www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:18 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: THE DREAMSHIRE CHRONICLES : LISTENING NOTES FOR DISC TW
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:35 pm 
Regular

Bill Nelson wrote:
A thought struck me as I was listening through this album to prepare the listening notes: If there was to be such a thing as a Bill Nelson 'steampunk' album, 'The Dreamshire Chronicles' might well qualify. There's something antiquated, rustic yet futuristic about this one, a kind of neo-Victorian rock n' roll, steam-powered guitar amps and Tesla-coil keyboards coupled with a symphony orchestra staffed by women in long leather dresses and tall hats. Patinated copper pipe flutes and oboes, drums fashioned from old stoves and railway engine boilers, guitars that resemble a cross between crystal sets and concert harps. Everything lit by candlelight. :wink:

Image :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:48 pm 
The Citizen

BobK wrote:
When will some clips be put on the site?

I would think next week when Paul has time to sort that out. Not too long now! :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:16 am 
Regular

Quote:
There's something antiquated, rustic yet futuristic about this one, a kind of neo-Victorian rock n' roll, steam-powered guitar amps and Tesla-coil keyboards coupled with a symphony orchestra staffed by women in long leather dresses and tall hats. Patinated copper pipe flutes and oboes, drums fashioned from old stoves and railway engine boilers, guitars that resemble a cross between crystal sets and concert harps. Everything lit by candlelight.

Sounds like a theme for the cover. Probably too late now though.

Felix - With a bit of tweaking, could be a BN cover.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:41 am 
Regular

It's interesting to read about the creative process of doing the album(s). I like the orchestral approach to it.

As with a lot of Bill's work many tracks aren't standard verse, verse, chorus verse arrangements and only guitar, bass and drums type of instrumentation but some are. I guess it really demonstrates the kind of ideas behind the songs. Plus it helps if as BN you are a multi-instrumentalist achieving those sounds or that song in your head!

The reading notes would be nice in the CD liner notes? I was visualisng a super duper deluxe vinyl edition with gatefold sleeve and illustrations by the artist as well :)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2