www.billnelson.com

Welcome to 'The Dreamsville Inn' - a virtual pub for the Nelsonian community
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Rosewood Vol 2 CD SOLD OUT
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:10 am 

Please Note:

Rosewood Volume 2 CD is now sold out.

Post subject: Re: Rosewood Vol 2 CD SOLD OUT
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:29 pm 
Regular

Should have sold out years ago :!:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:57 pm 
Regular

oops! :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:27 pm 
The Citizen

That an album as widely praised as this has taken just over 7 years to sell only 1,000 copies illustrates how hard it is to sustain a career as a musician in the face of internet piracy and file-sharing. These days, artists have to appeal directly to their fans to stay away from torrent sites and to think about the negative consequences of 'free' music. Unfortunately, the 'something for nothing' attitude seems to over-ride decency in many people's minds and the temptation to steal music, rather than pay for it, gets the upper hand. Considering how much music contributes to a 'civilised' society, you would think people would value it, (and its creators,) far more than they do. :(

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:52 pm 
Bugger. That'll teach me to arrive late at the party.

eBay here I come......
:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:33 pm 
Regular

Bill Nelson wrote:
... Unfortunately, the 'something for nothing' attitude seems to over-ride decency in many people's minds and the temptation to steal music, rather than pay for it, gets the upper hand...

A crime against artists, and driven home when an artist, such as yourself, explains their frustration with this current state of "file sharing." I wish more people who yammer about "loving" their muscians would read your statement, and make some serious changes to how they acquire music.

Putting a brighter spin on this thread, I do congratulate you for another "sold out," no matter how long it's taken -- A fine wine sometimes needs to age (D'OH! - seriously bad analogy alert!).

Cheers,
Roger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:42 pm 
Regular

Am going to join Sue, aquiresville and Andre and give this magical platter a spin right now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:23 pm 
Bill Nelson wrote:
That an album as widely praised as this has taken just over 7 years to sell only 1,000 copies illustrates how hard it is to sustain a career as a musician in the face of internet piracy and file-sharing.

I agree, up to a point. It depends on the mindset of your fans though. The recent release by Steven Wilson was leaked two months before release and appeared on every torrent and P2P site in the known universe - and possibly beyond.

Nonetheless he managed to sell out a deluxe version of the album that cost in the region of £40 and the album went straight into the UK and US album charts! He's just played the Royal Festival Hall and has now announced a further UK date at The Royal Albert Hall, so I assume he's not doing too badly in the face of internet piracy.

One can only assume his high profile and the support from his record company K-Scope has contributed to this.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:19 am 
The Citizen

Paul Andrews wrote:
I agree, up to a point. It depends on the mindset of your fans though. The recent release by Steven Wilson was leaked two months before release and appeared on every torrent and P2P site in the known universe - and possibly beyond.

Nonetheless he managed to sell out a deluxe version of the album that cost in the region of £40 and the album went straight into the UK and US album charts! He's just played the Royal Festival Hall and has now announced a further UK date at The Royal Albert Hall, so I assume he's not doing too badly in the face of internet piracy.

Well, I personally wouldn't know where to look for all this free stuff, though you may be more clued up than me. But even if I did I wouldn't avail myself of it...I'd just feel dirty and tainted and extremely guilty.

But there's a difference between the artist you mention and myself: Mr Wilson is now, for whatever reason, (musical or music industry-wise,) a relatively mainstream and popular artist compared to those of us who plough a more lonely and obscure creative furrow. (You know, the ability to sell tickets for gigs at the Royal Festival/ Albert Hall is not really within reach of someone such as myself.)

My point is that the type of illegal sites you mention are much more damaging to those of us on the, (let's say,) outer fringes of the industry than those who sit comfortably within it. The 'big boys' suffer less from this kind of thing than the little swimmers in the poisoned ocean of file-sharing.

The frightening fact is that my ability to survive as a professional artist is seriously at risk as a direct result of 'fans' who don't stop to consider the ultimate result of their 'music for nothing' mind-set.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:33 am 
Regular

Location: Dreamsville Bureau of Realistic Attributions and Technosurvivalism
Paul Andrews wrote:
Bill Nelson wrote:
That an album as widely praised as this has taken just over 7 years to sell only 1,000 copies illustrates how hard it is to sustain a career as a musician in the face of internet piracy and file-sharing.

One can only assume his high profile and the support from his record company K-Scope has contributed to this.
I got a copy of that 40 quid deluxe edition of SW's new one (all the discs that are not generally available with the normal release and the big book!). Only because I am on Burning Shed's mailing list and I was informed of the pre-release orders three months prior to the actual release. Paid for in advance and I had great anticipation of it arriving (I wasn't disappointed).

Bill Nelson wrote:
Unfortunately, the 'something for nothing' attitude seems to over-ride decency in many people's minds and the temptation to steal music, rather than pay for it, gets the upper hand. Considering how much music contributes to a 'civilised' society, you would think people would value it, (and its creators,) far more than they do. :(

There it is. Internet piracy is not good at all but there is no conceivable way of stopping it as many people are amoral when it comes to the internet (look at eBay's profiteering and bootlegs). As for whether society is actually "civilised" (or ever really has been) that is a much deeper question.

As far as a Rosewood goes I occasionally see copies come up on eBay or Discogs. (I am assuming they are legitimate and not bootlegs/copies).

If they do get listed the lottery is open to all who want to buy them for pleasure... or, unfortunately in some cases, for profit.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next