www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: A new track for Sara's Hope Foundation Charity.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:58 pm 
Regular

Don’t want to be pedantic but iTunes doesn’t really do MP3s anymore, with the exception of the Japanese iTunes store. As of January 2009 they use their own format, the larger file sized and slightly better fidelity MP4. And unlike the previous MP3s, these "files are unprotected and are encoded in the AAC format at 256 kbps, twice the bitrate of standard tracks" originally bought through the service. Just saying. :wink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Audio_Coding

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:03 am 
Regular

FLAC and WAV are lossless so you are receiving every sound detail that Bill recorded into the song.

mp3 and mpeg4/AAC (listed as .m4a files) are 'lossy' and very, very similar in what you actually receive. Some people hear the difference from lossless easily, others just don't notice.

Personally, I'd always buy the lossless version because a) it's a good cause and b) every freebie piece of converter software can turn a FLAC or WAV into mp3 or AAC.

My favourite conversion software is NCH Switch Sound Converter
http://www.nch.com.au/switch/index.html

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:24 pm 
Regular

Absolutely. Having the original WAV or AIF files are always going to be the best option, if only for the fact as you rightly mention, once you’ve got the source files you can convert them as you see fit. But until fairly recently, server space was a bit dear and fat enough pipes to carry such amounts of data efficiently have been the problem in terms of getting the larger files onto people’s computers via the internet. This now is beginning to be resolved with the introduction of fibre optics. But even that is years overdue and behind the technology curve, to a certain extent. Surely the day is coming when the original (copies) of the final mixes will be available on a more common basis. But then again, perhaps some artist feel that by retaining what are essentially the real masters, it gives them a sense of more control. As always, time will tell. :wink:

Oh, and as to the the 'ear test' of being able to tell the difference, some may be very surprised to find out that it is now common practice by most to have at least two different class of mixes. One for purity and pressing purposes, and another which pumps up the bottom and other assorted wily tweaks in order to make things sound good on MP3 players. This is becoming the new standard whether anyone likes it or not. :(

Not that anyone’s asking, but I don’t give a monkey’s because for me, it’s always about the music. Everything is just banal distractions.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:52 am 
Bar Staff

It was great meeting up with our good friends Alex and Ian Haydock @ Coleen`s Halloween Ball in aid of Saras Hope Foundation at the weekend .Julie and I were over the moon to receive an amazing £445 from this years Nelonica event in York - the money was raised from an auction and donations on the day.We would like to say a sincere thank you to Bill ,the Nelsonica team and everyone who contributed on the day - this money is really appreciated and will fund the flights for two children who are living wth cancer to visit Sara`s Retreat in 2013 :D A special thank you to Martin Bostock and Ian for their kindness and of course to our Patron Bill Nelson for helping us make dreams come true .
Warmest wishes
Ged and Julie x

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:57 am 
Bar Staff

Newsflash - Bill`s track Starland which he very kindly donated to Saras Hope Foundation will be available for download very soon - special thanks to Paul Gilby for his help and support ....
watch this space ..... :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:35 pm 
The Citizen

Glad you got the 'Starland' track safely Ged and hope you like the cover image I've chosen for it...I think it really suits the track's title! I hope fans will enjoy the song and donate generously to Sara's Hope Foundation in return for being able to download the track. :) All the very best to you and your family from Bill. x

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:50 am 
Bar Staff

Thanks Bill - love the artwork - Paul is kindly organising the download for us so I have not heard the track yet but have been informed that it is a gem :D Love to see you and Emi in Crete one day soon - a fab place for a Bill Nelson live show :)
Thanks so much for everything
Much love
Ged and Julie xx
ps just ordered your two latest cd`s to take back to Crete

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:00 pm 
Regular

Any news yet on when this track will be available for download?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:05 pm 
Regular

Just ordered The Dreamshire Chronicles and wondered about Starland - did I miss it?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:15 am 
Regular

Westdeep wrote:
Just ordered The Dreamshire Chronicles and wondered about Starland - did I miss it?

Ditto!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next