www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: EXCLUSIVE VIP ALBUM LAUNCH PARTY!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:38 am 
The Citizen

Just got home after a very foggy journey from Leeds. The rain had finally stopped but the road required some care. It looked more like November than July through the windscreen.

The evening went well, despite the weather causing travel problems. Everyone seemed to enjoy the launch party and I had the opportunity to chat with new fans as well as more familiar faces. Good to see Sue, Colin and Caroline, Stuart and Derek, Bradford Mick and Tony, amongst several others.

Big thanks to Ian Haydock, Martin Bostock, Paul Gilby, Kerry-Anne, Duncan and Andy for helping to organise things and deal with equipment technicalities.

The album was played back at high volume and, even though the room's acoustics were rather unkind to certain frequencies, it was very well received by our guests. Some interesting questions were given during the Q+A session...hopefully I gave interesting answers! :wink:

I'm sure that, once everyone has had a chance to listen to the album further in their own homes, they will discover hidden details and subtle touches that may have been lost in the initial high volume listening.

One person came up to me and said that they thought this was the most accessible album I've made in a long time. Well, I think that's a positive comment, though I didn't think about it from that angle when I made the album. :wink: I just hope that it connects in some way. It's an ugly-beautiful thing...heck, even I don't understand it completely! :lol:

Anyway...a very nice evening shared with lovely people. Sincere thanks to everyone for your warm support! Should we do something like this again sometime? :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:16 am 
Regular

Well me being a shy sort of guy didn't really chat to too many people but being a newbie is hard;i'll bring the wife next time :wink: What can i say about the cd---i bloody loved it but then again being still on the front row at Rammstein concerts i like it raucous and edgy. Listened to it again on the way home and i can see how the little ampexes fit in nicely now.
Finally how nice it was to shake Bills hand after all these years--my first guitar hero who's was the first gig i ever went to in 1977 at Wolverhampton Civic Hall when i was 17----how time flies!!

The print is really good--gonna be framed tomorrow!!You gotta get this cd peeps;give your ears a good workout!!

Thanks to all the guys who helped arranging the do!

Most of all thanks Bill
(your a guddun) as they say down our way! :D

ROLL ON NELSONICA!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:35 am 
Regular

Sue wrote:
Well, the venue was excellent........bar and company were more than excellent and the album played in a beautiful room on VERY loud speakers was a revelation. Bill will please a lot of people with this one I think. Now you'll have to wait for someone to come and fill the gaps, I'm off to bed. One too many gin and tonics I think :shock: :lol:

Thank you Sue 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

You never miss a gig, you are a true original Nelsonian..... if you say JTA will please a lot of people then it surely will 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:41 am 
Regular

Bill Nelson wrote:

The evening went well, despite the weather causing travel problems. Everyone seemed to enjoy the launch party.

One person came up to me and said that they thought this was the most accessible album I've made in a long time. Well, I think that's a positive comment, though I didn't think about it from that angle when I made the album.

Anyway...a very nice evening shared with lovely people. Sincere thanks to everyone for your warm support! Should we do something like this again sometime? :)

I'm pretty sure the answer to that from a fan point of view will be a resounding yes!!!

The vibe from Sue alone, speaks volumes :wink: 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:45 am 
The Citizen

Tangoman wrote:
being a shy sort of guy I didn't really chat to too many people but being a newbie is hard;

Many thanks, Tangoman...I'm pleased you enjoyed the evening and the album!
Your comments got me thinking...we have quite a few new Dreamsville citizens, several of whom have never before been to a Nelsonica or any other Dreamsville gathering. How can we help 'newbies' to feel more at home, to welcome them into the community of fans who enjoy the music I make? Especially when someone such as Tangoman was brave enough to come along to the launch party on his own, not knowing anyone?
I'm often so wrapped up in the minutae of these events that it's easy to overlook the human element. I become obsessed with sound, presentation, visuals, etc...But I'm moved by tangoman's words...

I wonder...can we devise some way of easing newcomers into the Dreamsville/Nelsonica scene? I feel that there is something we can do to make them feel more comfortable and 'at home' in these real-life encounters, but what is it? Any ideas folks?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:07 am 
Regular

Bill Nelson wrote:
Many thanks, Tangoman...I'm pleased you enjoyed the evening and the album!
Your comments got me thinking...we have quite a few new Dreamsville citizens, several of whom have never before been to a Nelsonica or any other Dreamsville gathering. How can we help 'newbies' to feel more at home, to welcome them into the community of fans who enjoy the music I make? Especially when someone such as Tangoman was brave enough to come along to the launch party on his own, not knowing anyone?
I'm often so wrapped up in the minutae of these events that it's easy to overlook the human element. I become obsessed with sound, presentation, visuals, etc...But I'm moved by tangoman's words...
Tangoman wrote:
being a shy sort of guy didn't really chat to too many people but being a newbie is hard;

I wonder...can we devise some way of easing newcomers into the Dreamsville/Nelsonica scene? I feel that there is something we can do to make them feel more comfortable and 'at home' in these real-life encounters, but what is it? Any ideas folks?

