalcy . We love the music, and he likes having appreciative people stopping by to hang. It doesn't need to be much deeper than that .

Dar

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:01 pm 
Regular

Very nice, Dar. And well said. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:46 pm 
Regular

asterisk wrote:
Very nice, Dar. And well said. :wink:

Absolutely, I could not have articulated the point so well 8)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next