www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Sun May 26, 2019 9:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: NEW CD - THE DREAMSHIRE CHRONICLES
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:33 pm 
Regular

Location: Uncle Sam Humanoid in the New York City metro area.
I am almost through my first listen of the two cds, and there are already some songs standing out such as "Smoke Drifts Silent in Autumn Air" "More than Glory More than Gold" and "Luna On the Beach." I am enjoying Disc Two.

The vocals are on the low side in spots, but I would not say on this release that they are too low. Could be tweaked up a bit for my liking. :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:35 pm 
The Citizen

There's a heck of a lot going on within the arrangements of many of my songs...complex interlocking parts, multiple layers and rich sonic textures. It's sometimes difficult to please everyone, particularly with what they might think of as a 'perfect' mix.

Truth is, once you get the vocals as high in the mix as some people might demand, the instrumentation suffers, and ends up sounding not very powerful. Or it makes the vocal sound like someone singing to a background Karaoke track... :lol:

In a live concert situation, vocals are often indistinct, certainly within a rock band where the bass and drums are usually super pumped-up and the guitars sound like a buzzing wall of chain saws. But when fans go to rock concerts, they've usually learned the lyrics to the songs previously, therefore actually hearing all the lyrics in the venue isn't particularly crucial as they're aleady reeling through the listener's mind/memory.

I suppose it all depends on the style of music...with my quieter, more minimal, 'ambient' vocal songs, you'll probably find that my voice appears more prominent...maybe it's because the lyrics are not battling against a multitude of loud guitars and dense layers of sonic textures.

Personally, I generally don't like the instrumental backing to sound too bland or 'background.'
I don't enjoy hearing music where the vocalist is so prominent in the mix that the instrumental components, or the band, sounds like they're playing in a completely different room or acoustic space to the singer, (especially when 'the band' is actually just me playing every instrument! I want you to dig the 'jigsaw-puzzle' connections in the instrumental section! :wink: :)

In any case, I have long-standing issues with the quality of my singing and wouldn't want to spoil your enjoyment by exposing it beyond my personal comfort zone levels! :lol: :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:58 pm 
Regular

I know what Getting On is talking about.

First started noticing the vocals being "too low in the mix" with 'Two Hearts Beating' from 'Luminous' but thought they sounded way cool.

I liked that they were "too quiet" and that they were going through an interesting filter.

Then on 'Blue Moons and Laughing Guitars' overall they sounded too low, I thought, but I still liked the effect.

Went back and compared the vocals with earlier Echo Observatory with-vocals records like 'The Two-fold Aspect' and concluded more or less what Bill described in that as more tracks become available with advancing technology, obviously the voice must settle in amongst all that. Am grateful for all the complexity. Always something new to hear.

Having said all that, I like your voice, Bill, and you're one of my favourite singers so I wouldn't kick, scream, cry and pout if there were couple of just-vocals-and-acoustic-guitar-type numbers every once in a while. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:19 pm 
Regular

alec wrote:
I know what Getting On is talking about.

First started noticing the vocals being "too low in the mix" with 'Two Hearts Beating' from 'Luminous' but thought they sounded way cool.

I liked that they were "too quiet" and that they were going through an interesting filter.

Then on 'Blue Moons and Laughing Guitars' overall they sounded too low, I thought, but I still liked the effect.

Went back and compared the vocals with earlier Echo Observatory with-vocals records like 'The Two-fold Aspect' and concluded more or less what Bill described in that as more tracks become available with advancing technology, obviously the voice must settle in amongst all that. Am grateful for all the complexity. Always something new to hear.

Having said all that, I like your voice, Bill, and you're one of my favourite singers so I wouldn't kick, scream, cry and pout if there were couple of just-vocals-and-acoustic-guitar-type numbers every once in a while. 8)

Spot on Alec, I like Bill's voice too, it is unique, tuneful and pleasant to listen to. I sometimes wonder if Bill knows just how good he is? Whilst it is endearing that he is genuinely very humble and "matter of fact" even to the self-depracating comments about his voice, it does come across as if he has scant regard for his talent. I don't mean this as a criticism, but wish he would not be so hard on himself. He gives us all so much joy with his music and I would reiterate again, that with "The Dreamshire Chronicles", I think he has made the PERFECT album that his inner self has been searching for. I hope that he knows this, as it would give him so much pleasure. But, sadly I doubt he will agree with me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:50 pm 
Regular

I like Bill's voice too, and I also like his lyrics...that's why I would like the vocals to be more out front on the vocal tracks. I think the mix on Dreamshire is closer to what I would like. To me, if I can't make out the lyrics because the vocals are too low, well then they are too low. What is the point of great lyrics if the vocals are getting lost in the rest of the music? There are some great lyrics on previous releases that I don't think have been appreciated due to mixing. Just my opinion.

Of course, the artist has the last word. :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:28 pm 
Regular

This is another good reason for publishing the lyrics :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:15 pm 
Regular

Pathdude wrote:
This is another good reason for publishing the lyrics :D

Yes Yes. :D When puzzleoyster posted the lyrics to "To What Strange Place Will This Transport You" I was shocked at how good they were, and knowing those lyrics transformed that song into one of my favorites from "Joy Through Amplification"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:44 am 
Regular

I think the vocal mix is bang on. I personally dislike vocals, (and guitar solo's for that matter), being to high in the mix. Sounds like karaoke.

As I always say...listen on headphones to get the best out of BN. There are so many little bits in the mix that are easy to miss out when its blasting out the home stereo/car. Though I do rather like blasting it out the home stereo/car!

Whilst here...hope all citizens have a jolly nice new year!

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:48 am 
Regular

8) just finished listening to the disc set & must say personaly I enjoyed disc 2 the most 8)
As I say this is just personal preferance :wink:
As for the vocals I find them more than acceptable :wink:
I allways thought the older you get the raspier your voice became :shock:
Not the case with Bill, should I say they have matured admirably :wink:

WHY
http://youtu.be/todLN22_G9E

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:16 pm 
Regular

Gavin Baker wrote:
8) just finished listening to the disc set & must say personaly I enjoyed disc 2 the most 8)
As I say this is just personal preferance :wink:
As for the vocals I find them more than acceptable :wink:
I allways thought the older you get the raspier your voice became :shock:
Not the case with Bill, should I say they have matured admirably :wink:

I am a disc two fan myself.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next