I turned up at the Leeds gig (late! :oops: :lol: ) knowing nobody.....very quickly more than one or two seasoned Nelsonians actually approached me and looked after me, making sure I got my Hip Pocket Juke Box CD and generally welcoming me to the fold and introducing me to other passing Nelsonians who they were acquainted with......

I had a truly great time that weekend and it was mostly down to the warmth of the Nelsonians I met (the music wasn't too bad either :wink: ).

The people I met incidentally were: Johnofdeath, Sue, Andy George, Mr. Mercury and his Welsh posse who are not DV members but good company..... and Jon Wallinger,the mayor of Dreamsville himself 8)

Everyone I met contributed to my enjoyment of the weekend :D

My tip to anyone new would be this:

Nelsonians are in general only too eager to welcome new folks into the fold. If you are on your own for the first time, I can pretty much guarantee that If you approach almost anyone, they will look after you and make you feel somewhat at home :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:24 am 
Regular

Brings me to think about Nelsonica 2013 (have to look ahead) which I intend to attend. No doubt I will be alone and having not met anybody personaly. Regarding Bill's question, I would refer to felix's comments which are only too sencible. The other thing that occures which is just common sence is what I have heard happening in the air with people agreeing to meet at a particular pub the night before the convention. Sounds absolutely great. It's a dream situation to my mind. If I travel from so far, and to be able to meet at a pub and meet a bunch of fellows and fellowettes with common musical tastes.

This launch party sounds like it was a fine evening and cant wait to hear some more of the comments.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:42 am 
Regular

I Can vouch for both leeds events.. coming on my own
The October event was overwhelmingly fantastic on a social level where i got to meet people like Mark Powell and his wife amongst others and i mean others in a very good way!

Tonight the veritas meet drew a blank as a meeting place for me coming on my own, far too many end of working weekers to make out any Nelsonians!! whereas i still touched base with two guys at the actual event, and got on very well..just by introing ones self!!...

Bill
My answer to your query regarding involving newbies to the fold more is.. pre venue choice pub and i know it seems quite basic, but a nice distinct one inch diameter button badge issue of pride on the lapel
would not go amiss to stand people out from the crowds..

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:55 am 
Regular

Firstly, my thanks to Bill and the team for a splendid evening. The venue and location were excellent: easy to get to having parked, and very relaxing. The format was well-judged and IMHO somewhat more couple-friendly than Nelsonica - long enough for those of us diehards who would go to anything Nelsonic-related cash/time permitting, but short enough for partners wishing to support their other half to have a pleasant evening, meet some new people, and look back on a good night out.

By contrast, Nelsonica is a bit full-on for those who aren't already committed fans, and whatever the event, walking in to a crowded room of people who all seem to know each other is challenging, and a full day where it's hard not to feel a bit 'on the outside' isn't ideal for someone who has come along to support someone else.

Having only managed to get to Nelsonica three times I don't really know the people who have been to every event, and if there is a pub pre-meet there's a danger that those who do will all cluster together and make it hard for newbies to get a word in.

What we do at our car club is make a conscious effort to sit apart from our regular friends so as to make sure we meet people we don't know - but that is something we do monthly seeing our particular friends in between. I'm not about to suggest monthly Nelsonicas but if the regulars make a conscious effort to say hi to people who they don't recognise and look a bit lost, I'm sure that would be good. Also, a pre-meet in a quiet bar would be much better than, say, Weatherspoons, which would be chaotic. Using the bar at the venue might be a good choice?

Anyway, we thought that last night ticked as many boxes as any Nelsonic event we have been to and once again, our sincere thanks to Bill and the team for a lovely evening

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:31 am 
Regular

Thanks No7 you seem to have got my feelings off to a tee----i just saw everyone in the bar all chatting merrily away and i'm too much of an introvert to just go and start a conversation without feeling intrusive---now i know this is my problem not anyone elses--but next time i'll bring my wife for a crux.
I still enjoyed myself--the cd is fantastic--and i did manage to splutter a few words to Bill which made my night also.
I'll try and do better at Nelsonica---my shyness won't put me off!!

I'm sure i'll feel better once i get to know a few--i don't intend to go away--it feels to good and i wanna be a part of it :mrgreen:

P.S. Think i'm gonna make myself a special badge for Nelsonica :lol:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next