www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:38 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: EXCLUSIVE VIP ALBUM LAUNCH PARTY!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:15 am 
Regular

No trains to Heaven. . . . . .or Leeds

I've read so many glowing reviews of Friday night that i feel i must share the other side of the story with you. I too had a ticket for the event (still do in fact) and have been anxiously waiting for 6 weeks for the day to come. After all, it's not every day that you get a chance to attend a VIP party with one of your top 3 musical heroes of all time. I thought i'd make a weekend of it so also got tickets for Big Country in Leeds, and the cancellation of that only adds to the disaster of the weekend. Despite my user name i actually live in North London (although i was born on Donny) so I caught to train up on Thursday night with no problem and stayed with family. Friday was shocking weather but by 3 o'clock it seemed to stop raining as i was as happy as Larry - whoever he is. I decided to get the train from Bentley which is one stop outside Doncaster - which incidentally is not too far from Askern where BBD played their first gig back in 73 - as it's easier to get to. Bentley station is one of those little unmanned stations with no notice board or anything to keep you up to date with goings on. Arrived at Bentley at 17.15 for the 17.26 train full of optimism. I even had my Music in Dreamland book with me as i was hoping to get Bill to sign it for me. 17.29 came - no train and no notification of any problem. 16.29 came - no train and no notification of any problem. Desperation takes hold as i'm totally in limbo and a feeling of dread comes over me. A guy on the platform who was there before me got on his i-phone and found that all trains had been suspended due to flooding between Wakefield and Fitzwilliam with no alternative available. They were hoping to run the 19.23 train but that wouldn't have got me to Leeds until 20.15 and they couldn't guarantee that it would get through on time. In hindsight the last train to get through without issue was the 13.29. Now i know i should have gone to Leeds earlier but had no real wish to wander around in the rain for 3 hours and i'm not particularly clued up on Leeds so thought the 17.29 train would be perfect. Whadda mistaka da make! You'll guess from this ramble that i did not get to the event and 2.5 days later i'm still distraught with the unfairness of it all. The things that rankle the most are that if it had been on Thursday it would have been no problem. If it had been Saturday it would also have been no problem. And the second thing ids my neice's boyfriend told me on Saturday that if i'd have phoned him he would have driven me through as the Psychedelic Furs were playing and he's have gone to that and met me afterwards. He must have told me 3 times in quick succession with made me even angrier. So although i'm very happy that all who attended had a great time, spare a thought for me who had a ticket but ended up watching some shite on the telly with steam coming out of my ears. I really hope i was the only one who was beset with problems as i'd hate to think that there was more than one empty seat.

Next time Bill, could you do it in December when the weather is better :wink:

PS Ian (felix) as you'll gather i did not get our copies of Secret Club so maybe you'll be able to do the honours at Nelsonica as that has sold out as well! Not my year is it?

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:13 am 
Regular

Oh, you poor thing! Why don't you pm someone on the Nelsonica team and see if at least you can get your cd and print sent out to you?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:26 am 
Regular

Thank you for your concern Sue. Needless to say i'm still gutted :cry:

I will do that as i'm now back in London

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:42 pm 
Regular

Deepest sympathies! That is not nice to hear.

Golden rule. Always assume there will be a balls up on the trains! I booked the 13:00 from Kings Cross. A nice fast 2 hour train so was scheduled to arrive at hotel around half three. Plenty of time for a nice nap, bite to eat and shower.

However, due to flooding no trains on the KC/Leeds route so had to go to Euston, travel to Manchester on a slowie and change for Leeds. Five sodding hours later (one of which was standing up) I arrive at Hotel. No time for a nap. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Mind you, at least my journey ended happilly.

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:55 pm 
Regular

Thanks Bob

It's the lack of information at the piddling little station that gets my goat. If i'd have know i could have perhaps made an alternative journey but that probably wouldn't have been any good either. South Yorkshire was virtually under water!!! It was a shocking feeling at 19.15 when i finally realised that i wasn't gonna get there :cry:

Glad you enjoyed it mate.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:00 pm 
Regular

DONCASTER ROVER wrote:

PS Ian (felix) as you'll gather i did not get our copies of Secret Club so maybe you'll be able to do the honours at Nelsonica as that has sold out as well! Not my year is it?

