www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: EXCLUSIVE VIP ALBUM LAUNCH PARTY!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:36 am 
Regular

Like Bill, I think we all had to negotiate quite a bit of fog on our way home last night. Well worth the trip from Nottingham though.

Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed the event - something a little different and I think it worked really well. I liked the venue, a touch of class, catching up with one or two friends but overall my main impression and realisation was this: the format of the event itself made us actively listen to the whole album all the way through and with the accompanying notes from Bill and the Q&A after, I appreciated being able to take in the full album in a concentrated way.

It is very rare for me (and I guess others) to put a CD on and sit and "enjoy" it all the way through without disruptions. At home I will be doing things with Bill's music on, or play CDs in the car but your concentration is never fully 100% on the music.

I just liked the way it gave us space, time and the right environment to take in a full album and with the personal touch of Bill's intro to it and answering some questions, it helped bring it alive as a piece of music.

By the way I love the ambienty "palette cleansers" between the guitar heavy tracks and enjoyed them in their own right as pieces of music as well as helping the album work as a whole.

Top marks to all involved in organising it. Very impressed and nice touch for Bill to come and thank us personally in the bar after!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:48 am 
Regular

I've got to agree with the person who thinks this is Bills most accessible album in a while.

And yes Bill, I think this is a positive thing

As members of Dreamsville we don't view Bills work in the same way as, for want of a better phrase, the public and what we accept as adventurous, intelligent music is often perceived by them as 'difficult' or 'left field'

Perhaps an album like this will give potential fans a key into the world of Bill Nelson music and once through the door they can take their time and start listening to the less 'obvious' work that we are so familiar with.

I can think of numerous artists who I first encountered through a one off hit single or atypical track. I then bought the album to find that it was nothing like the track I'd heard and was a little disappointed at first, only for repeated listenings to convert it into a favourite album.

The other thing that struck me last night was how many of the albums I've recently bought after reading 5* reviews in all the music mags have turned out to be not just bad but very bland easy listening MOR stuff. Honourable exceptions being PIL and Richard Hawleys latest offerings
Being as objective as I can, I'd say that this album is good enough , different enough and brave enough to be the rocket up the arse that modern music needs at the moment.

It is as always down to personal taste but I genuinely can't see the current crop of what I think of as 'beardy, whining' song merchants, and you probably know who I mean from that description, still being relevant a few years down the line.

Sadly the music press probably won't review this album due to their blinkered view... Their loss. So lets play it to as many non Nelsonians as possible and spread the word.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:10 am 
Regular

REG wrote:
I've got to agree with the person who thinks this is Bills most accessible album in a while.

And yes Bill, I think this is a positive thing

As members of Dreamsville we don't view Bills work in the same way as, for want of a better phrase, the public and what we accept as adventurous, intelligent music is often perceived by them as 'difficult' or 'left field'

Perhaps an album like this will give potential fans a key into the world of Bill Nelson music and once through the door they can take their time and start listening to the less 'obvious' work that we are so familiar with.

I can think of numerous artists who I first encountered through a one off hit single or atypical track. I then bought the album to find that it was nothing like the track I'd heard and was a little disappointed at first, only for repeated listenings to convert it into a favourite album.

The other thing that struck me last night was how many of the albums I've recently bought after reading 5* reviews in all the music mags have turned out to be not just bad but very bland easy listening MOR stuff. Honourable exceptions being PIL and Richard Hawleys latest offerings
Being as objective as I can, I'd say that this album is good enough , different enough and brave enough to be the rocket up the arse that modern music needs at the moment.

It is as always down to personal taste but I genuinely can't see the current crop of what I think of as 'beardy, whining' song merchants, and you probably know who I mean from that description, still being relevant a few years down the line.

Sadly the music press probably won't review this album due to their blinkered view... Their loss. So lets play it to as many non Nelsonians as possible and spread the word.

Excellent post Reg :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:36 am 
The Citizen

The badge thing isn't a bad idea. We've created badges a couple of times previously but their design has usually related to a specific Nelsonica or other.
But it might be nice to create a discreet, stylish enamel 'Dreamsville' lapel badge which could be worn at any event related to my music, whether convention, album-launch or concert. It would subtly alert fans to each other and perhaps groups of fans who already have met could spot new faces and extend a welcome.

A fixed pre-concert or pre-event meeting place and time could possibly be decided here on the forum, somewhere that new members could go to meet a 'Dreamsville Welcoming Committee,' made up of a handful of regulars who might volunteer to act as a point of contact. All of this could be discussed and arranged here on the forum prior to the event. I'm aware that the pre-event pub idea has often been flagged up on the forum but maybe it could be made clearer and more definite by selecting just one pre-event meeting place and a set time for fans to gather. The special badge would then help everyone recognise each other if they hadn't previously made contact.

One of the nice things about this website is the way that we've built up a virtual community of people who appreciate a wide range of music and who are interested in creative culture in general. What struck me at last night's party was just how warm and well-mannered everyone was...'grown-ups' who have an authentic appreciation of music and music's value in a society that needs the depth of thought and feeling that music can offer more than ever. I felt very encouraged by that.

Enjoyed the Q+A session immensely, felt very relaxed and 'at home,' thanks to the warmth and consideration of everyone there. Let's do it again sometime! :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:49 am 
Regular

I would certainly be happy to pass on my mobile number for anyone who wants to meet up prior to Nelsonica in York. I'll be with a posse of folk anyway and the more the merrier :wink:

If anyone wants to join us, just send me a PM and I'll give you my number :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:30 pm 
Regular

I think pre-Nelsonica communication is important for someone who's attending for the first time. Nelsonica 09 was my first time, and it really helped exchanging PMs with Sue and Angie beforehand. They let me know where they were all meeting, and introduced me to quite a few of the other Dreamsville regulars (and non-regulars). I wouldn't have had a clue who was who otherwise!..

By the way, I'd be wary of any phone number felixt1 gives you. I rang it the other day and I got charged £4 a minute to listen to some Scottish bird offering to stick some bagpipes up my bum. Worst 40 quid I've ever spent :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:41 pm 
Regular

Mr. Mercury wrote:
I think pre-Nelsonica communication is important for someone who's attending for the first time. Nelsonica 09 was my first time, and it really helped exchanging PMs with Sue and Angie beforehand. They let me know where they were all meeting, and introduced me to quite a few of the other Dreamsville regulars (and non-regulars). I wouldn't have had a clue who was who otherwise!..

I'm always happy to help anyone who needs it at Nelsonica or any other meeting for that matter. As Mr M says, just drop me a pm and I'll do my best :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:42 pm 
Regular

Mr. Mercury wrote:

By the way, I'd be wary of any phone number felixt1 gives you. I rang it the other day and I got charged £4 a minute to listen to some Scottish bird offering to stick some bagpipes up my bum. Worst 40 quid I've ever spent :shock:

As for the bagpipes :shock: felix I'm shocked :shock: :lol: :lol: :shock:

Last edited by Sue on Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:42 pm 
Regular

Mr. Mercury wrote:

:lol:

To be serious for a second though MR. M, If you rang the number I gave you in Leeds, it is no longer correct :oops:

I'll send you my new number........

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:45 pm 
Regular

Sue wrote:
Mr. Mercury wrote:

I'm always happy to help anyone who needs it at Nelsonica or any other meeting for that matter. As Mr M says, just drop me a pm and I'll do my best :)

As I've said before, Sue was extremely helpful when I attended my first event :D

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next