www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: EXCLUSIVE VIP ALBUM LAUNCH PARTY!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:49 pm 
Regular

felixt1 wrote:
To be serious for a second though MR. M, If you rang the number I gave you in Leeds, it is no longer correct :oops:

I'll send you my new number........

Yeah right. I'm not falling for that one again.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:46 pm 
Regular

Photos.............anyone :?:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:10 pm 
Regular

Location: Uncle Sam Humanoid in the New York City metro area.
Bill Nelson wrote:
Just got home after a very foggy journey from Leeds. The rain had finally stopped but the road required some care. It looked more like November than July through the windscreen.

The evening went well, despite the weather causing travel problems. Everyone seemed to enjoy the launch party and I had the opportunity to chat with new fans as well as more familiar faces. Good to see Sue, Colin and Caroline, Stuart and Derek, Bradford Mick and Tony, amongst several others.

Big thanks to Ian Haydock, Martin Bostock, Paul Gilby, Kerry-Anne, Duncan and Andy for helping to organise things and deal with equipment technicalities.

The album was played back at high volume and, even though the room's acoustics were rather unkind to certain frequencies, it was very well received by our guests. Some interesting questions were given during the Q+A session...hopefully I gave interesting answers! :wink:

I'm sure that, once everyone has had a chance to listen to the album further in their own homes, they will discover hidden details and subtle touches that may have been lost in the initial high volume listening.

One person came up to me and said that they thought this was the most accessible album I've made in a long time. Well, I think that's a positive comment, though I didn't think about it from that angle when I made the album. :wink: I just hope that it connects in some way. It's an ugly-beautiful thing...heck, even I don't understand it completely! :lol:

Anyway...a very nice evening shared with lovely people. Sincere thanks to everyone for your warm support! Should we do something like this again sometime? :)

Yes...can you come over to the States next time? :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:23 pm 
Regular

REG wrote:
I've got to agree with the person who thinks this is Bills most accessible album in a while.

And yes Bill, I think this is a positive thing

As members of Dreamsville we don't view Bills work in the same way as, for want of a better phrase, the public and what we accept as adventurous, intelligent music is often perceived by them as 'difficult' or 'left field'

Perhaps an album like this will give potential fans a key into the world of Bill Nelson music and once through the door they can take their time and start listening to the less 'obvious' work that we are so familiar with.

I can think of numerous artists who I first encountered through a one off hit single or atypical track. I then bought the album to find that it was nothing like the track I'd heard and was a little disappointed at first, only for repeated listenings to convert it into a favourite album.

The other thing that struck me last night was how many of the albums I've recently bought after reading 5* reviews in all the music mags have turned out to be not just bad but very bland easy listening MOR stuff. Honourable exceptions being PIL and Richard Hawleys latest offerings
Being as objective as I can, I'd say that this album is good enough , different enough and brave enough to be the rocket up the arse that modern music needs at the moment.

It is as always down to personal taste but I genuinely can't see the current crop of what I think of as 'beardy, whining' song merchants, and you probably know who I mean from that description, still being relevant a few years down the line.

Sadly the music press probably won't review this album due to their blinkered view... Their loss. So lets play it to as many non Nelsonians as possible and spread the word.

Nice message Reg. I am going to order a few copies for some non-nelsonian types to see what they think. I think they are going to like this one. and maybe that will get them to delve into more.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:24 pm 

Pictures from the party are now posted in the topics section of the forum.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:07 pm 
Regular

Nice pictures.

After seeing the pictures, and reading the reviews, I feel like I was there......except for the music part.

But maybe I will be able to fill that gap within the next couple of weeks? :D

G

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:20 pm 
The Citizen

GettingOnTheBeam wrote:
I feel like I was there......except for the music part.

But maybe I will be able to fill that gap within the next couple of weeks?

No, Next week! Keep your eye on the forum for the official announcement! :wink: :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:49 pm 
Regular

:D :D :D :D :D :D
Bill Nelson wrote:

One of the nice things about this website is the way that we've built up a virtual community of people who appreciate a wide range of music and who are interested in creative culture in general. What struck me at last night's party was just how warm and well-mannered everyone was...'grown-ups' who have an authentic appreciation of music and music's value in a society that needs the depth of thought and feeling that music can offer more than ever. I felt very encouraged by that.

Enjoyed the Q+A session immensely, felt very relaxed and 'at home,' thanks to the warmth and consideration of everyone there. Let's do it again sometime! :D

That's why I like this place too - full of intelligent,civilised people who share a love of a certain chap' s music but much more than that as an added bonus - just looking at Martin's photos of a group of people old enough and wise enough to be comfortable in their own skins having a great time-wonderful stuff-I'm not jealous of the people who were fortunate enough to go to last night's event - I'm envious-there's a big difference-the kind of difference that people here understand....hoping to meet a few familiar faces and lots of new people at the first Nelsonica I've been able to attend later this year :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:23 pm 
Regular

Bill Nelson wrote:
GettingOnTheBeam wrote:
I feel like I was there......except for the music part.

But maybe I will be able to fill that gap within the next couple of weeks?

No, Next week! Keep your eye on the forum for the official announcement! :wink: :D

Nelson, I spent the day on the beach, and was in the ocean which was at a perfect refreshing temperature, but hearing that I will have JTA in my hands in a week or so just put the icing on a perfect day.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:43 pm 
Regular

I really enjoyed the evening, met some lovely people (Duncan, Reg, John, Steve) a old friend (Douglas!) and Mr. Nelson (twice) drank a little too much red wine by the end of the evening. Would love to do it again for another album a really fine evening.
Next: NELSONICA!
All the best,
Glyn Jackson

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next