Chris

Chris :shock:

I'm really sorry to hear all this, you must be gutted :cry:

I will of course do my best to sort out Secret Club fo us both in September......... :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:16 pm 
Regular

Rover, that is a very frustrating scenario. And I have full sympathies for you. Please be assured that I am not trying to frustrate you even further, but I have to ask why did you not take the 20 mile taxi ride into Wakefield for a more direct shot at Leeds? Personally, I could not accept being that close and to have to accept that there was nothing to be done. Probably best left as a rhetorical question though. I am feeling miffed just imagining myself in such a situation. If that happened to me, I think would be starting out for Nelsonica this weekend! :shock: :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:23 pm 
The Citizen

Chris, I'm so sorry to hear of your troubles on Friday...that really is a terrible shame. I will have a word with Ian Haydock to make sure you get your album and print. Stay tuned.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:40 pm 
Regular

Thanks Bill, that's very kind of you. I hope for better luck next time and i hope there will be a next time.

And asterisk, you are absolutely correct and i couldn't agree more. For nearly 3 days i've been playing different scenarios in my mind - what if i'd done this, if only i'd done that. It was the fact that i was against the clock and i should really have known better and gone much earlier in the day so in effect it's my own stooooopid fault and i have to live with it.

And Ian, thanks for the offer re Secret Club. I'll be in touch.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:53 pm 
Regular

"One person came up to me and said that they thought this was the most accessible album I've made in a long time. Well, I think that's a positive comment, though I didn't think about it from that angle when I made the album. I just hope that it connects in some way. It's an ugly-beautiful thing...heck, even I don't understand it completely!"

Well Bill... I think that was me who said that as I swiftly headed to the bar for a glass of something cold and refreshing while listening to the rest of the album.

And yes, of course it was meant as a positive comment. While listening to the first half dozen or so tracks it struck me as something that instantly struck a chord (or six) and had a resonance not only in some of your earlier work (there were some vague references to Be Bop) but I was more (pleasantly) surprised at how it seemed to interlink with moments from Red Noise and Quit Dreaming (and not just because of the lyrical reference). It even seemed to reference parts of later works such as Blue Moons or Luminous.

Even the musical interludes were in some ways connected with the short instrumental pieces from Ritual Echo or even Das Kabinet...with echoes of Orchestra Arcana and a lineage from Practically Wired etc. very refreshing interludes.

Now, don't get mistaken that I saw this simply as a retro album in any means.. indeed, far, far from it.

I liked the albums freshness, its direct approach and if truth be told its wanton abandonment... damn it...it sounded like you had been having great fun recording it.. and that energy and enthusiasm sang through the speakers.

I didn't play it driving home through the fog... but have played it a couple of times since and its now will be ensconced in the car for future listening this week.... and so far all I can say is that the more I listen to it the more I see.

As I don't have a ticket for Nelsonica this year (living between UK and Australia has both its ups and sadly its downs) don't you even contemplate playing some of the songs live! or I will be having words...

So to sum it up.

The strap line "Best Album since..... blah blah"...is bandied around too often and usually makes little sense as its all subjective and associative. BUT....looking at the shelf in my study with the last few years BN albums on I can't see one that has made such an instant connection and damn it made me as excited to pick up the CD case and listen to it (yet) again, not perhaps (and here I open myself up to being stoned by other BN fans) since Atom Shop..which again seemed breathless, excited and joyous in its approach have I felt so instantly rewarded by a complete album.

Since then there have been some truly wonderfully melodic, amazingly musical and enthralling albums which I wouldn't be without (I class these as the slow burners, smouldering on the shelf that I return to to dip into and have the Nelson fix). But this new one..well its an ugly two headed monster, it's noisy and it's rude and it sticks two fingers up to everything else and you know what... its all the better for it and as a result seems (to me) to stand tall and proud and a little bit defiant. And that can never be wrong...its (only) Rock and Roll after all...and I kinda like it!

So, finally thanks to everyone for an amazing evening, warm, friendly genuinely nice people relaxed and inviting... I had a great time and was a real treat to be there.

Oh... and finally to Bill, thanks for answering my question about moving from the Mackie system to software, my own temperamental Mackie gear seems to only like being friendly once in a while these days so I have had to adopt the Logic route out of necessity. Can't say I am completely sold on it and i agree I miss the physicality of a desk etc... but being able to carry the studio around on a laptop and work anywhere has its benefits.
So nice to see you sticking with Mackie while its still going strong..lets hope it helps you release another monster shortly...

On that note...Till the next VIP event...!

:)

Phil

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next